Front shock mount question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Front shock mount question

I took my Voughtland springs and new shocks to a shop this morning along with new shock mounts. They called and said there is a washer that goes between the nut and shock mount and it was not in the kit and they can't assemble everything with out it.

I called a local ford dealer and they are obsolete. Even if they had them it was a kit and was $170. Both the shop & I checked local parts stores to see it someone offered it no one does. Monroe & Gabriel sells a complete shock assembly so I don't see why they don't put one in the shock mount kit. The shop didn't think a flat washer would work.

I really don't want to have to take the old shocks off. I just wanted to be able to remove the old ones and put in the new ones as I'm going to a friends place in a little town with one or two shops and they tend to not do walk in service.

Does anyone know if I can get by with a flat washer or where I can get this special d*** washer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
6th Gear Poster

I installed Vogtlands with Konis on two of my 96 TBirds. I do not clearly recollect exactly how it all went together, but I just looked at on of my cars and I think I see the washer you are referencing. This goes below the large nut that threads down on the top of the shock and the large metal cup that sits on top of the rubber mount? I used a lock washer. However, if you are talking about the metal cup, you must use this. Get one in a junk yard if you have to.

If the metal cups, where are the old ones that should be on the car now? If you have them, reuse them.

Mitch
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

It is the metal cup I'm refering to. I'm planning on doing the work at a friends place so I want to just be able to pull he old shock assembles out ant out the new ones in.

Where he lives is a smalll town and they have two shops that don't take walk ins even though it's just having some spring & shocks assembled. It jsut kills me that you can't get the damn cups aftermarket. Gabriel & Monroe have to be getting them for their Easy Struts they sell. Why not put then with the shock mounts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The problem is you dont want to ruin the upper mount.

Swapping it out is easy if the shock is already on the car.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

hardened washer

Hi

Get a couple of hardened washers.
swap out the washers on your car. You can remove the upper nut while still on the car. replace with the hardened washers. replace the nut.
EASY!

Take the cupped washers to who is assembling the new shocks.

During the swap the big nut on top is the only one you don't remove!

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtess View Post
Hi

Get a couple of hardened washers.
swap out the washers on your car. You can remove the upper nut while still on the car. replace with the hardened washers. replace the nut.
EASY!

Take the cupped washers to who is assembling the new shocks.

During the swap the big nut on top is the only one you don't remove!

Would it be safe to drive with the hardened washer? I'm talking a 100 mile trip to my friends place.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLA View Post
Would it be safe to drive with the hardened washer? I'm talking a 100 mile trip to my friends place.
The factory washer is big enough not to go down thru the hole.

If you hit a bump that tops out the suspension, and the rubber doesn't hold, the shock comes apart.

I bought a set from a junkyard. You have to sit on the fender to loosen it up to take it off; sport shocks will come apart when you get up, lol. But not too violently. YMMV, and I'm nuts.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post

I bought a set from a junkyard. You have to sit on the fender to loosen it up to take it off; sport shocks will come apart when you get up, lol. But not too violently. YMMV, and I'm nuts.
Did the same thing, no coming apart though. I got them from a regular LX standing on the ground in front of the car.

-Matt
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
I really needed the washers to put together a set of shocks on my sport springs; I was afraid they would pull thru.

Since I put them together with manual tools, I thought the factory washers were a good idea.

I would not recommend that procedure to anyone; failure is a messy option...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in