bad rear toe links? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Question bad rear toe links?

So I took my 97 into the shop to have the alignment checked today. The back of the car has started to feel like it is steering on its own, especially at highway speeds. They told me the rear toe compensation links are shot. They want $250 to replace the pair. How hard are these to replace? I only find brief mention of them from searching on this site and can only find 2 places online that even sell them. Do you think that would cause the rear of my car to squirm and wobble on the freeway?

1997 LX Sport..Eibachs & KYBs...245/50s on Eagle Alloy 16x7s...SC rear sway bar...94 SC seats...Mark VIII ds...SCT tuned by Lasotta Racing ...Dirty Dog Marauder converter... Trans by Supergordo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Was one of the two places RockAuto? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7618

From there, about $85 to $90 delivered. Around here, a 4 wheel alignment is $70 to $100.

I'd say the $250 is a fair price to swap both of them and align the car.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

That was one of them. The other was supercoupe performance. That price didn't include the alingment, but i had one done less than 6 months ago so it was still under warranty. The problem is my steering rack is going out as well so they wont align it again until that is fixed. I have a little bit of play in the wheel but not super bad. They think my problem is caused by the rack, but to me it feels like its coming from the back. I could have sworn I had a low rear tire the other day the way it was pulling.

1997 LX Sport..Eibachs & KYBs...245/50s on Eagle Alloy 16x7s...SC rear sway bar...94 SC seats...Mark VIII ds...SCT tuned by Lasotta Racing ...Dirty Dog Marauder converter... Trans by Supergordo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Have you looked at the toe compensators?

Have you jacked the back of the car up and tried to wiggle the tire to see if anything is loose, and where that might be?

You know, the toe compensators and rack & pinion are the only suspension components on my car that haven't been replaced. Rob told me he's never replaced the toe compensators on his car either. I can't imagine that in Vegas you'd need to replcace the Toe Comps on account of weather unless they've just dry rotted ... ??

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks for the info TM.

I haven't checked them out yet but I'll have time to take a look later this week. The symptoms I have sound like it could be a rear toe issue, but who knows.. I used to have a 69 Nova when i was in high school, and I broke a spring pin off one time from excess wheel hop. The axle would slide front and back so bad the tire would rub on the quarter panel. Got to love the old mono leaf cars lol! Thankfully my bird is not that messed up, but I got a similar feeling on the highway. Its enough to make me obey the speed limit for now anyway....

I know the rack is on its way out. I've been limping it along with lucas rack fix for the last year. The steering wheel has almost a inch of play in it sometimes, and the rack leaks too. Its one of those things that I just don't want to work on in the 110s if I can at all avoid it.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 PM
PostWhore

I changed myn back in 2009, wasn't hart at all.

-Maic

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAIC View Post
I changed myn back in 2009, wasn't hart at all.

-Maic
Did you have to take the control ARM off or remove the springs? Might be a stupid question but I can't find a picture of where the part attaches and haven't had time to look under the car yet.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

bushings

Hello

Sorry to say if the toe comp's are bad, Chances your lower control arm bushings are also.

I run DLF's bushings, No longer use the toe comps.
As I am from western NY, they aren't in the best of shape.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
It this point, if you have never replaced the bushings, you should replace them all.

The inner and outer bushings on the control arms were worn out on my cars by ~150k miles.

Replacing those, and the compensators made it feel new; and pointed up how bad the front was, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:12 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
Did you have to take the control ARM off or remove the springs? Might be a stupid question but I can't find a picture of where the part attaches and haven't had time to look under the car yet.
No, just have a jack under it for safety. Thats the only pic I have of the compensator link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
It this point, if you have never replaced the bushings, you should replace them all.

The inner and outer bushings on the control arms were worn out on my cars by ~150k miles.

Replacing those, and the compensators made it feel new; and pointed up how bad the front was, lol.

-Maic

Maic.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:17 AM
PostWhore

and if the rear toe compensators are shot your rear alignment won't be accurate.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks everyone for all your help. I will check out the links before I order anything new to replace them. Of course I just ordered new front calipers and pads for the car, before I found out about this latest issue..... So it looks like I'll be making due for a few weeks.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 PM
PostWhore

The compensators aren't a critical item but getting a 4 wheel alignment with them shot is kind of useless.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
You don't have to drop the control arm to replace those; put a jack under the arm at that corner, and take the bolt out, replace toe corrector, and replace bolt.

But, as I said above, the bushings probably need to be replaced too; which means you need to drop the control arm.

Don't forget about the upper inner rear control arm bushing, mine were gone when I checked them.

If you put your foot against the top of the rear wheel, and rock the car sideways, that bushing will clunk if it's bad; when you check it, you'll find there's ~1/2" of play.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:08 PM
4th Gear Poster

My bushings for the compensators are completely shot. I will use the foot on top of the tire method to make sure the frame side control arm bushing is ok. The rest of the bushings look to be in relatively new shape. The sway bar end link bushings are bad also. i will replace those as well. I may end up doing all of them just to have them all done.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak300 View Post
My bushings for the compensators are completely shot. I will use the foot on top of the tire method to make sure the frame side control arm bushing is ok. The rest of the bushings look to be in relatively new shape. The sway bar end link bushings are bad also. i will replace those as well. I may end up doing all of them just to have them all done.

-Maic

Maic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in