missing bushings/noises - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

missing bushings/noises

I had the front end rebuilt new upper n lower control arm bushings. all thats left is sway bar bushings that run thru the control arm. And inner/outer tie rods. When i turn sharp at 10mph it feel like the front skids over instead of turning.

Also by the rear control arm bushings ready to fall out anytimr(my friend said that) when they fall out will the control arm and tire fall to the ground. That happened up front.

While doing my weekly inspection on the rears until i replace the bushings i noticed theres a bolt with a circle shape on the top that a shaft slides thru. But im missing the roumd bushing there. Over bumps it sounds like metal clanging. Could that be the noise cause?

The shaft runs from the circle part by the spring straight down to the control arm where theres a bushing on both sides accompied by a washer and nut.

The end is bent for some reason but ive seen it like that on 2 other tbirds. The right side has a less slight angled bend to it. Is that also normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
No, the rear control arms won't fall to the ground with a bushing failure, the bushings even if they did completely fail(whereby the rubber gets squeezed out) the arm would still be contained within the inner sleeve, unlike the fronts where when a ball joint fails the arm will completely let go of the wheel, which is much worse. It would be pretty unpleasant to drive though

I think what you're describing at the rear are the rear sway bar links? The stock ones aren't supposed to be bent, and yes if there's no rubber at the pivot it results in loud metal on metal clunking as described.

-Matt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
No, the rear control arms won't fall to the ground with a bushing failure, the bushings even if they did completely fail(whereby the rubber gets squeezed out) the arm would still be contained within the inner sleeve, unlike the fronts where when a ball joint fails the arm will completely let go of the wheel, which is much worse. It would be pretty unpleasant to drive though

I think what you're describing at the rear are the rear sway bar links? The stock ones aren't supposed to be bent, and yes if there's no rubber at the pivot it results in loud metal on metal clunking as described.
Okay thats good news. I dnt see tension on the end link so i should be able to throw a spare shock abs bushing in there and all will be well. Idk how it got bent it dosent look scruffed up like it was backed over or anything.

The rear still takes bumps pretty rough cuz the CA bushings but im glad they wont fall out. When the front right dropped out the tire turnt in horizontal facing the other one. That was a cause of the bushing failing?

The front spring mounts look fairly new im betting it could be that end link and rear mounts in the rear could make it loud but hopefully itll just be the end link. I dnt have the jack/tools to replace the spring mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ive looked on the autozone app and the website it says there isnt a bushing for end link. Link bushing. Sway bar end link etc. Only thing i could pull up were sway bar bracket bushins but i found this for extremely cheap.

Shock eye bushing. 50 cent each. Part number 31010

Would that fit.

My goal ia to redo the car with moog rebuild/greaseable ball joints and full car energy suspension bushings everywhere.but i figured these are 50 cent compared to the 10-40$ energy brand
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
The eyelet in the sway bar link is pretty small, I seriously doubt a shock bushing would fit. The only way to get a new bushing there is to get new endlinks, but I just use the energy suspension links on mine.

-Matt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
The eyelet in the sway bar link is pretty small, I seriously doubt a shock bushing would fit. The only way to get a new bushing there is to get new endlinks, but I just use the energy suspension links on mine.
Could you maybe pull a link on az to the end links or link to the bushings u used?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...25we?id=353712

None of those have eyelets.. But they had sway bar end link bushings i just found that looked small enough to fit.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in