Confused on Bushing terminology... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Confused on Bushing terminology...

Hi guys,
I just got my 94 Thunderbird LX inspected today (gotta love VA), and was told that the Left Rear Upper Arm Bushing (Outer) and the Right Rear Upper Arm Bushing (Lower) were bad.

I've replaced the front suspension, so I'm not a complete noob, but in researching parts cost, these bushings are listed as Arm to Knuckle and Arm to Frame when shopping online.

Is the "Outer" the Arm to Knuckle, and the "Inner" the Arm to Frame? That's what I think I'm seeing in looking through old posts, but I want to be sure as the cost for getting it wrong is more than I care to throw away.

Thanks in advance for helping the slower kid in the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You got it right. Though "Right Rear Upper Arm Bushing (Lower)" makes no sense lol

-Matt
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brikdivit View Post
Hi guys,
I just got my 94 Thunderbird LX inspected today (gotta love VA),
Don't feel bad. We have the same crap here in the state of Misery (Missouri)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
You got it right. Though "Right Rear Upper Arm Bushing (Lower)" makes no sense lol
D'oh! Thanks for the quick reply and reading through my dreary eyed typing.. Should have read "Right Rear Upper Arm Bushing (Inner)"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLA View Post
Don't feel bad. We have the same crap here in the state of Misery (Missouri)
Exactly! Glad I'm lucky enough to have a mechanic buddy that knows I take care of my bird and passes mine

Mike
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help in identifying....

Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to get the old bushing out? I'd like to avoid going to a shop if possible, because I shouldn't have to take the driver's side UCA all the way off, and it's Sunday, meaning no shops are open.

I called AZ and they said there was no bushing removal tool. That seems wrong to me, but I can't find anything online either.

Thanks again for the help.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
let us know how it goes, im gonna be doin mine shortly,, got one bushing already jus gotta get the other one... cut my hours at work so u know how that goes..

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brikdivit View Post
Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to get the old bushing out? I'd like to avoid going to a shop if possible, because I shouldn't have to take the driver's side UCA all the way off, and it's Sunday, meaning no shops are open.

I called AZ and they said there was no bushing removal tool. That seems wrong to me, but I can't find anything online either.

Thanks again for the help.
I changed mine and I used a press. I understand you may not have access to one, but you should be able to use a bench vice with a hammer. Also, I think some have had good luck with a bolt, a couple of nuts, and different sized washers.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
I changed mine and I used a press. I understand you may not have access to one, but you should be able to use a bench vice with a hammer. Also, I think some have had good luck with a bolt, a couple of nuts, and different sized washers.
This. a combination of pipe or large sockets with the nut and bolts is IMO the best way. Hammers don't work very well with rubber though.

-Matt
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
This. a combination of pipe or large sockets with the nut and bolts is IMO the best way. Hammers don't work very well with rubber though.
No, that isn't exactly what I meant. A lot of times at the shop, I can crank the pressure on something I'm trying to push out with the bench vice. Then, when the vice is as tight as I can get it, I hit the vice front with a hammer and that extra jolt will move whatever I'm trying to press out. Then, I re-tighten the vice, whack it again, repeat, until it comes out.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

I got the old outer off and the new one in...

I actually used a control arm bushing tool kit I rented from Advanced auto. This is a link to it...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2083_____

It's really designed for front uppers from the instructions, but a little playing around with the components and I got the old one out and the new one in with it. Worked a lot easier than what I was trying before!

Still have the Inner to do on the right side, but I broke some tools trying to get the knuckle bolt free to get to the inside...I'll take a whack at it again tomorrow I guess.

Last edited by Brikdivit; 04-17-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Link wouldn't link.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Veteran Poster

Yay, no vehicle inspections here in Oregon!

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
Yay, no vehicle inspections here in Oregon!
great!

so i will never know when the next POS is about to kill me and my family because the brakes are gone or a ball joint snaps.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoeke View Post
great!

so i will never know when the next POS is about to kill me and my family because the brakes are gone or a ball joint snaps.
I see more POS in the state of Missouri that is an inspction state than I do anywhere else. It's hard to find a trust worthy shop to do an ispection as a lot of people don't know the shop is lying to them about a part needing to be replaced.

I have yet to find a shop that will do safety inspections on a Saturday if they are open. Then I have to waste a day of vacation to get an inspection.

All the inspection is in Missouri is a revenue source for the state. The shops don't make suqat from doing the inspections.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
great!

Paaaaaalease, there's as big of a chance that someone will careen into you and kill you because the tech who installed the new ball joint or arm for inspection didn't properly torque down the fasteners. Like LOLA said, it's a money grab.

-Matt
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
great!

The problems caused by drunken illegal aliens careening into oncoming traffic (here in Oregon, anyway) far outweighs the potential problems caused by those problems you'd think that would be an issue with maintenance items not being taken care of....it just doesn't happen. In addition, the odds of someone losing a suspension component right as you're passing by....

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
The problems caused by drunken illegal aliens careening into oncoming traffic (here in Oregon, anyway) far outweighs the potential problems caused by those problems you'd think that would be an issue with maintenance items not being taken care of....it just doesn't happen. In addition, the odds of someone losing a suspension component right as you're passing by....
Ha you said drunken illegals dude I live next to the boarder. Drunken illegals are everywhere here and its just a fact of life here. But the best part is, is they like to leave this state for others. Also sleepiness is just as bad as being drunk and lots of people aren't getting enough sleep.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Ha you said drunken illegals dude I live next to the boarder. Drunken illegals are everywhere here and its just a fact of life here. But the best part is, is they like to leave this state for others. Also sleepiness is just as bad as being drunk and lots of people aren't getting enough sleep.
I just saw a commercial on TV that showed driving while under the influence is way down, but accidents due to "distracted drivers", including tired, texting, talking, make-up, changing, combing hair, whatever else everyone does when they're supposed to be paying attention to the road & other cars is way up!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in