Replacement struts - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Replacement struts

Converted -1.5"drop- 97 Mark viii: I'd like to to replace the front strut/shock assemblys. Just the strut/shock. Picking up some Monroe sensa tracs and was wondering if there was anything else I NEED to replace while they're apart. Isolators ect.

Gracias

Last edited by sbcaprice305; 04-26-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Not really. The only thing I like to have on hand is new lower shock bolts just because sometimes they are so rusted in there that they don't want to come out and have to be cut out. If the bolt comes out no problem, then there is no need to replace it though.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks Mike. I went through the air susp issue 2-3 years ago so i've had struts in/out more times then I want to remember, and its only seen half a winter so the bolt shouldn't be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Search??

Hello

You should do a search on this subject.
There are many post on just not calling the front shocks --> struts.

I can swap a front shock assembly rolling to rolling in 1/2 hour.
less if I rush. done it in less than 5. But that was at the track with tools out.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtess View Post
Hello

You should do a search on this subject.
There are many post on just not calling the front shocks --> struts.

I can swap a front shock assembly rolling to rolling in 1/2 hour.
less if I rush. done it in less than 5. But that was at the track with tools out.

I'm having my friend do it. I don't have a spring compressor and the closest place wants 25 a piece to put the new ones in once I take them out. Said place is 30 minutes from home. For the extra 50 bucks i'm just going to take it to my bud and be done with it. Imho, 160 parts and labor aint half bad for 2 new "shocks".

And if any of you are interested, Rockauto has a wholesale closeout on them for $28 each. #71845
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Cleaned up the thread. We really don't need another shock vs. strut argument do we?

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 04-25-2012 at 10:27 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Got the struts/shocks ( ) today from Rockauto. The strut boxes were a little beat up(not the shipping box) and had a tag dated 07' on them. The struts themselves did come in a monroe box, guess thats the "private label packaging" lol. . They look fantastic and are nice and firm when manually pushing/pulling the rod. So if anyone is interested go for it. 28 bucks each, my total shipped was $65 w/ coupon code for the pair. That's still less then 1 strut from any auto parts joint.

Last edited by sbcaprice305; 04-26-2012 at 09:38 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcaprice305 View Post
Got the struts/shocks ( ) today from Rockauto. The strut boxes were a little beat up(not the shipping box) and had a tag dated 07' on them. The struts themselves did come in a monroe box, guess thats the "private label packaging" lol. . They look fantastic and are nice and firm when manually pushing/pulling the rod. So if anyone is interested go for it. 28 bucks each, my total shipped was $65 w/ coupon code for the pair. That's still less then 1 strut from any auto parts joint.
Let us know how it rides for you! I did the spring conversion on my Mark VIII and I absolutely love the firm stiff ride of the front end now, but I find the back too "bouncy".

I just put in a couple of those spring rubber rings to see if that will firm it up a little. After I get done with my oil adapter gasket and wp/pulley swap, I'll get a chance to see how much of a difference it made.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Let us know how it rides for you! I did the spring conversion on my Mark VIII and I absolutely love the firm stiff ride of the front end now, but I find the back too "bouncy".

I just put in a couple of those spring rubber rings to see if that will firm it up a little. After I get done with my oil adapter gasket and wp/pulley swap, I'll get a chance to see how much of a difference it made.
They won't be going in till I figure out whats causing wheel shake in the front end.(wheels balanced and susp has no play )
I'm pretty happy with my sensa trac rears, def 10 times better then the gas matics they replaced.
Hope the isolators work out for ya. They def gave me the extra height I needed back there, but it was hard to tell if they firmed anything up.

Last edited by sbcaprice305; 04-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in