IRS Forward to Frame Bracket, sources? Sugestions on yard removal? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

IRS Forward to Frame Bracket, sources? Sugestions on yard removal?

So after getting the '93 stabilized for engine, steering, cooling, and finally brakes, I noticed my forward IRS to frame brackets were extremely rusted, but then I put my finger through one of them.

It looks to be the 5D022 in the bottom left hand of the diagram below. I can get the tools, but read somewhere that during assembly, they coated the bolts in something that makes then pretty tough to remove.

Suggestions? Thoughts? By the way, no luck at the dealership or Ford Parts Giant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Splattered's been selling good clean ones off of boneyard picks he's done.

Check the "For Sale" forum.

As to getting the bolt out - lots of PB Blaster and a good impact wrench. And if it's a northern rustbucket, may need to drill out above and remove the nut plate from there after twisting off the bolt.

RwP
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Splattared has been pulling them regularly off rust free AZ cars. Though last I checked there were still a few left new

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The problem with removing the bolts is sometimes when removing the bolt, you can break the welds that hold the captive nut that is hidden inside the frame rail. If that happens, the nut will just spin and the bolt will neither tighten nor loosen. There is no access hold to get a wrench on it, so if it happens you need to break out a cut-off wheel and cut an access hole so you can hold it from spinning. Like Ralph said, PB blaster and an impact will definitely help the situation, but sometimes, especially on cars that have spent their whole life in this area, it is unavoidable.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I like to use a hole saw then buy a plug to put back in the hole.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 07:09 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

The reason they rust through is people jack them up from that bolt point scrape off the coating and it rusts from then on. So people have been ruining them for years. Even here the coating will begin to peel sometimes at the edges, of course its not going to rust here but you get the idea in a northern car how easy it will rust there.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
There's definitely truth to that but it is a factory specified jack point.

-Matt
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:28 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
There's definitely truth to that but it is a factory specified jack point.
And one of the few points that doesn't bend when you use it to jack with, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks for the replies. Will definitely take the time and do the necessary.

Will follow up on the leads. I've had good luck separating with the Kroil oil even though it is a northeast car. Just takes a bit of sitting time unfortunately.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

I'll add that drilling a hole over the nutplate and soaking THAT in Kroil (so you can plug it later) might not be a bad idea.

(Drill the hole to match a plug, I mean ... )

RwP
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 PM
PostWhore

Use a couple towels between the car and the jack and you wont scrape the finish off. I heard 50% trans fluid with 50% acetone is the best and breaking bolts free as stated by someone here.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

The sub-frame brackets (E9SZ-5D022-A, E9SZ-5D022-B) are still available from Ford for ~$25 each.

Unfortunately, the bolts are discontinued.

Also, I prefer to use a large breaker bar (instead of an impact gun) to remove the bolts. You can feel what is happening and it's not as stressful on the bolts and nuts.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Use a couple towels between the car and the jack and you wont scrape the finish off. I heard 50% trans fluid with 50% acetone is the best and breaking bolts free as stated by someone here.
I have the most trouble with the stands, all mine distribute the load to the very edges and dent the crap out of them. I jack the car from the pumpkin mount.

-Matt
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
The sub-frame brackets (E9SZ-5D022-A, E9SZ-5D022-B) are still available from Ford for ~$25 each.

Unfortunately, the bolts are discontinued.

Also, I prefer to use a large breaker bar (instead of an impact gun) to remove the bolts. You can feel what is happening and it's not as stressful on the bolts and nuts.
When they are rust freeish a 2ft bar gets them loose with a little effort. I do it sitting down in the dirt without even all my weight on it. I have broke 2 autozone 15mil 6pt sockets with 1/2 dr. while doingthis. No need some high quality stuff, I have been using a socket made by benchmaster hasnt broke yet.

To the OP I can get you the bolts if thats all you want and want to buy new brackets from ford. Personally Id bedliner them top to bottom anyway. The cups in the rear rust from the inside out as well. Judging from the response I got selling the whole set Id say these are a real sore spot for most cars in the rust belt.

The real sad part is the metal sleeve in the bushing is what gets fused to the bolt. Its a big job and not everyone has the ability to service this area hence they just let it go to hell.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I have the most trouble with the stands, all mine distribute the load to the very edges and dent the crap out of them. I jack the car from the pumpkin mount.
I try to land the car where the to outer peaks of the stands land in the middle of bracket near the big bolt. Also card board is where that will come in handy to keep from ruining the finish. Use a couple layers. I also prefer to use the diff mount as a jacking point. I have pretty good condition one on the car that are original even with the mistreatment by bad mechanics from the original owner.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:44 PM
6th Gear Poster

So after buying three sets of brackets from you I couldn't get the first car I attacked to give up so much as one, count em 1 of those SOB bolts to let go.

I drilled a 1/2 inch hole over the bolt and squirted a bunch of kroil, WD40, PBlaster . nuthin. I used a 3-4 foot cheater and 6 point HD socket, just twisted/rounded off the nut.

Then I figured I'd cut of the head of the bolt, remove the bushing and put a big pipe wrench on it... but I'm going nowhere.

I think I might be better off welding it up? Has anybody tried this? with what result?

Platoribs House of SHO
95 SHO MTX 73K grn/tan
93 SHO MTX 175K blu/blk
92 SC M5R2 98K Red/Grey tweed ->Blk Cloth SC
89 SC M5R2 112K Blu/Blk Shiny Cobra's! *coming out party, May 20th 2012* Now with moar suspension, brakes and slave cylinder...
91 SC M5R2 100K blk/blk tweed building
86 Mercedes-Benz 300e
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platoribs View Post
So after buying three sets of brackets from you I couldn't get the first car I attacked to give up so much as one, count em 1 of those SOB bolts to let go.

I drilled a 1/2 inch hole over the bolt and squirted a bunch of kroil, WD40, PBlaster . nuthin. I used a 3-4 foot cheater and 6 point HD socket, just twisted/rounded off the nut.

Then I figured I'd cut of the head of the bolt, remove the bushing and put a big pipe wrench on it... but I'm going nowhere.

I think I might be better off welding it up? Has anybody tried this? with what result?
Please allow me to show you what I used to get my bolts off (the big one, not the little one which is a 1/2" drive impact):

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Here's a thread I posted on the subject on another board.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=77102

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in