Ok, so I have these J springs from the Sport I'm parting out and I have bad air ride on my Mark VIII (rear goes down overnight).
So, today I tore out the air bags and put in the springs. Now, I had to come up with some way to mount the top. Here is what I did...
1) Went to the shop to find a big diesel pipe in the junk heap that I could cut a couple of 2" long pieces from. Fortunately, the very first pipe I found was the perfect size to fit inside the spring and I cut these two pieces:
2) Now I had to find a piece of plate steel to weld the two pieces of pipe to and I found an old flywheel in the junk pile and cut out a couple of squares:
3) After I pounded the plates flat, found a couple of bolts that I cut off short, & drilled a couple of holes, I was ready to start welding (well, actually Chris welded them - he does it for a living):
4) Then the plates were welded to the pipe pieces and I had my two completed units:
5) I set them into the top of the springs, placed them in place on the car and here is my completed installation:
Tomorrow the front needs to be done!