Help! Front end links stuck - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Help! Front end links stuck

I am trying to change out my front sway bar end links, have both nuts removed, amd they will not budge. Tried hammering on the only place easily accessable, the stud going through the spindle...now I have a stud with ruined threads, and the old end link is still stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I am trying to change out my front sway bar end links, have both nuts removed, amd they will not budge. Tried hammering on the only place easily accessable, the stud going through the spindle...now I have a stud with ruined threads, and the old end link is still stuck.
PB it good, let it soak for an hour, go back and PB it again, let it soak another hour.

Then whack on it.

Too late to put the nut back on (which is what you're supposed to do, let the nut also take the impact and protect the threads).

If that doesn't work, then you may need to grab a set of spindles and swap them ...

RwP
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:08 PM
4th Gear Poster

I changed mine last week but i was able to break the top bolt through with a few swings of a 2&1/2 lb hammer. I don't think a regular framing hammer has enough heft to get it done. Since yours are ruined anyway you can really go to town on them. A torch on the threads wouldn't hurt either as long as you keep it away from the brakes. I used a big pry bar to get the bottom bolt out. You might try a big c clamp to push it through as well.

The good thing is that you could drive the car with them like they are now if you have too. It just won't corner very well.

1997 LX Sport..Eibachs & KYBs...245/50s on Eagle Alloy 16x7s...SC rear sway bar...94 SC seats...Mark VIII ds...SCT tuned by Lasotta Racing ...Dirty Dog Marauder converter... Trans by Supergordo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
X2 I use the same hammer for my nuclear option, hasn't failed me yet and I'm in the rust belt.

-Matt
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I got the old one out with a ball joint separator....put the new one in the spindle cannot get the other end into the sway bar, it is like the link is too long, but that is not the case, it is exactly the same size as the old one....and now I can't get the new one out of the spindle side....i don't want to damage it
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Make sure both front tires are off the ground. If not then there will be load on the suspension from the other side pushing the sway bar up on the side you're working on.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Veteran Poster

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

LOL @ the bomb...i did consider that one, for a bit.

I had one wheel on a ramp, got both in the air and all was good. New links are on, however the rattle is still there, unchanged.....

Last edited by Earl; 04-09-2011 at 09:43 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

EvilMooseofDoom, your ride is da bomb, yo!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM
PostWhore

Hit the side of the spindle with a hammer in the area where the end link stud goes through and it'll fall rite out! Ull see a flat area on the side of spindle (hit there) That's how I do mine when I change em.. Works everytime!

1995 Tbird ~ 02 explorer SVO 4.6 Sold
1986 built/restored notch body mustang ~ appears as a 91+ built 5.0 gt40p, Ud pullies, ss headers, msd everything, arp head bolts, 1.7 crane roller rockers, B303 cam, Holley carb, high rise intake,5 speed, steeda everything. Sold
2001 GT BULLITT #00762 stock
2000 GT ~ 310 rwhp on mustang dyno. 08 2v, super low miles, comp 262 cams, bbk ud pullies, ported bullitt intake/accufab TB, 24# injectors, dyno tuned, 3inch pypes catless x pipe system, cobra brakes, coated cross & drilled rotors, Cobra r hood, 99-01 cobra front bumper, & 01-04 side scoops, dropped
2003 z71 avalanche fully loaded
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 AM
PostWhore

I used a pickle fork. It was a royal PITA so make sure you use good parts because if you have to do it again, well you get the idea.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Project-bird View Post
I used a pickle fork. It was a royal PITA so make sure you use good parts because if you have to do it again, well you get the idea.
yeah, pickle fok worked great.... hit the other stud with a hammer and it went flying out.

I used genuine Ford parts from the dealer....I learned my lesson, especially with suspension pieces, go factory, or don't bother.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Make sure both front tires are off the ground. If not then there will be load on the suspension from the other side pushing the sway bar up on the side you're working on.
I've found the opposite to work for me. Take a tire off, PBlaster, load the suspension slightly with a jack,and they should come out with a blow of a hammer. Mine came out very easy like that....... twice.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
yeah, pickle fok worked great.... hit the other stud with a hammer and it went flying out.

I used genuine Ford parts from the dealer....I learned my lesson, especially with suspension pieces, go factory, or don't bother.
I also did my front end links this weekend. i went with the Deeza links. I had read on other forums (via google) that they are using a unique, patented design for the ball joint. I also like the idea of the "bent" link rather than the straight link. I would think that this design would put less stress on the ball joint...but I am by no means an engineer!

I will give them a shot, they seem very well built upon inspection. We shall see.

Comparison pic:

Jon, 96 Thunderbird LX Sport
2004 Explorer PI, 02 GT MAF + Airbox, BBK 78mm TB, Marauder TC, Ceramic coated ported manifolds by Braincoating, 3.73 Trac lok, Cut Sport springs, SC side skirts

Last edited by J_Mac57; 04-10-2011 at 09:55 PM.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Interesting...has anybody ever actually had a ball joint on a sway bar link fail?
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Interesting...has anybody ever actually had a ball joint on a sway bar link fail?
My father was killed by one when it failed.

He got better, however.
Luke Hollosy likes this.

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
4th Gear Poster

Well, I wouldn't say actually fail to the extent of breaking into pieces but I think the design had to do with overall integrity. I mean, my old joints just flopped around, hopefully these will last a bit longer and stay "tight."

Here is what the website says:

http://www.deezachassis.com/parts_sl.asp

But again....

2004 Explorer PI, 02 GT MAF + Airbox, BBK 78mm TB, Marauder TC, Ceramic coated ported manifolds by Braincoating, 3.73 Trac lok, Cut Sport springs, SC side skirts
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

^^ durned interesting there thanx for posting!!
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 PM
PostWhore

I just ordered the Deeza's from Rock Auto. They are 18.48 ea. It said they only had 18 left when I ordered them.

Moog's were close to $50ea.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah I paid 97 dollars for my ford links...and that was 10% above cost....
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 PM

I think it helped me by putting a stand under the lower control arm and letting a little of the weight back down on the stand. The top stud came out with a couple hammer strikes. The bottom one is tougher because there is no where accessable to hammer it. So either one of those pry forks or do what I did.

Clamp a fairly large set of vice grips onto the stud on the outer side right in between the "ball" and the sway bar. Locking the pliers down real tight should wedge them real solid in between the two parts you want separated. Then hammer the side of the vice grips (towards the outside of car, of course) a couple times and that stud should pop out.

Don't know how good this is for your pliers, but if they are name brand and you don't have to beat them too hard, they should survive.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 PM
PostWhore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Mac57 View Post
I also did my front end links this weekend. i went with the Deeza links. I had read on other forums (via google) that they are using a unique, patented design for the ball joint. I also like the idea of the "bent" link rather than the straight link. I would think that this design would put less stress on the ball joint...but I am by no means an engineer!

I will give them a shot, they seem very well built upon inspection. We shall see.

Comparison pic:

I ordered two at Amazon, Deeza # FO-L643 .... price was good enough that I'll give them a try!

Funny, my '92 Sport with 140+K miles has originals that are still tight enough that they don't rattle, but my '95 with 70K miles has a constantly rattling left front link? I'll put these on the '95 and save the tighter right one as a spare.

Edit 06-10-11

The two Deeza # FO-L643 links I ordered from Amazon came yesterday finally and I installed them tonigt after it cooled off. They are exactly as appear in the pic above, when I ordered them they had two left at $10.31 each and qualified for free shipping on orders over $25. I got a case for my Casio Ravine too. They went to $22.75 as soon as I completed my order .... guess I got lucky with old stock? I'm happy, no clunk in the '95 now!

Only down side is mine did NOT have flats for a wrech nor did they have socket tip ball studs (maybe these are "pre-socket tip" versions?). The nuts provided were flanged steel self lock nuts and I could not get the nuts to tighten, so I slipped the original nuts that came off the car onto the new studs and the thread was perfect.

I tightened them good, and gave thought to maybe removing them and reinstalling the self locking nuts ..... but as tight as they were though what a chore they be to remove maybe later if need be ..... so I just left the original nuts in place.

Did remove a bolt and swing the brake caliper up when inserting the upper stud too. Just lightly compress pads, swing up, drop old out and slip new in.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 06-10-2011 at 01:52 AM.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:

Comparison pic:

Same design as the duralast ones I got from Autozone last month, except that the Duralast have grease fittings. Lifetime warranty on them. Just got 2 for the rear with lifetime warranties too. I love the fact that you can grease these too!
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 PM
PostWhore

I got Raybestos ones that look like the stock (bent) ones. I had the straight ones and they started ratteling after 3 months....... the raybestos ones have been in a little over a year adn all is well still.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Oh snap I am doing these too. The 96 needs a new set!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
I got Raybestos ones that look like the stock (bent) ones. I had the straight ones and they started ratteling after 3 months....... the raybestos ones have been in a little over a year adn all is well still.
So, the factory/stock ends were "bent"? The links I took off my car I presumed were factory (straight links). I thought when I looked on Rockauto all the endlinks pictured were straight...guess I thought wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
Same design as the duralast ones I got from Autozone last month, except that the Duralast have grease fittings. Lifetime warranty on them. Just got 2 for the rear with lifetime warranties too. I love the fact that you can grease these too!
I do like the idea of grease fittings. I'll just hope the Deeza boots hold up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
Edit 06-10-11

The two Deeza # FO-L643 links I ordered from Amazon came yesterday finally and I installed them tonigt after it cooled off.

Only down side is mine did NOT have flats for a wrech nor did they have socket tip ball studs (maybe these are "pre-socket tip" versions?). The nuts provided were flanged steel self lock nuts and I could not get the nuts to tighten, so I slipped the original nuts that came off the car onto the new studs and the thread was perfect.

I tightened them good, and gave thought to maybe removing them and reinstalling the self locking nuts ..... but as tight as they were though what a chore they be to remove maybe later if need be ..... so I just left the original nuts in place.
I had the same issue. I do prefer to use the new hardware so what I did was use the old nut to initially tighten the endlink and "seat" the stud into the spindle/swaybar. Once "seated" I remove the old nut and replace with the new self lock one.

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:06 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
So, the factory/stock ends were "bent"? The links I took off my car I presumed were factory (straight links).
Factory links were the straight ones.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Factory links were the straight ones.

Joe
Interesting..... my 96 was factory bent ones. Car's been in my family since day 1 and I was the only one other than the dealership to work on that car and they were never replaced till I did them at ~ 150K.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
Interesting..... my 96 was factory bent ones. Car's been in my family since day 1 and I was the only one other than the dealership to work on that car and they were never replaced till I did them at ~ 150K.
Mine were the straight ones, and I know they were the originals!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in