In search of SZ-5K90-B Bushings - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

In search of SZ-5K90-B Bushings

I'm in the process of doing the rear disc brake swapout on my 1993 cat.

I figured while the brakes were in a mess, might as well get the bushings done. I thought I used to see them on RockAuto as Ford Parts Giant definitely does not have them.

Believe it or not, I got the top bushings, but the order at RockAuto appeared to be the lowers, but they confirmed they are out and sent me the rear frame (A) units they had by mistake. No worries as I'll use them when I do the shock and spring upgrade later on.

This is the rearward bushing pair on the lower knuckle. I'm reticent to re-use the old ones after 100k+ mileage and the junkyard ones also look scary.

Any thoughts for sourcing other than dealership New Old Stock (NOS)?

Below is the picture, apologies for the low bandwidth people and the large image.

5K790 (SZ-5K790-B) Rearward Bushing, "B" in the illustration, 1990/ 1997
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
This is what I used last time;

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=203570

Moog is better than rattling.

DLF has made delrin parts in the past; I hope he decides to make more.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I have a whole set of rear lower arm to frame bushings in urethane. I think they also fit cobras with IRS I think the part number for them was 611BL. It was only like $60 or so to do all 4 lower to-frame bushings. I have had these for years without installing them, so I cant comment on how well they work.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
This is what I used last time;

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=203570

Moog is better than rattling.

DLF has made delrin parts in the past; I hope he decides to make more.
Thanks, I ordered those too but they are for the control arm at the IRS side (A part number suffix). Am looking for the knuckle lower to control arm.

No debate on the Moog, just not finding the part number anymore from Moog or in leftover stock.

I hope DLF makes Delrin bushings for these knuckles and the IRS to subframe insulators again. I would get a set of both too
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I have a whole set of rear lower arm to frame bushings in urethane. I think they also fit cobras with IRS I think the part number for them was 611BL. It was only like $60 or so to do all 4 lower to-frame bushings. I have had these for years without installing them, so I cant comment on how well they work.
Thanks, will look into that and see how they do.

By any chance, do you know which year and Mustang Cobra they were for?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGreenCat View Post
Thanks, I ordered those too but they are for the control arm at the IRS side (A part number suffix). Am looking for the knuckle lower to control arm.
The B part is the rear-most inner control arm to frame bushing.

The bushings in the control arm are only serviced as the whole knuckle now from what I can tell:

5A968 **SZ-5A968-B Knuckle And Hub Assy R.H., w/rear disc brakes, 1990/ 1997 1 $320.04

5A968 **SZ-5A969-B Knuckle And Hub Assy L.H., w/rear disc brakes, 1990/ 1997 1 $392.03

I put in a set of moog bushings there not too long ago; I'm not sure why they're not available now.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

If you can't find the rubber ones, you can always use

https://factoryfiveparts.com/product...9&cat=0&page=1

RwP
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
I hope DLF makes Delrin bushings for these knuckles and the IRS to subframe insulators again. I would get a set of both too
I stock the Delrin Bushing Kits for the Knuckles......

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
And I see after awhile of searching, you're the guy for orings for my crossover on my dohc engine, lol.

I need to search thru your website more carefully.

Are you still doing the steering u-joint?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
And I see after awhile of searching, you're the guy for orings for my crossover on my dohc engine, lol.

I need to search thru your website more carefully.

Are you still doing the steering u-joint?
Yes, I have a steering joint in stock. Buy one and I'll throw some o-rings in the box.

My Web Site
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
The B part is the rear-most inner control arm to frame bushing.

The bushings in the control arm are only serviced as the whole knuckle now from what I can tell:

5A968 **SZ-5A968-B Knuckle And Hub Assy R.H., w/rear disc brakes, 1990/ 1997 1 $320.04

5A968 **SZ-5A969-B Knuckle And Hub Assy L.H., w/rear disc brakes, 1990/ 1997 1 $392.03

I put in a set of moog bushings there not too long ago; I'm not sure why they're not available now.
Thanks for the clarifier, it wasn't the easiest to see in the diagram. You don't have the MOOG part numbers do you for the lower ones?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:

Thanks, I have half the bushings already. If I can't find the units, I'll do the refund and put in for a set. Though it will be for a daily driver.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
If you can't find the rubber ones, you can always use

https://factoryfiveparts.com/product...9&cat=0&page=1

RwP
Thanks for the suggestion. I've not heard good things about the longevity and durability of urethane vs moog, motorcraft rubber, or delrin units but good to know the option is there.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Thanks for the clarifier, it wasn't the easiest to see in the diagram. You don't have the MOOG part numbers do you for the lower ones?
I don't believe that aftermarket stock style replacements are available for the lower two knuckle bushings.

Quote:
Thanks, I have half the bushings already. If I can't find the units, I'll do the refund and put in for a set. Though it will be for a daily driver.
I have my Delrin Bushing Kits in all three of my cars.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've not heard good things about the longevity and durability of urethane vs moog, motorcraft rubber, or delrin units but good to know the option is there.
Poly will soon compress and allow the knuckles to move fore and aft on the lower bolts.

My Web Site
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Yes, I have a steering joint in stock. Buy one and I'll throw some o-rings in the box.
I will do that; but it will be a few weeks. I'm having a hood shipped...

With the konis, new hardware everywhere, firm tires, bracing everywhere; I can feel every bit of play in the whole car.

There's a bit of play in the lower ragjoint, and the left inner tie rod has a hair of play; The rack has 200k on it, and will get replaced whole, lol.

I'll pm you in about two weeks for the parts.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
I don't believe that aftermarket stock style replacements are available for the lower two knuckle bushings.

I have my Delrin Bushing Kits in all three of my cars.

Poly will soon compress and allow the knuckles to move fore and aft on the lower bolts.

I was able to find new old stock (NOS) of the rubber pieces to get by, so tactically I'm good. I will be doing the full IRS cleanup when I get to the suspension which needs updating. I think that will be the time for Delrin, but for now will hang here with the rubber pieces.

I agree poly is going to be challenged in these heavy cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in