SuperCoupe Performance - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

SuperCoupe Performance

Any one have any experience with the KYB shocks SCP sell? I need to replace my stock ones and I also wanted to get lowered springs so I need something that will handle the drop,looking at the Vogtland 1.6 springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 04:27 PM
PostWhore

You can get the KYB shocks from Summit for a lot less than SCP. I paid 155 plus handling for a set of 4.

I haven't put them on yet. That's happening in two weeks.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
or try http://www.shockwarehouse.com/

I ordered my Vogtlands from SCP and they took like 8 weeks to get delivered. Which wasn't SCP's fault.

You may also want to price the springs at http://spinningwheels-sc.com/

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 PM
4th Gear Poster

Or rockauto.com. That's where I picked up a replacement for one of mine that had a nut seized on it.
As far as experience with them, they are too soft in my opinion. My last bird had Bilsteins, so I might have been spoiled. The stock sport shocks are better if you ever come across some.

1997 LX Sport..Eibachs & KYBs...245/50s on Eagle Alloy 16x7s...SC rear sway bar...94 SC seats...Mark VIII ds...SCT tuned by Lasotta Racing ...Dirty Dog Marauder converter... Trans by Supergordo
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
Or rockauto.com. That's where I picked up a replacement for one of mine that had a nut seized on it.
As far as experience with them, they are too soft in my opinion. My last bird had Bilsteins, so I might have been spoiled. The stock sport shocks are better if you ever come across some.
Nothing can be as soft as my worn out shocks. I've only had it 3 years but I can almost guarntee they are the original shocks. BTW my Cougar has 204k on it

Don't you know they are going to be fun to get off.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM
PostWhore

check out shox.com too, they offer free shipping on most shocks. Ive bought KYB's and Koni's from them and were here in a few days. They process orders really quickly. TCCOA members get a discount too.

If you buy Koni's hold onto your receipt you'll need it

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Why do you say that?

-Joe-
1994 Ford Thunderbird SC 5-Speed
1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #1251
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
PostWhore

A few people here including myself have had bad experiences with the Koni Sports (adjustables), they just don't last. I think my front ones were in all of 6 months before one completely blew out and the other one was leaking. The ones on the back seem ok but they don't get the abuse the front ones get.

-Kelly
Fuelly
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 01:08 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
check out shox.com too, they offer free shipping on most shocks. Ive bought KYB's and Koni's from them and were here in a few days. They process orders really quickly. TCCOA members get a discount too.

+1

bought shocks 4 times off shox.com. excellent price and service

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 01:59 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
A few people here including myself have had bad experiences with the Koni Sports (adjustables), they just don't last. I think my front ones were in all of 6 months before one completely blew out and the other one was leaking. The ones on the back seem ok but they don't get the abuse the front ones get.
Interesting...I'll have to look into that. I've always heard nothing but good about the Koni's.

-Joe-
1994 Ford Thunderbird SC 5-Speed
1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #1251
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM
PostWhore

Had Koni's on a bird for over 4 years with no problems. Top notch shocks.

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 02:16 PM
PostWhore

Well with my experience with Koni's and posts I've read here over the last 5 years was enough for me to steer away from them. Lowered cars are also harder on shocks and driving styles has an impact too. People have had good luck with them too though, just my preference.

-Kelly
Fuelly
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Everyone I know with Konis has been happy with them. I've heard about the bilstiens breaking spring mounts, Tokico blues losing their firmness after a week, KYB being plain junk, ect. Nothing bad is usually said about konis other than being really stiff.

-Matt
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Everyone I know with Konis has been happy with them. I've heard about the bilstiens breaking spring mounts, Tokico blues losing their firmness after a week, KYB being plain junk, ect. Nothing bad is usually said about konis other than being really stiff.
And $600 a set then you have to cut apart the OEM front shocks and put the Koni's in. For $600 the damn things better install themselves. I myself have better things to spend money on then $600 sets of shocks.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLA View Post
And $600 a set then you have to cut apart the OEM front shocks and put the Koni's in. For $600 the damn things better install themselves. I myself have better things to spend money on then $600 sets of shocks.

my fronts with springs cost $700.

rear shocks I'm going to use are Mustang Koni adjustables.

So, I guess I have roughly $1000 in shocks on my car.....

want to go fast, and be able to handle it?
You have to spend money.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Ive installed a couple sets of Koni's in Tbirds .. fun job. I dont care much for having to set the adjustment, but it is a nice feature if you like playing with your settings.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
You have to spend money.
Agreed.

I love my konis; I had to adjust them when it got cold, and again when it warmed up, but other than that they rule.

They were too stiff with my summer settings when the temp dropped below about 40, so I had to back off a half-turn.

Koni's do have a limit on a drop, tho; I remember reading the number, but I don't remember what it was, lol.

I'm adding adjustable spring perches to the next set I build, along with my sport springs.

I'd rather have a set of QA-1's; anyone else in for a group purchase? No one? Hello?

(lol; look at _95badbird's $1000 shocks, iirc)

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 AM
PostWhore

I loved mine too till they blew out 6 months later.

But like a lot of parts it's hit and miss. My Bird is only dropped 1.5" so that possibly may have had something to do with it but I doubt it. I drive my car a lot of highway miles through mountains and love the it way drives now. Not too soft, not too stiff and its glued to the road in the turns.

I screwed up on a previous post too, I don't have the KYB's I have the Tokico HP blues on the front. I realized my mistake when I reread the post. My brain must have misfired, a lot going on lately here.

-Kelly
Fuelly
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post

my fronts with springs cost $700.

rear shocks I'm going to use are Mustang Koni adjustables.

So, I guess I have roughly $1000 in shocks on my car.....

You have to spend money.
Yeah seriously, I agree. Besides spending money on tokico's or kyb's is like throwing $250+ out the window....
(or whatever they cost these days).

if you compare fully adjustable coilovers, given there really isn't much of any good shock options (without having old front bilsteins to rebuild), if your buying springs and shox I think fully adjustable coilovers are the way to go, not alot more, and you get so much more adjustability. Ride height, spring rate choices, fully adjustable shock valving.

Don't you have some on yours badbird?

I don't think there is any kind of bolt-in kit for the Tbird unfortunately so it's got to be all custom, and then it helps to work with a company whom knows what they are doing for proper mounting/geometry, spring rates and shock selection, etc.

1997 Sport - Work in progress:>
MP BB 304 Teksid 4v- w IC'd / Ported M112
Need:
Eaton pulley puller (VMP or BF preferred)
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Yeah seriously, I agree. Besides spending money on tokico's or kyb's is like throwing $250+ out the window....
(or whatever they cost these days).

if you compare fully adjustable coilovers, given there really isn't much of any good shock options (without having old front bilsteins to rebuild), if your buying springs and shox I think fully adjustable coilovers are the way to go, not alot more, and you get so much more adjustability. Ride height, spring rate choices, fully adjustable shock valving.

Don't you have some on yours badbird?

I don't think there is any kind of bolt-in kit for the Tbird unfortunately so it's got to be all custom, and then it helps to work with a company whom knows what they are doing for proper mounting/geometry, spring rates and shock selection, etc.
Yes, in the front.

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I've been looking at adjustable perches on Summit; anyone know of a source for STEEL adjustments?

I'm afraid the aluminum spring adjuster will give under the sport springs. I can machine a spacer to fit our springs.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
6th Gear Poster

I can see QA1 right on the side of the spring.... I think I'm going to eventually go the same route on the front. Very nice setup.... How have you liked them so far?

1997 Sport - Work in progress:>
MP BB 304 Teksid 4v- w IC'd / Ported M112
Need:
Eaton pulley puller (VMP or BF preferred)
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
... I think I'm going to eventually go the same route on the front...
The only issue with those shocks shows in the photo; The bottom mount is custom for our cars.

I tried to find the guys that made the GP a few years back and couldn't, I hope you have better luck. Or know better people than I do.

I'd buy a set.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Resident drifter

I would be up for a group purchase on coilovers. has anyone tried to adapt a set of bc coilovers? Im assuming not, because I would have probably heard about it. the biggest problem I'd imagine wouldn't be the mounting (there are plenty of cars with lower mounts like thunderbirds, 350zs for instance), I would presume that finding the proper spring rate and shock valving would be the issue. That being said, It is possible. However, getting a company to work with you on it would be much more challenging due to the severe lack of market - the reason why we cant have anything nice.

also, My konis are already leaking, and I have had them for less than a year and maybe 3-5000 miles of driving although I'm pretty sure it has been less than that.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidebird91 View Post
I would be up for a group purchase on coilovers. has anyone tried to adapt a set of bc coilovers? Im assuming not, because I would have probably heard about it. the biggest problem I'd imagine wouldn't be the mounting (there are plenty of cars with lower mounts like thunderbirds, 350zs for instance), I would presume that finding the proper spring rate and shock valving would be the issue. That being said, It is possible. However, getting a company to work with you on it would be much more challenging due to the severe lack of market - the reason why we cant have anything nice.

also, My konis are already leaking, and I have had them for less than a year and maybe 3-5000 miles of driving although I'm pretty sure it has been less than that.
Driving or Drifting? LOL

3-5000 miles of Drifting = 100,000 + miles of HARD driving.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

calling Denny at D & D Race Technologies 320-629-4769 and get another GP done for the QA1's. He's the one that did the original gp.
STOP ASKING ME ABOUT THESE IM NOT SELLING THEM IM NOT DOING A GP, IM NOT IN CHARGE OF ANYTHING. IM JUST SUPPLYING THE PHONE NUMBER TO THE GUY THAT DID THEM IN THE PAST. CALL DENNY STOP BUGGING ME ABOUT THEM.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

Last edited by VicRattlehead; 04-10-2011 at 08:51 PM.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
I can see QA1 right on the side of the spring.... I think I'm going to eventually go the same route on the front. Very nice setup.... How have you liked them so far?
don,
i like mine a lot, you can really tell the difference between the soft and hard sides. i havent really been able to dial in what exact setting works the best for me, just havent had enough runs with them.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Resident drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Driving or Drifting? LOL

3-5000 miles of Drifting = 100,000 + miles of HARD driving.
3 drift events and maybe 3000 miles of regular driving. I really like the shocks, but im not sure whats up with the leaking. I've also noticed that it seems like the adjustment in the rear is different between the two shocks. basically if it takes 2.5 turns on one side soft to full, it takes 2.25 turns on the other....strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead View Post
alrighty then, calling Denny at D & D Race Technologies 320-629-4769 and get another GP done for the QA1's. He's the one that did the original gp.
seriously, Ill buy a set
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead View Post
don,
i like mine a lot, you can really tell the difference between the soft and hard sides. i havent really been able to dial in what exact setting works the best for me, just havent had enough runs with them.
Like Vic said, I like them a bunch too....but have also not had a lot runs with them yet.

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidebird91 View Post
seriously, Ill buy a set
Me too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in