Inner tie rod - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Inner tie rod

Can someone give me a quick how to on replacing the inner tie rod on 95 t-bird. Thanks. Going out now to attempt..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Geeeez. No one? Already done. It was a snap. Going for allignment.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Impatient much, are we?

There's always the SEARCH facility, or the even better GOOGLE capability.

Past that, we're not here to serve at your whim. Try giving a little lead time next time, if you want a favor.

RwP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Step 1. raise car

Step 2. remove inner tie rod*

Step 3. install inner tie rod**

Step 4. lower car

Notes:

*lefty loosey

**righty tighty

-Matt
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevelaz View Post
Can someone give me a quick how to on replacing the inner tie rod on 95 t-bird. Thanks. Going out now to attempt..
Best go check ebay and get yourself a shop manual. Tells you how to do most everything. And you don't have to wait for us to reply.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:44 PM
5th Gear Poster

@ all:
How likely are these to be worn out at 80k miles?

I'm doing a front end job, having replaced the UCA's, have LCA's waiting to be installed, OEM strut bushings on order, will do outer rod ends, probably sway bar links as well.
But I'm wondering if these inner joints tend to wear much.

It seems it may be more of a hassle to replace these than most other front suspension components, having to deal with the steering rack boots and not having proper torque wrench adapter for use with the inner rod nut (could order adapter, but all I can find are box end, no open end ones which I'd rather have).

Still, I'm thinking I should replace all components that relate to alignment all at once, so I'll only have to pay for alignment one time.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

My inners went bad before the outers did. Or else they went bad afterwards, and the replacement outers died after that.

Don't skimp on the rack boots.

What !I! am doing on my Malibu with the inner/outer tie rod replacement (replacing both - it's about the same pain to replace either, so why not do both?) is marking the nut, disassembling them putting the nut back, putting the outer back, measuring it, making sure the new pair are the same, marking where the nut is on the new one, disassembling them, installing them, and putting them back the same way.

That way my inside-to-outer-tie-rod-spindle distance should be the same, keeping it close enough to drive to the shop to get it aligned.

That's the plan, anyway.

RwP
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Inners are usually the first to go, mine were noticeably worn by 80k and even had some play when I got it at 70k

-Matt
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Ralph, chill out i wasnt upset no one replied quick, i was just surprised. There were a lot of people on here ast the time. And i did do a search here and there were no hits. It was no big deal, its done. Except for the allignment. I took it this afternoon and it sucks, pulls worse than after i put the rod on and eye balled it. It pulls to the left now. I'll have to take it in tomorrow again. Another thing, i had new tires put on this morning and no i have what sounds like a tire hum. Maybe they need to be worn in.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Chances are the tire hum is from bad alignment. Whenever you do again count the threads when you take them off and you will be close.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I agree. I had several degrees of negative combined toe on the front end, which was chewing up the insides of my tires (after I put the Wide Ovals on). There was a LOT of road noise from them, most especially under braking. After the alignment, they're considerably quieter.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Allignment done, but had to go back a second time because it pulled to left, Seems to be ok now. Hum still there and think it may be bearings but didnt notice the hum before the nwe tires. I'l have to keep an eye on it..
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

Ok, I've ordered outer and inner rod ends.

Now I'm wondering about the bellows. Upon cursory inspection, with the wheels at either extreme, I didn't notice any cracks or holes in the Ford ones and they seem to have plenty of flexibility/elasticity left in them.

Is it really necessary to replace the bellows as well when I do the inners? If they haven't dried up and cracked by 80k, am I pressing my luck that much to expect them to last past 100k (that's about 4 more years, as this car is driven about 5k per year)?

Fords are 3x the price of Moogs. What kind of luck have you had with Moog, Beck-Arnley or Raybestos bellows?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
TRWs from advance are $25 a piece, they are the same as motorcraft.

-Matt
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 AM
4th Gear Poster

since we already have the thread going, can someone give details about the inner toe rods before I order them and crawl under there and get started. My odometer quit working at 145,000 and I am sure my car still has the stock inner tie rods. I might as well add them to ,my list of parts to get and do at once.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Moog, TRW, or Motorcraft inner tie rods.

So far I've been VERY displeased with the (lack of) life of Moog bellows, however - I have a pair of ACDelco ordered to see if I can beat 1 year life with them (the Moogs - one set failed within a year, the other within three months. The first set MAY have failed that quickly, don't know.)

Do the bellows also, but I'd have to say pick them up from Ford right now, until we see how the ACDelco and/or the Raybestos Professional Grade last.

No, I'm not trying anything lower - if the MOOGS fail like that, why would I try the cheap chinee crap?

RwP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in