Monroe Quick-Struts - Reviews? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Monroe Quick-Struts - Reviews?

Anyone replaced their stock sport springs/shocks with the Quick-Strut? How much does it sacrifice the OE ride quality and handling? I have a 96 Sport and my mechanic is leery about leaving the OE springs on due to the severe corrosion of the strut assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I have quick "struts" on the front of the T-bird and on a friend's car. I like the ride and handling, although I don't know how they compare to other shock and spring combinations out there.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
They're softer than sport shocks

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I have them and they are soft not much harsher than stock. Thye bolt right in. I kinda wish I went with something stiffer but then again I installed them myself and didn't want to have shop charge me to put my old springs back together with a new shock. If I had to do it again it would be tokico blues with cut sport springs.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Don't get rid of the stock sport springs unless they are broken. On a daily driver, I would reccomend the tokicko blues. I have them on my MarkVIII, and it helped with the handling but they are not harsh. Before that I had the 03 Cobra Bilsteins in the back, and they were entirely too stiff for a daily driver. If your mechanic doesn't want to re-use the stock springs, send me a PM and I can swap them out for you.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
I have KYB shocks front & rear on my '97 T-Bird, and I'm not real crazy about them. I believe they're too soft in rebound damping, at least with the front ones. I had my front sport springs replaced in April, 2009 (right after I bought the car) because they were broken. They were replaced with Moog coil springs. The KYB shocks were installed at the same time. I was immediately unhappy with the way the front-end "floated" up and down when passing over dips in the pavement at highway speeds. A short time later, I bought Vogtland 1" drop coil springs and installed them front & rear. Now, while the front-end "float" problem is MUCH improved, it is still there slightly, and I've come to the conclusion it must be the shocks. I don't think I would've had this problem with the O.E. sport shocks and, if my car was in better shape and worth the money, I'd invest in some better shocks. But, the problem isn't bad enough to really need to do something about, right now. Besides, I have some other major issues on the car to fix (power steering rack & hoses leaking, oil filter adapter gasket leaking, I'm getting REAL tired of having to put my passenger-side window down so I can lift the door up to close it because my lower hinge is shot, etc)!!!

I've often wondered how I'd like those Monroe Quick-Struts!

Dennis
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I'll add this much about them. The shocks are their Sensa-Trac variety, and when I did the work on the car I replaced both front shocks/springs (springs broken) and both rear shocks. I can say the difference in handling between the original, worn out shocks and the new Sensa-Tracs was quite astonishing. It was much firmer and stable, especially in corners and over dips in the road.

That said, the car feels about the same (in my opinion) as my fiancee's dad's 97 Sport which has the original shocks and springs.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 AM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
I installed a set of these for a customer a year ago. They are a nice product and they work nicely and ride comfortably. I don't know how they would compare to the sport springs. But if it's a daily driver they work great.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:41 AM
PostWhore

I put on Monroe Quick-Struts on front and Monroe shocks on the back when both my front springs rusted and broke (don't fool yourself, it will happen so plan for it).

The car definitely rides better than before, but that's not saying much. I'm pretty happy with them, the ride is OK.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM
4th Gear Poster

I have 'em. For the stock car they are great IMO. I think something else for performace/lower look would be better. I don't ever remember having the car over 90mph or making noise with the tires in the corners.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies. To be more specific, my mechanic is cautious about separating the springs because of the deteriorated strut assembly. The spring is bowing out because the seat is rusted and practically gone. The car is going up on a lift Tuesday for a thorough inspection so I'll know better if the springs can be safely salvaged.

In the event that the sport springs can be salvaged, I'm also looking at the Tokico replacement shocks. They frequently refer to a 1.25" drop. Is that mandatory or can they be used with the stock spring height?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
They can be used with the stock height as well.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Get the Tokico spring/strut/shock set up. I installed these in my son's 96 Cat last fall, (replaced a Sport set up) and they are a huge improvement over 15yr old stock. Also, gave the car about a 1.5in drop, greatly improving the the overall look with 18inch wheels.

If I remember correctly, got the kit for about 385.00 shipped.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 AM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragger View Post
Thanks all for the replies. To be more specific, my mechanic is cautious about separating the springs because of the deteriorated strut assembly. The spring is bowing out because the seat is rusted and practically gone.
If the shock seat is bowing, taking the spring off still seems possible to me. Soon as you compress the spring you take the pressure off the seat. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. However if the shock is that rusted then you likely have rusty springs too. I know spring breakage is an issue for the east coast guys.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in