New rack and pinion- Advance Auto- DON'T BUY - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

New rack and pinion- Advance Auto- DON'T BUY

I replaced the rack and pinion on my 95 LX 4.6 maybe two or three years ago, just because I rebuilt the front end and wanted new parts. Well, a leak has started from a small tear in the driver side bellows. So, that means the housing seal is already gone, at the very least, since the bellows is not designed to hold fluid in anyway.
Don't buy this remanufactured product made by FENCO. I would have been better off keeping my original unit which had no leaks.
Who knows when the leak actually started before the tear in the bellows? JUNK. Buy new Ford parts if you can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the warning.

I think Misc. or Suspension would be better forums for this one. Could an admin move it?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinogt View Post
I replaced the rack and pinion on my 95 LX 4.6 maybe two or three years ago, just because I rebuilt the front end and wanted new parts. Well, a leak has started from a small tear in the driver side bellows. So, that means the housing seal is already gone, at the very least, since the bellows is not designed to hold fluid in anyway.
Don't buy this remanufactured product made by FENCO. I would have been better off keeping my original unit which had no leaks.
Who knows when the leak actually started before the tear in the bellows? JUNK. Buy new Ford parts if you can!
Hey, you're not too far from me!

I've seen tons of those racks with fluid in the bellows. As a matter of fact, every time I remove a bellow to replace an inner tie rod end or some other reason there is always some fluid in there - not much, but a little. I'm always careful to put the bellow back on with a good tie wrap, clamp, or other way of securing it because of this.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Fenco is crap, its also cheap stuff, go A1 cardone for remanufactured parts. They have always been pretty reliable. I have noticed that many aftermarket companies parts do not last as long as OE parts, but then again many aftermarket parts are half the price the dealer wants, so this is a case of you get what you pay for.

Rob
2004 QSM Pontiac GTO 1 of 889 245,00 and counting
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Could an admin move it?
Sure!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Fenco feels like they make quality products. I went to an ACDelco PS class one time and it was a British guy from Fenco dropping the knowledge on us. They make all the PS and hydroboost stuff delco sells. We learned some basic things about power steering pumps and hydroboost setups. They gave us a rubber plug with a vacuum barb on it for bleeding things. That has been very useful at times, but I still made the mistake of putting a Delco (Fenco) pump on a Taurus and it would not get quiet! I vacuumed it out to get the air out of the vanes...no luck. It wouldnt hold vacuum for long either because it was drawing in air through the seals. Did it again with a motorcraft pump....problem solved. It vacuum bled perfect the first try and actually held vacuum.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 PM
PostWhore

Garage
huh, well A1 cardone's are awful sometimes too >.> its kind of hit and miss it seems. selling them at Oriely's i have seen failed units returned for warranty 6000 miles later, and I've seen them last the life of the car... but unfortunately you really cant get 'new' ones for our cars anymore, so you just have to pick one and cross your fingers i suppose.

ill be in the market for one soon too. my rack is actually clunking inside where the shaft goes in just looked at it today thinking it was an inner tierod or something. nope, everything's tight and the steering shaft moves all the way down into the rack without any play... listen to the rack itself and theirs the clunking noise >.> its awful, shake the wheel back and forth and all it dose is clunk clunk clunk clunk...

suppose that probably explains the wooly and armstrong steering i have been having at low rpm sometimes... guess ill be throwing a whole new system on, pump lines and all -_-

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 05-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 PM
PostWhore

Garage
hmmm got pretty much everything i need. but I'm wondering if that feed line for the PS pump is a molded hose. cant seem to find it listed on any parts websites, i'm sure i could get some bulk hose in that size but for oil i don't know... whats the inside diameter on that anyway? pretty sure the return is just some 3/8 transmission line.

95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM
PostWhore

Garage
well it looks like it is a molded Ford only part >.> only part number bit i can seem to find without a trip to my local dealership is 3691 off fordparts.com

also i completely forgot i had a power steering cooler under their... now i need those lines as well, unless i just bypass it. or run some bulk hose to it. seems those are 3A713 numbers. perhaps ill be able to get something with those numbers at the dealership... not going to be cheep though, and i know that's not a full ford part number.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in