Which Springs? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Which Springs?

Hey i was wondering if i would have to do any other mods to do a sport spring swap into my 97 lx, i currently have some eibachs on my car that are about a year old but they are way to soft for me..there are alot of dips around here and i can feel my front end float when i hit them..i always tighten up expecting to bottom out lol,... even when i have 2 people in my back seat my bumper is only a few inches from the ground..its kinda scary, but back on point... i am looking for a stiffer spring and the sport springs look like the way to go.

Jeremy

---Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 12:04 PM
6th Gear Poster

How old are the KYB's?

-Joe-
1994 Ford Thunderbird SC 5-Speed
1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #1251
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis97xr7 View Post
How old are the KYB's?
The KYBs front and rear & springs are less then a year old.
If you look at one of my threads you can see a video on how soft my suspension is
Here is the thread: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136242

---Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
It is nice

If your suspension is really that soft going over bumps compared to when installed it's most likely the shock gone bad; even though it's fairly new. If you get the shock dissasembled from the spring you will be able to tell for sure. My bet is the shock is toast the ford sport shocks are good if you can find some they are very robust feeling.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Ima have to check that out dammit, ima argue with KYB lol...but with the sport springs are they really stiff?

---Jeremy
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM
It is nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tiveJuggalo17 View Post
Ima have to check that out dammit, ima argue with KYB lol...but with the sport springs are they really stiff?
Not sure there should be some info on them here. I had standard springs before the Vogtlands and Monroe shocks so I couldn't say; but the combo I have now is definately stiffer than before, and I thought the Eibachs would be the same...

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 AM
PostWhore

Sport springs are stiff when stock, and just slightly cutting 1 coil off front and 5/8 coil off rear stuiffened them up more while just dropping car about 1-1/2". It's my '92, stiff enough it needs no more sway bar than what's on it factory. I have another set for my '95.

Most 3.8 V-6 not SC
Front: 223-282 lb./in.
Rear: 361-501 lb./in.

Most LX V-8:
Front: 270-330 lb./in.

Sport and SC 3.8:
Front: 349-403 lb./in.
Rear: 509-637 lb./in

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
Sport springs are stiff when stock, and just slightly cutting 1 coil off front and 5/8 coil off rear stuiffened them up more while just dropping car about 1-1/2". It's my '92, stiff enough it needs no more sway bar than what's on it factory. I have another set for my '95.

Most 3.8 V-6 not SC
Front: 223-282 lb./in.

Most LX V-8:
Front: 270-330 lb./in.

Sport and SC 3.8:
Front: 349-403 lb./in.
Rear: 509-637 lb./in

So the higher the lb/in is means how stiff it is?

---Jeremy
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
So the higher the lb/in is means how stiff it is?
It pretty much means that it takes XXX pounds of force to compress the spring 1".

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
It pretty much means that it takes XXX pounds of force to compress the spring 1".
right on grog thanks, now are sc springs superior to eibachs or should i stay with my current set up...

---Jeremy
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I like my tokico's, I've had spring tech/suspension technique on my mark and while I loved the 2" drop it was completely impractical where I live. Which is why I chose the 1 1/4" drop tokico's I wanted it lower than factory but not impractical and I wanted linear rate springs instead of progressive rate springs. Just my preference.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
I like my tokico's, I've had spring tech/suspension technique on my mark and while I loved the 2" drop it was completely impractical where I live. Which is why I chose the 1 1/4" drop tokico's I wanted it lower than factory but not impractical and I wanted linear rate springs instead of progressive rate springs. Just my preference.
whats the difference between linear & progressive springs?

---Jeremy
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Linear - 500 pounds = 1 inch, 1000 pounds = 2 inch, 1500 pounds = 3 inch.

Progressive - 500 pounds = 1.5 inch, 1000 pounds = 2.5 inch, 1500 pounds = 3 inch.

That is, the more it's compressed the more it TAKES to compress it.

RwP
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

so linear springs are apparently stiffer huh, if i got ahold of sum sport springs, Would i have to do any other supporting mods? Ima ditch the eibach and go with either sport or vogtland.

---Jeremy
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Did you hear anything back about your shocks? Id replace the shocks also, there was alot of bounce in your suspension. Sport springs will be stock height unless you cut them. If you dont do something about those shocks I fear you still wont be happy

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more

Last edited by Roadrunnner; 08-03-2011 at 11:22 AM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

So you think thats why my suspension is so soft? becuz of my front shocks? What is a way i can test to see

---Jeremy
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you have excessive bounce in your suspension shocks are the first place to start. In other words yes I think your shocks are totaled. You couldve just got a bad couple shocks. I get no excessive movement out of my front or rear and mine are older than yours.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunnner View Post
If you have excessive bounce in your suspension shocks are the first place to start. In other words yes I think your shocks are totaled. You couldve just got a bad couple shocks. I get no excessive movement out of my front or rear and mine are older than yours.
Alright well i gotta take my ride to the shop on friday morning concerning my $500 AC job and the air still isnt cold lol, ill have them check it out.

---Jeremy
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
I like the feel of throwing a car with linear springs into a corner and carving canyons with it. However progressive springs are nice for in town and highway driving.

The reason is because linear springs compress at the same rate, where as progressive rate springs tend to have several "softer/lighter" coils to absorb imperfections in the road, to increase ride "quality" IMO ride quality is feeling the road beneath me. My car doesn't feel like a 2010 toyota corolla, it feels like it's ready be pushed in the corners and smile doing it, not overly firm or harsh, but it's no cloud. My first v6 had eibach's and koni adjustables set at full soft and it was a great cruiser. It's all about what YOU want to do with it and how you want it to feel and handle. Sometime light/soft is perfect, sometimes firm/stiff is perfect, it all depends on the application/need of the individual and car.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
I like the feel of throwing a car with linear springs into a corner and carving canyons with it. However progressive springs are nice for in town and highway driving.

The reason is because linear springs compress at the same rate, where as progressive rate springs tend to have several "softer/lighter" coils to absorb imperfections in the road, to increase ride "quality" IMO ride quality is feeling the road beneath me. My car doesn't feel like a 2010 toyota corolla, it feels like it's ready be pushed in the corners and smile doing it, not overly firm or harsh, but it's no cloud. My first v6 had eibach's and koni adjustables set at full soft and it was a great cruiser. It's all about what YOU want to do with it and how you want it to feel and handle. Sometime light/soft is perfect, sometimes firm/stiff is perfect, it all depends on the application/need of the individual and car.
I am going for firm/stiff on my car...i wanna feel the road through the steering wheel lol, but i dont like scraping everywhere either like i am with the eibachs... i really want to get some sport springs... do the sport springs drop the car in anyway? if you look at the numbers they are stiffer then eibachs correct?

---Jeremy
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
PostWhore

Here is the spring rate info, read down there is more info near the bottom of the thread and a lot of great info from Trunk Monkey.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133651

Not sure why you're scraping everywhere with the Eibachs, I have the 1.5" drop and never scrape my front bumper. The only thing I noticed is the concrete parking blocks in some lots are a bit high so you just have to be careful and don't pull in until you hit it.

With your car lowered you have to learn to drive differently. Slow down, take on dips, bumps, driveways at an angle instead of straight on.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Here is the spring rate info, read down there is more info near the bottom of the thread and a lot of great info from Trunk Monkey.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133651

Not sure why you're scraping everywhere with the Eibachs, I have the 1.5" drop and never scrape my front bumper. The only thing I noticed is the concrete parking blocks in some lots are a bit high so you just have to be careful and don't pull in until you hit it.

With your car lowered you have to learn to drive differently. Slow down, take on dips, bumps, driveways at an angle instead of straight on.

thanks but i caught onto that quick lol...problem is i live in pine ridge, south dakota lol,... roads here are crap... potholes everywhere on the roads we do have.. other then that its dirt & gravel roads....Gotta love the good ol reservation

---Jeremy
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM
PostWhore

I would try to get it to handle how you want it to first without any drop or minimal drop. Dropping your car makes it look sleek but with roads like that, its just not practical unless you want to trash your car. I have the Eibach pro kit with Tokico HP's in the front and Koni's on the back. With a RTLB and RSTB the back was really stiff but the front still had a small float at times. Not really bad but would bounce once on turns if there was a dip in the road. Not like some old cars I've owned where you get the bounce then have to slam on the brakes or the bounces just keep getting higher.

I had the JL LECB and FSSB put on with a FSTB and that eliminated the bounce completely. If I could do it over I think I would go with the bracing first before changing shocks and springs.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
I would try to get it to handle how you want it to first without any drop or minimal drop. Dropping your car makes it look sleek but with roads like that, its just not practical unless you want to trash your car. I have the Eibach pro kit with Tokico HP's in the front and Koni's on the back. With a RTLB and RSTB the back was really stiff but the front still had a small float at times. Not really bad but would bounce once on turns if there was a dip in the road. Not like some old cars I've owned where you get the bounce then have to slam on the brakes or the bounces just keep getting higher.

I had the JL LECB and FSSB put on with a FSTB and that eliminated the bounce completely. If I could do it over I think I would go with the bracing first before changing shocks and springs.
Yeah i just purchased sum "JJJJ" sport springs so ima swap those out and see how they feel, also im gonna purchase a torsion load brace & fstb from "91 bluecoupe" and waiting for mike to fix me up a rstb hopefully gonna be nice and stiff.

---Jeremy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in