Suspension Gallery?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Suspension Gallery??

Hey - I have been searching around for suspension pics, and didn't find much.
I found a bunch of stuff that Rod had posted, and a couple of random things. I'm looking for clean suspension stuff, different paint, powder coat, etc.
Like a bunch of others I'm going to be doing some winter projects along with suspension rebuild and probably hub swap.

Let's see whatca got!

Thanks for any input.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Racecougar & RodeoJoe have two of the best IMO.

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:30 AM
̇

Garage
Rich Thompson had a really nice Thunderbird..

I don't know if that car is still around or not?

He was the owner of MN12 Performance..That was our go to guy for MN12 parts before Bill at SCP came along..

He was also a contributor to many tech articles here..

This particular article comes to mind when you mention clean rear suspension set-ups..

IRS Build-up How-To

Here's a shot from that article of a pinion brace he used to offer:

There's not many MN12 owners that really put in the time to make the suspension, or undercarriage show-worthy..

I hope the ones that do post some pics though..Who doesn't like a nice undercarriage

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks guys;

I have looked at Rods pics and Rodeo Joe's as well. I did see a few others also.

Rayo - Thanks for that link. I had come across that tech article a while back, I had gotten a good used sub frame (mines rusty) and it's at a local fabracator right now getting welded and boxed. I spent a good deal of time last winter cleaning up the underside and painting it with POR paint in preperation to rebuild the front and rear suspension this winter.

I saw you had a link somewhere about a replacement rack unit, I was wondering if you had replaced yours or not? Mine isn't leaking at the moment but it does have 125k on it.

If I'm gonna replace everything else do I do that also?

I've had the interior out since last February, chasing a cabin water leak that ended up coming in from both sides. I was determined to get that done before moving on. I want to try to put up a thread this winter about that - I think it was leaking for 15 years or better. Luckily the bird lives in the garage and I have a work truck!

I appreciate everyones input.

Tim
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 04:04 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBirdTim View Post
Rayo - Thanks for that link. I had come across that tech article a while back, I had gotten a good used sub frame (mines rusty) and it's at a local fabracator right now getting welded and boxed. I spent a good deal of time last winter cleaning up the underside and painting it with POR paint in preperation to rebuild the front and rear suspension this winter.
Kudos to you for having someone actually weld, and box in your rear sub-frame..That's money well spent..

One other piece I would suggest buying is a RTLB:

*RTLB gets mounted below the differential cover..

These also help to increase the rigidity of the rear sub-frame..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBirdTim View Post
I saw you had a link somewhere about a replacement rack unit, I was wondering if you had replaced yours or not? Mine isn't leaking at the moment but it does have 125k on it.

If I'm gonna replace everything else do I do that also?
As far as the rack goes..As long as it's not leaking I wouldn't replace it..

The reviews aren't in on the Rack Doctor replacement Rack & Pinion yet..

Most of the other aftermarket brands of Rack & Pinions for our cars is hit or miss..Some have gotten good ones, most have had issues with them though..

If you're able to remove one of the clamps on your inner tie rod boots without damaging the boot..Look inside there, and if it's dry in there you're good to go..

When the inner tie rod boots have any liquid in them..That's when you know the rack will soon need replaced..

Mine needs changed but it's on the lower half of my to-do list..

Unless you're having issues with the rack leave it alone..One other thing..Don't use actual power steering fluid it's too thin..

If you need to top it off use Type F transmission fluid..If you're starting with fresh fluid use Mercon V..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Brace

I did have my eye on the pinion brace, Bill sells them so I bought one from him on Black friday for $205, figured it was the best price I'd ever get, and I had gotten the one that goes under the rear control arms, used that is in great shape.

Got the subrame back from the welder, he did a nice job, also got a set of rear upper control arms so he could weld them at the same time, just need to get the bushings put in and then paint them.

I had gotten the Mark VIII lowers last summer.
As far as the rack, I guess I'll check it and leave it alone until somthing happens, I do the the inner and outer tie rods to go in.

I usually drain the powersteering system and refill it with merc V at each oil change to keep things fresh.

Now just need some time to get in the garage...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in