Side to side wobble on the highway during left turns? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Question Side to side wobble on the highway during left turns?

I have a 1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6. Recently it has started wobbling side to side when I'm turning left on the highway around 70mph. It feels like the rear end is shaking side to side. I let my brother drive it while I followed, so I could watch it. It is not driving straight. The rear end is walking out to the right. I lifted the car and did not see anything obvious, but I don't know where I should look or what to look for. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsnith View Post
I have a 1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6. Recently it has started wobbling side to side when I'm turning left on the highway around 70mph. It feels like the rear end is shaking side to side. I let my brother drive it while I followed, so I could watch it. It is not driving straight. The rear end is walking out to the right. I lifted the car and did not see anything obvious, but I don't know where I should look or what to look for. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

-Brian
Check all of your bushings, try moving the wheel in/out side/side while in the air, check the rear subframe bolts, toe compensators, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, etc.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

I haven't had a chance to look at it again, but thanks for the quick response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Kind of slapped together

I'd be checking wheel bearings, toe compensators, spindle bushings, and the control-arm-to-frame bushings, in that order.

Subframe bushings also, but they seem to last forever down here in the south.

RwP

Fuelly
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

What I found.

The right wheel bearing is definitely bad. The sub frame bushings look good. The boots on the toe compensators are torn, but I could not feel any play in them. If I push in, on the top of the left tire it has about an inch of movement. It's moving in the area in the picture.
I'm not sure what the part is called. Thanks for the advise. Looks like I have some work to do.

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 10-22-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added picture
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
That's the upper control arm, bushing is probably shot.

If you need to replace them, check this thread first.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. That probably saved me a lot of trouble.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Kind of slapped together

I dunno what it is about right wheel bearings - I've got a rebuilt set of spindles with brand new bearings in them (USA-made Timkens) just sitting to go in Ruby Jean, and ... it turns out I'll have to do that this weekend, the passenger side bearing is dying.

RwP

Fuelly
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the control arm bushings. I pulled the right suspension knuckle. The Haynes manual has no instructions on replacing the wheel bearing. It just says to take it to a dealer or machine shop to have it replaced. Is that what I have to do, or can it be done at home? I have replaced bearings on my atv axle by hammering them out/in with a large socket. Could I use a similar technique for this bearing? Thanks again for all the help.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

I am back on the road. I could not hammer the bearing out. I also could not find anyone open on Saturday to press it out for me. So I bought a 20 ton press from craigslist. I pressed the hub out of the bearing, barely. It sounded like a gun shot when it finally broke free. I could not get the bearing out. I tried heating it, penetrating oil, and an air hammer to get it loose, but nothing worked. I returned the new bearing, went to LKQ and got a complete knuckle assembly with hub for $28. Everything feels nice and tight, and much less noise on the highway.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 05:18 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
You have to press those apart and back; it took ~18k psi to move the last set.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in