Best Reman. Rack & Pinion - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Best Reman. Rack & Pinion

About to dive into the dreaded rack and pinion replacement and been doing some research on the best reman rack and pinion to use. From what I found the auto zone r&ps are junk and tend to leak, also the same for the A-1 Cardone brand. I checked rockauto but couldnt find a motorcraft r&p. So my question is, what other brand have people had good experiences with or where can I find a motorcraft r&p.

'97 Lincoln Mark Viii LSC - Stock
'93 Ford Thunderbird - Splitport & M5r2
'64 Chevrolet Impala SS - Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 PM
6th Gear Poster

I'd go with NAPA.
They offer only one choice, they sell to pro shops, and the warranty is LT. Others I could find is 36 mos. it's hard to find NEW
Plus they are really specific about what is done in the rebuild

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
I'd go with NAPA.
They offer only one choice, they sell to pro shops, and the warranty is LT. Others I could find is 36 mos. it's hard to find NEW
Plus they are really specific about what is done in the rebuild
Napa uses A1 Cardone. From the research Ive done just by searching on here and sccoa, those tend to leak.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:54 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay_Bird93 View Post
Napa uses A1 Cardone. From the research Ive done just by searching on here and sccoa, those tend to leak.
You know it's always kind of funny when it's easy to find reviews of the bad suppliers but really tough to find recommendations for good ones. I did a search under a couple different phrases...
And I find it really hard to believe NAPA is selling crap with a LT warr. Like I said, that's where shops get theirs.. right?
So you tell me when a shop has to eat the labor on a warranty, then where are they GETTING their product.. hmmmmm? Since they really dont have time to wait for shipping.
.. but whatever...
Try these guys, then:
http://shop.rackdoctor.net/THUNDERBIRD_c160.htm

They say all the right things
http://shop.rackdoctor.net/aboutus.sc

and the price is certainly right.

Look, if you want, I can find out where the best shop in my area gets theirs.

I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.

Last edited by pettyfog; 07-20-2011 at 06:37 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Ive installed quite a few racks .. from Pep boys, Kragens, AUtozone, Supercoupe performance, etc ... dont remember who made what. Didnt seem to have any issues with either of them .. the one that started leaking had physical damage from the tie rods being bent too far. They were all re-manufactured with the original Ford rack, ford F0 or E9 part number on them ..

The last one I did was an autozone one, I thought it was a Cardone also. Before that I had a couple from SCP - they were drop shipped from Prior re-manufacturing in Texas. Theirs was packaged better than the Autozone one but other than that I cant tell what seals they put inside .. Again, installed them about a year ago and no leaks from the rack. I also highly recommend having the cars aligned immediately after installation.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
You know it's always kind of funny when it's easy to find reviews of the bad suppliers but really tough to find recommendations for good ones. I did a search under a couple different phrases...
And I find it really hard to believe NAPA is selling crap with a LT warr. Like I said, that's where shops get theirs.. right?
So you tell me when a shop has to eat the labor on a warranty, then where are they GETTING their product.. hmmmmm? Since they really dont have time to wait for shipping.
.. but whatever...
Try these guys, then:
http://shop.rackdoctor.net/THUNDERBIRD_c160.htm

They say all the right things
http://shop.rackdoctor.net/aboutus.sc

and the price is certainly right.

Look, if you want, I can find out where the best shop in my area gets theirs.
Im not saying Napa sells crap because thats where I used to go before I found about rockauto (same product, cheaper price). I just want to get a high quality rack so I dont have to reinstall it if its defective, and not be compensated the labor.

I was a service writer at a shop so I know where the best parts are coming from. In my specific situation (every shop is different)...

High Quality-
Dealer, Worldpac

Mid Quality-
Fast Undercar, Napa

Lower Quality-
Autozone, CSK

Shops have the ability to file labor claims if the part is defective, that way they get a replacement part and compensated the labor for installing the new part. We used to file a bunch of these with AZ.

And your right, it is hard to find good recommendations for parts and thats the purpose of this thread.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Ive installed quite a few racks .. from Pep boys, Kragens, AUtozone, Supercoupe performance, etc ... dont remember who made what. Didnt seem to have any issues with either of them .. the one that started leaking had physical damage from the tie rods being bent too far. They were all re-manufactured with the original Ford rack, ford F0 or E9 part number on them ..

The last one I did was an autozone one, I thought it was a Cardone also. Before that I had a couple from SCP - they were drop shipped from Prior re-manufacturing in Texas. Theirs was packaged better than the Autozone one but other than that I cant tell what seals they put inside .. Again, installed them about a year ago and no leaks from the rack. I also highly recommend having the cars aligned immediately after installation.
From what I found, AZ used to use ATSCO but Im not sure anymore. If it is A-1 cardone then AZ has the best deal. Im going to see if I can track down which manufacturer AZ uses now.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I've used two "remaned" autozone units, they were both ATSCO the first one leaked from the internal rack seals into the boots/bellows upon initial start up. The second lasted 4 months or so, approx 2500 miles. I gave up and eventually I replaced it with a ford unit from a junkyard, which lasted 2 years before I scrapped the car due to motor, trans, and body issues. To be honest your betters off buying a low mileage non-leaking ford rack from a junkyard and painting it black with spray paint. It would look the same as the ATSCO unit and probably last the same amount of time or longer and cost a third of the price. I know it's expensive, but if you can find one and afford it buy a motorcraft unit.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
I've used two "remaned" autozone units, they were both ATSCO the first one leaked from the internal rack seals into the boots/bellows upon initial start up. The second lasted 4 months or so, approx 2500 miles. I gave up and eventually I replaced it with a ford unit from a junkyard, which lasted 2 years before I scrapped the car due to motor, trans, and body issues. To be honest your betters off buying a low mileage non-leaking ford rack from a junkyard and painting it black with spray paint. It would look the same as the ATSCO unit and probably last the same amount of time or longer and cost a third of the price. I know it's expensive, but if you can find one and afford it buy a motorcraft unit.
Which is pretty much what 99.999% of all parts store reman junk I've ever seen is, only with key parts replaced with elcheapo junk.

-Matt
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:31 PM
5th Gear Poster

autozone sells a duralast rack and pinion. Are they any good. They offer a lifetime warranty.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Autozone's duralast rack and pinion has the same part number as the ATSCO brand on rockauto, so Im assuming their still the same. I cant find a reman. Motorcraft one anywhere, Roackauto does have a acdelco one, which I might consider.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 03:47 PM
PostWhore

Apparently Motorcraft doesn't make them anymore I searched for one awhile back and can only find parts. Maybe if you can get the part number of the assembly and search by that you may find one someone still has on the shelf somewhere. Other than that it's all reman.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
My last one on the orange 94 was a Motorcraft. I have installed many acdelco, A1, and motorcraft racks through the years. I have had one of the autozone ones (I think it was cardone) that my friend wanted to use on his Lexus. It would make knocking sounds entering parking lots. Man that was hard to chase down, but it did all start after the rack install. We got a replacement and it was all good.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

I ended up going with the ACDelco unit. We'll see how it goes.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
My last one on the orange 94 was a Motorcraft. I have installed many acdelco, A1, and motorcraft racks through the years. I have had one of the autozone ones (I think it was cardone) that my friend wanted to use on his Lexus. It would make knocking sounds entering parking lots. Man that was hard to chase down, but it did all start after the rack install. We got a replacement and it was all good.

My buddy needs the Rack replaced in his Lexus .... The Autozone / Cardone one still costs about $460+tax ... for that much $$ it better not leak, make noises, and come with a lifetime warranty.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:58 PM
6th Gear Poster

i need to replace mine, so please post how the acdelco unit is.

You can go as fast as your money will let you
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:55 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
The last time I was going to replace a rack, I had someone replace the inner tie rod ends, and it feels perfect now. I had already replaced the outers.

Dude said I was a perfectionist; there was only 0.100"play in it...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoc2000 View Post
i need to replace mine, so please post how the acdelco unit is.
Only had it in for a few days now but so far so good, still need to get an alignment.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The last time I was going to replace a rack, I had someone replace the inner tie rod ends, and it feels perfect now. I had already replaced the outers.

Unless the rack is physically damaged I'd always do the same. There isn't that much that can wear out on the rack that can't be replaced separately.

-Matt
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

how hard to replace unit? Ive never replaced rack and pinion before. Any pointers? what about any bushings ? Thanks for any advice.

You can go as fast as your money will let you
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Unless the rack is physically damaged I'd always do the same. There isn't that much that can wear out on the rack that can't be replaced separately.
Inners are easier than you might think.
MN12 Lx #1: I had no choice, guy ran into me and the inner bent, I knew the car would be totaled but had to get it driveable, so I didnt want to spend any money on it. At 180K there was no fluid in the boots.

Just be patient and follow directions. Any that arent clear to you can be explained on here, I'm sure.

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post

The only reason I replaced mine was because of the play. I actually replaced my inner and outer tie rods first, thinking that was the cause.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in