What is This Rattle!? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

What is This Rattle!?

Hey All, I made a video of a mysterious rattle thats comming from the drivers side front end that i cant seem to pinpoint, It was there when i first bought the car & since then I replaced UCA,LCA, sway bar Endlink, Inner & Outer Tierod end. I drove on a gravel road so you can hear the noise contstant. It does it on regular roads too when i drive over deformities in the highway. Below is the video. Anyhelp would be great thanks.
Jeremy

---Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran Poster

Did you consider strut mounts?

Phrum Steve

89 Thunderbird SC 3.8SC W/ Factory manual
http://photobucket.com/SCno1

94 Thunderbird LX 3.8 N/A Automatic
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/...Bird%20No%203/
sold, sadly

95 Thunderbird SC deal pending
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by renello79 View Post
Did you consider strut mounts?
Why? His car doesn't have any.

Upper shock mounts, OTOH ... are on their way to me from RockAuto so I can get rid of a similar clunking on my car. Along with lower spring seats for the front. And sway bar bushings and end links (the only things I HAVEN'T swapped out on the front of this car ... )

RwP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran Poster

I have front struts and it's still a MN12 so am I missing something here????????

Phrum Steve

sold, sadly

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
I have front struts and it's still a MN12 so am I missing something here????????
yes, they are called shocks.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Yes i replaced tho's also when i replaced the other things. Any Idears? Im lost lol

---Jeremy
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
The struts run from the lower control arm forward to the K-member.

The SHOCKS are mislabeled "struts" by most people.

If you have a strut mount, then you've not got a MN12/FN10 chassis.

RwP
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Yep, a coilover shock does not a strut make. It's just one part of MacPherson design and not the part that effects the actual articulation of the suspension components that makes a MacPherson strut unique.

-Matt
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 PM
It is nice

sway bar rattling maybe?

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

If it was the swaybar wouldnt it be hear on both sides? is sounds as if it is just in the driver side wheelwell :S

---Jeremy
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
It is nice

probably just start tugging on things would be easiest to tell, check the dust shield maybe and plastic wheel well for loosness or something hitting, etc. hard to tell just from the sound alone... good luck

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Veteran Poster

Sway bar links can go one at a time, I just did my driver side sway bar link upper control arm and passenger side inner tie rod end cause they were all bad

Phrum Steve

sold, sadly

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tiveJuggalo17 View Post
If it was the swaybar wouldnt it be hear on both sides? is sounds as if it is just in the driver side wheelwell :S
Depends. If it's, say, the swaybar bracket bushing, it'd only rattle on that side. Ditto if it's just one end link bad.

Those are easy enough to replace (and don't affect alignment!) I'd consider doing the whole set - both end links and both bracket bushings.

RwP
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Depends. If it's, say, the swaybar bracket bushing, it'd only rattle on that side. Ditto if it's just one end link bad.

Those are easy enough to replace (and don't affect alignment!) I'd consider doing the whole set - both end links and both bracket bushings.

RwP
Ill crawl around underthere tomaro and check the calipers & sway bar brackets, I replaced every suspension component on both side within the past year lol. Hopefully its just the bracket and i could just tighten it down right?

---Jeremy
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

On Ruby Jean, the rear swaybar bracket BUSHINGS are rotting out (hey, it's 21 year old rubber back there!) Not sure about the front, but I'll be swapping those ALSO when I do the end links.

I've just got to decide if I want to swap the front spindles for the better brakes now, and do the end links - or do them twice (once now with the 1991 spindles, again when I change to the later model spindles.) Decisions, decisions.

RwP
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Listened to the video several times, it almost sounds like the brake pad rattle I had at one point, but IIRC mine had a higher-pitched sound..

It's a long shot, (read: wild guess) but since you're going to be under the car, poke a finger up near the top of the brake caliper, and feel if the rattle clips are in the caliper. First T-bird I bought had new pads but the PO had left the clips out. Sounded like an aluminum extension ladder loosely strapped to the undercarriage, but did it on rough surfaces and bumps only. (And while researching what could be causing it, I stumbled across this neat website called TCCoA. You may have heard of it, lol. )

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?" www.despair.com
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Pretty simple if you have an upper control arm you have a shock....in this case it is a coil over shock.
Alan
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
On Ruby Jean, the rear swaybar bracket BUSHINGS are rotting out (hey, it's 21 year old rubber back there!) Not sure about the front, but I'll be swapping those ALSO when I do the end links.

I've just got to decide if I want to swap the front spindles for the better brakes now, and do the end links - or do them twice (once now with the 1991 spindles, again when I change to the later model spindles.) Decisions, decisions.

RwP
Might as well do it all at once, no need to do it twice. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorchmp View Post
Listened to the video several times, it almost sounds like the brake pad rattle I had at one point, but IIRC mine had a higher-pitched sound..

It's a long shot, (read: wild guess) but since you're going to be under the car, poke a finger up near the top of the brake caliper, and feel if the rattle clips are in the caliper. First T-bird I bought had new pads but the PO had left the clips out. Sounded like an aluminum extension ladder loosely strapped to the undercarriage, but did it on rough surfaces and bumps only. (And while researching what could be causing it, I stumbled across this neat website called TCCoA. You may have heard of it, lol. )
Thats exactly what it sounds like too, When i get off work thats my purpose lol. Thats insane because i stumbled across that website and it is the best thing since individual cheese slices!

---Jeremy
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
Pretty simple if you have an upper control arm you have a shock....in this case it is a coil over shock.
Alan
No sir. They are a modified strut. Kind of like the mustangs which are labeled from Ford as a modified mcphearson strut.

Look into the brake caliper/pad. Does anything change the noise? Like lightly touching the pedal? You most likely will not be able to pull on the end link and have it shake with the front up on the jackstand. That puts the front in a bind. You can try it on the grond and see what you have.

SWS

Soon to have some MHS parts, cams, 'luminum block, lower compression, ported heads, autorotor, and need to make long tubes. I have almost all the stuff and need some #42-50s a bypass valve, and maybe a few other things.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalkersee View Post
No sir. They are a modified strut. Kind of like the mustangs which are labeled from Ford as a modified mcphearson strut.
But Ford labels these as coilover shocks, in fact there's not a single mention of macpherson to be found in one page of factory Ford sales or service literature.

The key word in "MacPherson strut" is strut...

Quote:
A strut is a structural component designed to resist longitudinal compression. Struts provide outwards-facing support in their lengthwise direction, which can be used to keep two other components separate, performing the opposite function of a tie...

...An automotive suspension strut combines the primary function of a shock absorber (as a damper), with the ability to support sideways loads not along its axis of compression, somewhat similar to a sliding pillar suspension, thus eliminating the need for an upper suspension arm
...Again key word. Call it a "modified MacPherson coilover" if you wish but in terms of articulation the MN12 shocks do not function as a strut.

Mustangs use a what is called a modified MacPherson strut soley because the spring is under the LCAs, but they don't drop the "strut" monicker because they are still indeed struts.

-Matt
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalkersee View Post

Look into the brake caliper/pad. Does anything change the noise? Like lightly touching the pedal? You most likely will not be able to pull on the end link and have it shake with the front up on the jackstand. That puts the front in a bind. You can try it on the grond and see what you have.

SWS
Not that it matters but I respectfully disagree. These are not any form of macpherson strut. They are coilover shocks. A strut would have a bearing on top and rotate and there would be no need for an upper control arm.
Alan
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
Not that it matters but I respectfully disagree. These are not any form of macpherson strut. They are coilover shocks. A strut would have a bearing on top and rotate and there would be no need for an upper control arm.
Alan
Alan - I'm sorry, but my pedant has just kicked in.

Struts do NOT require a bearing on top and rotation. If they did, then how do our strut rods work? And what makes them "strut rods"? (Just to mull over a bit.)

A MacPHERSON strut does, ayep. Notice, two words there.

This is NOT to say the MN12 has a MacPherson strut front end. Matter of fact, AFAIK, the only thing MacPherson had anything to do with on my car is the rocker arm basic design ...

RwP
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 AM
PostWhore

Thumbs up

To check for sway bar end link rattle, pull car on ramps, do not jack one side. You want to relax the bar, not load it with twist. Then simply "strike" the bar in an easy to reach portion with the palm of hand (or piece of wood). If the link or bushings are the reason for the rattle, you'll hear it then.

A "STRUT" as in "macpherson strut" serves as shock absorber and spring mount and axis upon which the front wheel spindle is steered left / right. It forms the third leg needed to locate the front wheel, the other two legs being the LCA (that incorporates a strut as part of it's makeup when the LCA itself has only one inner pivot point).

The "modified macpherson strut" used in FOX body T-Birds and Cougars and Mustangs and etc does not have a coil spring wound around it, the spring is elsewhere. It is a "STRUT" there as it forms that important third leg and the wheels are located and steered along it's axis. (My '1985 T-Bird's strut did not rotate inside a top bearing mounted to the fender well, the rotation for steering was allowed within the strut itself between the piston rod and lower body.)

MN12s have "coil over shock absorbers" up front. The spindle and wheel is located and steered upon axis located by unequal length control arms. The coil over shock unit only provides a means of mounting the spring upon the shock absorber which dampens the spring and suspension movements.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Funny how this comes up from time to time.

Ford has called it a Strut. Parts stores label it as such as well.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0077&ppt=C0035
I know just because a website calls something a strut doesn't make it so. But go into your parts store and argue that one.

By design they are a cross between a strut and shock.

From the sound I would think you could really pin it down. With the tire in the air, a jack stand under the car, move the tire back and forth. I would almost lay money on inner tie rods.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
If the spring was located between the LCA and K member and the shock was in the same location would it still be called a strut by so many? No? I didn't think so.

The definition of coilover isn't "strut". It's not a cross, it's not a hybrid, it's not modified, it's just a coilover shock.

Parts stores are a lousy source of info and I haven't come across any REAL Ford literature that has the front shocks labeled as struts, and yes I've looked.

-Matt
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Mmmm Hmm, Well i check out my calipers yesterday and tried to wiggle everything but nothing would budge. I tried to tighten down the swaybar brackets and their snug, i stuck my finger in the caliper to try to move something but no go on that either, Im stumped lol.

---Jeremy
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Are the anti rattle clips on the calipers?

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Not sure what those look like

---Jeremy
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 PM
It is nice

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=78231_0_0_

^^ usually the rubber pieces broken/missing will make more of a clunk than a rattle but check those also

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yeah those tin things in the pic are the rattle clips. one for each side, in a hole in the center of the caliper, the shoes are squeezed in against them. i don't think you can see them without the tire off.
only thinking about it because the one on my driver-side caliper poped out a little and was making a really annoying grinding noise against my rim on my way home one night, i just took it out, hasn't rattled at all yet. ill pop it back in next time i have the brakes apart :P

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 09-29-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in