Rear suspension questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Rear suspension questions

My rear suspension looks a little worse than the front. it doesn't look bad but I want to replace it sooner than later. I am referring to bushings. I did a search first and am now more confused than I was before I knew anything. What I am trying to figure out where I can find bushings for my car and also what works if a stock replacement isn;t available. I am not looking for delrin or aluminum and really don;t want poly if I don;t have too. As most of you know from another post of mine I have access to a wrecked 04 cobra that i am getting the brakes and hubs off of. I will probably grab the rear shocks as well. If there are any bushings I can use off this car to go into my 1994 cougar XR7 then that would be great. What can i use from the 04 cobra as far as bushings or any other suspension upgrade and where can I get any thing else at? I am new to IRS and I am very confused on where to get what and what swaps over from a cobra or mark 8. My car is a daily driver that i would liek to handle a little better but not go up a ton in NVH. As always thank you everyone for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Resident drifter

Hi. You are extremely fortunate to have access to an 04 cobra. As you have said, you can use the brakes and hubs. I believe the differential housing is the same except it is aluminum, therefore better. That being said, I believe although I may be wrong, that the cobra diff is a 32 spline and the thunderbird is a 28 spline. However, If you are really clever you can use the cobra rear axles but I do believe they need to be shortened. To be honest I haven't really looked into this option too much. There are no stock replacement differential carrier bushings, so you are stuck with urethane which is not that much stiffer than rubber. I actually had one of those fail at a race and decided to make delrin ones, although I may be pushing the limits of those a bit. the upper control arm bushings are available as well as the lower control arm bushings in a stock style. I can't seem to find the spindle bushings, but as I have said, it isn't going to hurt you too much to go with a urethane bushing as it has almost as much give as rubber in my opinion. you can always check your local autozone and see what they can come up with. I hope this is some help.

-steve
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Yes it does help some. I will not swapping the carrier out of the cobra or going with cobra axles. That is just too much work for my daily driver. The car is never going to be raced, just driven to and from work as well as any errands I run. I am just looking at replacing what I can. The cobra is extremely low miles and would be a good donor for any bushings that will cross over if any do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

None of the bushings, except the forward differential carrier bushings, will swap.

'03/'04 Cobra axles (31 spline inner) are shorter than the Thunderbird axles (28 spline inner).

The rear calipers are different and will not work, the offset is different and the parking brake cable attaches differently and from the other side.

IF you are planning a rear brake upgrade (with a relocation bracket for the stock rear calipers) and/or a bolt circle change , then the rear hubs and rotors would be useful.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The calipers are a bolt on with the rotors, the parking brake cables are the only thing that prevent them from working directly.

-Matt
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thank you for the info guys. I am really falling in love with this car and am looking forward to getting busy with upgrades that make my daily driving more fun and also more safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in