Front Suspension Problem/Squeak/Squeal !! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Exclamation Front Suspension Problem/Squeak/Squeal !!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and I am pleased to be signed up here because I bought my 95 4.6 LX about 5 months ago. Here is the thread I mentioned in my newbie thread

Ok, well to get to the point, I am having a suspension issue that I am having trouble diagnosing. Basically, the suspension squeaks and creaks TERRIBLY when turning the steering wheel.

Now background and other general info:

- When i first bought the car, it had this issue but it was very light and I figured it was minor, but as time went it became worse.

- If i jack up the car, the squealing doesn't occur because the car isnt under load, so, the only way I can look at the suspension sound is if the car is on the ground. Because of this, it makes it a little harder to check it out.

- When I park my car at my house, I park it along side the curb. Now I have noticed that when I first pull off and accelerate (as the nose of the car picks up a little when i first drive off, like a normal car does) and turn the steering wheel just to test it out, the squeaking doesn't occur. After i release the gas pedal the very first time (when the nose drops a little or whatever, like a normal car does) the squeaking when turning comes back instantly as if the pressure or load is applied back to whatever suspension part is causing the sound.

- Around the end of January I replaced my inner tie rods (because I had bad inner tie rods) and my sway bar links on both sides. Now i noticed after i changed these parts, the squeaking went away when I turn the steering wheel, but after about two days, it came back. I dont know what this means, but it came back after taking the highway somewhere.

- Sometimes when it rains, it seems like rain "hits the right spot" and the sound dampens somewhat.

Ever since then, it has been getting worse. I do think its something to deal with the LCA or lower ball joint more than anything... or something, but I just wanted to hear everyone else's input first.

Here are some videos of it squeaking, enjoy:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfo3QtR2iAE

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i695N...eature=related

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxpIk...eature=related

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHEN4p7zrY

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Have you looked at the lower ball joints?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Ford had an issue with "dry" ball joints. I know the Crown Vic's had a real bad issue with that for several years, expecially in the interceptor package.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Faster than Porkchop

Yup , lower ball joint. Mine did the same , I came to find out that the ball joint / control arm I bought had no grease in it and I drove it like that for a few months!!!

lol

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Have you looked at the lower ball joints?

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by supv26 View Post
Ford had an issue with "dry" ball joints. I know the Crown Vic's had a real bad issue with that for several years, expecially in the interceptor package.
Yeah I thought it would be the lower ball joints. Actually, my brother felt the lower ball joints while I was turning the wheel constantly and he said he could feel an abnormal vibration coming from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjchevez View Post
Yup , lower ball joint. Mine did the same , I came to find out that the ball joint / control arm I bought had no grease in it and I drove it like that for a few months!!!

lol
Hah I've been driving like this for like almost 6-7 months now. Time to order the parts and give an update in a few weeks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird Zak View Post
Yeah I thought it would be the lower ball joints. Actually, my brother felt the lower ball joints while I was turning the wheel constantly and he said he could feel an abnormal vibration coming from them

Hah I've been driving like this for like almost 6-7 months now. Time to order the parts and give an update in a few weeks
look up www.rockauto.com for parts.....great prices!

Put it this way, I scored a set of lowers for way cheaper than you can buy them in town.
Autozone wanted $108 a piece for the dorman lowers, I got them at $29 a piece!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
It is nice

yea in video 4 it looks like the lower ball joint has play in it somewhat

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 03:12 PM
5th Gear Poster

Check the strut rod bushings hard to tell from the video but it looks like nothings left. Good idea to do thse while your doing the lower ball joints

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post

Put it this way, I scored a set of lowers for way cheaper than you can buy them in town.
Yeah I usually always get my parts online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CougarLS View Post
yea in video 4 it looks like the lower ball joint has play in it somewhat
Tried looking at what you're talking about and dont see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer471 View Post
Check the strut rod bushings hard to tell from the video but it looks like nothings left. Good idea to do thse while your doing the lower ball joints
I will definitely check those out tomorrow
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:

Me personally I would stay away from dorman they are O.E. brand. Get the trw or moog you won't be sorry. You can get the joint itself pretty cheap but you'll have to press out the old one and press in the new. If you buy the whole arm it's a little more but everything is new. I've got ssome O.E. brand arms I bought and just looking at them scared me. Never installed them.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Me personally I would stay away from dorman they are O.E. brand. Get the trw or moog you won't be sorry. You can get the joint itself pretty cheap but you'll have to press out the old one and press in the new. If you buy the whole arm it's a little more but everything is new. I've got ssome O.E. brand arms I bought and just looking at them scared me. Never installed them.
I got them in my hands and they will be just fine for my application....

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:37 PM
PostWhore

Garage
i always buy ball joints that have zerks, doesn't matter what brand. usually safe to say if it has a zerk and you grease it regularly it will last far longer than the cheep OE stuff without em. especially if it has Teflon inside instead of metal on metal.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM
PostSlut

These didn't have them......neither did my orignals....they orignals were not "bad", the boot was just torn on both.

My car might see 5 miles a year....so these should last just fine for the life of the car.

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
I got them in my hands and they will be just fine for my application....
Ball joints or lower arm assembly? If you got the arms,
When you get your originals off compare them to the dormans. My O.E. Brand actually had the ball joint formed into the control arm and the bushings weren't pressed in properly. Just looked scary as hell!

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Ball joints or lower arm assembly? If you got the arms,
When you get your originals off compare them to the dormans. My O.E. Brand actually had the ball joint formed into the control arm and the bushings weren't pressed in properly. Just looked scary as hell!
I did - the Dorman had a bigger top hat over the ball joint, and the bushings were pressed in just fine.

That's about the ONLY thing that's not Moog or TRW on the front now, though

RwP
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:10 AM
4th Gear Poster

my old marquis had this noise and iirc it was the lower bj...

Have you jacked it up and do the tie rod/bj shake wheel test? If its tight i'd suggest maybe hitting up youre local parts store and get a grease gun w/ needle point and injecting the boot w/ grease. Mine was to far gone by the time i did it. You prob are to but its worth a shot

I have a similiar noise in my mark but its only on slight up and down front suspension movement. And only when its cold but usually goes away after 5-10 min...The noise is non existent above 50 degrees.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcaprice305 View Post
my old marquis had this noise and iirc it was the lower bj...

Have you jacked it up and do the tie rod/bj shake wheel test? If its tight i'd suggest maybe hitting up youre local parts store and get a grease gun w/ needle point and injecting the boot w/ grease. Mine was to far gone by the time i did it. You prob are to but its worth a shot

I have a similiar noise in my mark but its only on slight up and down front suspension movement. And only when its cold but usually goes away after 5-10 min...The noise is non existent above 50 degrees.
Yeah i've done the check both ways and its tight both ways on both sides. Ill try the autoparts + needle injecting grease gun
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Oh yeah, and to everyone, do you think it could be bad wheel bearings (i doubt)? I do know that my front passenger side has bad wheel bearings...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in