rear control arm - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NeedAbirdinVA
rear control arm

So I have replaced everything on my front suspension.....I'm now looking at replacing everything in the rear but I can't find rear upper/lower control arms. I've looked at a few places...no luck. I know I can get away with just bushings in the rear but I'm trying to rebuild my '91 bird.(I'm going to do the same for my '89 SC) So where can I buy rear control arms? I plan on using rubber bushings and not the poly bushings from SC performance. Help? lol
Chris

'89 SC 5-speed SCP down tubes,muffler delete [email protected](sold) '94 Rose Mist Lincoln Mark VIII..Custom downtubes,muffler delete,gloss black cougar rims.(Now lives in my '91) '91 Thunderbird
V6 AKA The UnderBird.... cone filter, Custom down tubes to highflow cats,magnaflow muffler to turndowns in the middle of the car(LOUD), Vogtland 1.6 springs, poly bushings, '89 SC seats, '95 bird Sun visors, '95 bird radio, Chrome '97 sport rims with 255/55/16's... [email protected](mid 14's now)(skinnys,removed pass. seat,door panels and center console and advanced timing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr

This should get you started. Just scroll down. These parts can get pricey quick. Good luck!

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignofTheCat94 View Post
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr

This should get you started. Just scroll down. These parts can get pricey quick. Good luck!
Yep. when he sees what they cost he'll be keeping his old ones. $400 a piece for the lowers and $290 a piece for the uppers. Hell you can buy a whole MN12 for just what the control arms cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Just saw the prices.... eh, gotta do what ya gotta do to have a nice running mn12 =) I'm replacing the rear along with an 8.8 with 3:73 gears. It's going to hurt the wallet and piss off the g/f but...well, eh. lol Thanks for the quick response guys..I'll be seeing some of you guys at Carlisle,PA !

'89 SC 5-speed SCP down tubes,muffler delete [email protected](sold) '94 Rose Mist Lincoln Mark VIII..Custom downtubes,muffler delete,gloss black cougar rims.(Now lives in my '91) '91 Thunderbird
V6 AKA The UnderBird.... cone filter, Custom down tubes to highflow cats,magnaflow muffler to turndowns in the middle of the car(LOUD), Vogtland 1.6 springs, poly bushings, '89 SC seats, '95 bird Sun visors, '95 bird radio, Chrome '97 sport rims with 255/55/16's... [email protected](mid 14's now)(skinnys,removed pass. seat,door panels and center console and advanced timing)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

My suggestion, if you're paying that much?

Get the lower spring seats from DLF to fit your springs in a Mark VIII set of LCAs, pull the control arms from a Mark VIII in the wrecking yard, and rebush them.

Or get a set of TBird/Cougar control arms (hey, they're $12.50 each at the local pick/n/pull!) and rebuild those.

Grab the rear knuckles for disk brakes while you're at it, with the hubs, and redo the bearings. While you've got it apart.

That way, you can redo the bushings one a weekend or so, get everything ready, and swap it en masse.

RwP
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I can't see why you would need new control arms for the rear unless they're rusted beyond belief, bent or otherwise damaged in some way.

I'd just pull them off, give them a good cleaning and fresh paint, put in new bushings and call it a day.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 AM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
My suggestion, if you're paying that much?

Get the lower spring seats from DLF to fit your springs in a Mark VIII set of LCAs, pull the control arms from a Mark VIII in the wrecking yard, and rebush them.

Or get a set of TBird/Cougar control arms (hey, they're $12.50 each at the local pick/n/pull!) and rebuild those.

Grab the rear knuckles for disk brakes while you're at it, with the hubs, and redo the bearings. While you've got it apart.

That way, you can redo the bushings one a weekend or so, get everything ready, and swap it en masse.

RwP
Well, no one but me makes bushings for the Mark VIII LCA's.

OP, There's no reason to change out the LCA's and UCA's, just change the bushings.

All you're doing is wasting money.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm just going to get the bushings then.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
Well, no one but me makes bushings for the Mark VIII LCA's.

OP, There's no reason to change out the LCA's and UCA's, just change the bushings.

All you're doing is wasting money.
You can get poly Cobra RLCA bushings to work in the Mark VIII LCA's

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in