• 1 Post By guitar maestro
  • 1 Post By Grog6
  • 1 Post By guitar maestro
  • 1 Post By Woodman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Watch out for junk dorman spindle nuts!

I didn't want to wait for the Ford one so I ordered dorman/motormite 615-098.1. I did some front end work - decided to pop in ball joints and noticed a raspy wheel hub.

This is a 1 piece dull bronze beauty is made in China. It is also $5 vs the $20 or so from Ford (local or shipped).

Well, I thread about 3/4 of the nut on the spindle ( so its not a crossthread issue), and then I pull out my digital torque adapter to get it to the 150 ft/lb step before the big torque wrench. I notice some resistance, thats great, the retaining feature is there, then I realize that the prevailing torque is skyrocketing - close to 90 ft lbs and the end of the spindle isn't even showing!

I realize at this point I have a big problem, because I notice some shavings at the end of the nut. I started backing off the nut and it was REALLY hard to get out. I got it out, and there were shavings in the hub (hopefully they didn't enter the races) and the threads on the spindle are somewhat damaged. The spindle was very hot after removing the nut. Probably if I went a bit further the spindle would have been destroyed.

I ended up reusing the old Ford nut (because it was in pristine condition) and a few shops here told me they do it all the time. I also used red locktite. There was damage to the spindle threads, but I was able to put the ford nut back and it had good prevailing torque. I am going to check it over the next few days to see if it holds. Ideally the knuckle should probably be replaced.

I guess they overcrimped the end of that nut - and that caused the damage. The threads at the top of the nut are practically gone.

This shows how risky aftermaket products are...This nut crosses with new Mustangs that are still sitting on the dealer lot and all Panthers.....so buyer beware!

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
+1 on re-using the stock nut with a lil loctite! I will try to remember to stay away from those. I had a similar problem once with a reman axle nut. The one that came with it screwed up the threads, so I filed them back into decent shape and re-used the stock one.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
easy fix to use Dorman Spindle/axle nuts without fear of damaging threads on front spindles/rear halfshafts: use a big-a&^ M24 x 2.0 tap.

Ran it once from the flange side-to-out, and from the outside-to-flange side, and they go on smooth like butter. Got that tap on Ebay for $13.
CDsDontBurn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:50 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
I bought some of these when I did my mark update on Lazarus.

I just thought they were defective, and returned them to Advanced.

I thought the whole reason for the crimp was to make it impossible to get off, until I noticed the spindle damage.
If it's re-turning my freaking spindle to a new shape, I Do Not Want!!

I reused my factory bolts with red locktite also.

I may replace these 10 more times, best case. I want that spindle to still be there.

3-5 years a set; ok, maybe 5 more times, lol.

Amazing how the factory ones lasted 15 years or so, right?
SILVRBRD likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Yea I re-used mine several times. But I don't want to take any more chances and wanted a solid 1-piece nut on there.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I just put some new spindle nuts on my. I need to check my spindles now. I saw the last thread was crimped and they were hard to screw on but I used an impact gun so I am not sure how hard they were to screw on
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

worse comes to worse, just get a M24 x 2.0 die and you can get the threads back in shape. Then you can either buy a tap like I did and clean out the nuts, or send them to me and I'll do it for free. Now that I ran the tap through mine, I have no use for it, LOL.
CDsDontBurn likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995 cougar xr7 View Post
I just put some new spindle nuts on my. I need to check my spindles now. I saw the last thread was crimped and they were hard to screw on but I used an impact gun so I am not sure how hard they were to screw on
...Which is why you don't use Air tools for suspension parts...

Did you check the torque, or just go by the gun?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM
4th Gear Poster

Wouldn't running a tap through the new ones be just the same as reusing the old nuts? I foung a pair of new ford spindle nuts at the dealer, they were expensive at 18$ each though. Took few days to get them in.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
Wouldn't running a tap through the new ones be just the same as reusing the old nuts? I foung a pair of new ford spindle nuts at the dealer, they were expensive at 18$ each though. Took few days to get them in.
Sorry, never saw this reply. Not sure exactly what you mean. Running the tap through the new ones just gets rid of the area pinched-in at the outside end----it is very very very little material that gets removed from the threads. This way there is no risk of the Dorman nut chewing up the threads on an otherwise perfectly good spindle, and you can also get the appropriate amount of torque on it, just like the stock caged nuts. Also, they'd be infinitely re-useable, since they're not multi-piece like the Ford ones.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 PM
4th Gear Poster

I was just wondering how tapping out a new one time use spindle nut, would be any better then reusing the OEM nuts?

Just going to reuse the OEM nuts in the future here. They felt exactly the same torquing them up to speck as the old ones I had. Maybe a drop of red loctite would be in order.

I think it was a waste of 40$ buying new ones

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:22 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Since the OEM part is still available by Ford, and not grossly overpriced, why not just order them from the dealership and get the right ones? Then you don't have to waste time "fixing" a cheap part?
CDsDontBurn likes this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
I was just wondering how tapping out a new one time use spindle nut, would be any better then reusing the OEM nuts?
Well that's where we disagree. I don't think of them as "one-time use".
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
How often do you plan on removing them?

-Matt
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
How often do you plan on removing them?
Every time I break a half-shaft from so much powah!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in