Poly strut rod bushings? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Poly strut rod bushings?

I was on scp and as much as I dislike buying from Bill info like to browse the catalog for ideas and such. I was just curious if those poly strut rod bushings are actually worth a damn. I know that ford bushings are pretty nice but I'm wanting to firm up the front of the bird after my surgery and after my transmission gets finished.

I just wanted to hear some feed back from those of you who actually use them or have used them.

Thanks,
Chris

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I think the 95 might have them on it??? I can't remember if I ordered those or not.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Having never personally experienced them I can't say if they're worth anything in terms of performance... But I do know from past discussions that poly is not a good material to use when it has to move the way it does for the strut rods. Like the bad thermoplastic moogs they will very likely prematurely distort and crack.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:11 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Search for a thread about them; I remember someone who was using them for autocross worked one over the washer, iirc.

My recollection is that they don't stay put, and are too soft.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I just looked at the online order email from score and I did purchase a set of poly strut rod bushings for the 95, so, it should have them...maybe swap them to your 97

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Interesting.

227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I just dug up the e-mail, here is a list of what I ordered for the 95 a couple years ago, the poly strut rod bushings where definately used, because I remember some issue with washers that came with them not working and having to re-use a piece of metal off the OEM setup...The only parts ordered that I can specifically remember NOT using on the car where the poly outer tie rod boots, because, and this will sound stupid, and it is, when we had the car in the air, and everything torn apart, those where the only pieces that where not obvious as to what they where and where they went, and on top of that, we where kind of being rushed by the owner of the shop, since he was doing us a favor and allowing us to use his stuff for free. So the 95 should have what you are looking for, and being poly, they should still be in fine shape, right?

Inner Tie Rod - for '89-97 Tbird/Cougar & '93+ Mark VIII 2 $25.99 $51.98

Outer Tie Rod - for '89-97 Tbird/Cougar & '93+ Mark VIII 2 $28.99 $57.98

Poly Outer Tie Rod Boots - Pair 1 $9.99 $9.99

Right Upper Control Arm Assembly - for '89-97 Tbird/Cougar 1 $61.99 $61.99

Left Upper Control Arm Assembly - for '89-97 Tbird/Cougar 1 $61.99 $61.99

Right Lower Control Arm Assembly - for '89-97 Tbird/Cougar 1 $52.99 $52.99

Left Lower Control Arm Assembly - for '89-97 Tbird/Cougar 1 $52.99 $52.99

Bushings for the Rear of the Front Suspension Strut Rod - Set for both sides 1
$52.99 $52.99

Poly Bushings for the Front of the Front Suspension Strut Rod - Set for both sides 1 $69.99 $69.99

Front Sway Bar End Link - for '93+ Tbird/Cougar/Mark VIII 2 $45.99 $91.98

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Hmm very interesting. They looked beefier then stock and I see what you did with the stock washers I think that's why they're on such great shape. No cracks, no issues. The 95 still tracks oddly but I'm fairly sure that's due to the not so wonderful yet everlasting tires. I may order a set of poly strut rod bushings for the 97 and install them the same way as they are on the 95. It pulls right, I alighned it to pull left, it still pulls right lol it has a radial pull. Swap the tires around and it follows. Oh well. BFGoodrich tires are going on it next, after proper tires I will re-align it properly.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
Hmm very interesting. They looked beefier then stock and I see what you did with the stock washers I think that's why they're on such great shape. No cracks, no issues. The 95 still tracks oddly but I'm fairly sure that's due to the not so wonderful yet everlasting tires. I may order a set of poly strut rod bushings for the 97 and install them the same way as they are on the 95. It pulls right, I alighned it to pull left, it still pulls right lol it has a radial pull. Swap the tires around and it follows. Oh well. BFGoodrich tires are going on it next, after proper tires I will re-align it properly.
If I recall, we had no choice but to re-use some stock washers with the new bushings, something about the SCP pieces, and I can't remember specifics, but as they came from SCP, they could NOT be used on the car at all.

It still has those damn weird off brand made in china junk tires? I meant for those to be an absolute temporary deal, since they sucked so much, the tire shop guy said they where only rated for 20,000 miles or something crazy...it had nearly new Radial T/A's on the 15" fanblades...I jammed on the brakes and the passenger side front tire locked up and flat-spotted really really bad. One tire was about 100 bucks, or 100 bucks for the SC wheels with what looked to be a new set of tires...turns out they where 15+ years old, and so dry rotted it was definately a safety issue...all I could afford at the time was the junk, but I fully intended on keeping the car at that point, the decision to sell all happend very quick and un-expected.

BTW I like your gallery you used the final two photos I ever took of the 95 (with the SC wheels) some how those photos hid almost all the exterior flawas of that car.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
If I recall, we had no choice but to re-use some stock washers with the new bushings, something about the SCP pieces, and I can't remember specifics, but as they came from SCP, they could NOT be used on the car at all.

It still has those damn weird off brand made in china junk tires? I meant for those to be an absolute temporary deal, since they sucked so much, the tire shop guy said they where only rated for 20,000 miles or something crazy...it had nearly new Radial T/A's on the 15" fanblades...I jammed on the brakes and the passenger side front tire locked up and flat-spotted really really bad. One tire was about 100 bucks, or 100 bucks for the SC wheels with what looked to be a new set of tires...turns out they where 15+ years old, and so dry rotted it was definately a safety issue...all I could afford at the time was the junk, but I fully intended on keeping the car at that point, the decision to sell all happend very quick and un-expected.

BTW I like your gallery you used the final two photos I ever took of the 95 (with the SC wheels) some how those photos hid almost all the exterior flawas of that car.
Yep it still has those junk tires lol I've only put maybe 7,000-10,000 miles on it durring it's two years with me. I keep meaning to replace them however the current driver (my mother) drives it a whopping 5-10 miles a month lol. I drive it the real miles. The wet look picture really hides the flaws too lol. As far as having to reuse some of the stock pieces I could imagine how someone who autocrossed the car as noted above would roll/pop a bushing over using those cheap washers from the kit. The 95 gallery will continue to update so keep an eye on it. Someday I'd like it to look like that someday picture in that gallery but my health comes first lol after my surgery I have loads of work lined up on the 97, the 95, and the f150. It will be tear-down-appaloosa!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

speaking of the wet look, I had no idea how bad the paint was when I bought it, thanks to that...here are the original photos that the first owner put up on the craigslist ad when I found the car in 2007

The seat covers where the first thing to go as soon as I pulled into the driveway with the car, the day I bought it...they had flowers on them! Other than one giant cigarette burn and a few small tears on the outer seam on the drivers seat, the front seats where in great shape....under the console there where about 25 cigarette butts, and the rear deck carpet by the third brake cover had what seemed to be a giant cigar burn...or maybe it was a cigarette burn that turned into a small fire, making a very large cigarette burn, it was always a mystery. I never could figure out how such a low milage car could have such bad paint, such faded interior, but it was in such good shape outside of the way it looked that it just sort of boggled the mind.

The 40th anniversary vinyl was in REALLY REALLY bad shape, it was all cracked and messed up. I bought the car in late november, and myself and a friend spent three months in cold weather with heat guns removing that crap...that was difficult....but loads of BS'ing beer drinking fun.

Good luck with the surgery...get healthy, stay healthy, and I can't wait to see the tear-down-appaloosa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in