Koni vs Bilstein - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
̇

Garage
Koni vs Bilstein

I've already read through most of the old Koni/Bilstein titled threads..Now I'm ready to start a new one..

I'd like some fresh opinions, and some comments from members with first hand experience..On to the question..

Have any of you ran both the Koni, and the Bilstein shocks on the rear of your MN12??(not simultaneously)

Describe the difference you felt between the two brands of shocks..

For example..Are the Bilstein rear shocks as soft as Koni rear shocks on the softest setting?

Thanks

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 03-26-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 08:47 AM
5th Gear Poster

Got Bilsteins with Eibachs.....now I don't have anything else to compare it too but I feel like this set up is a bit soft....I want a very firm ride.

Compared it to my wife's mazda 6 stock springs and Monroe struts/shocks the car is a lot firmer than mine just sitting in the garage and shaking an edge the Tbird seems to have more give and bounce than the mazda.

Now maybe I need to send one of my bilstein sets in to get rebuilt then compare it to the non rebuilt set....Im really debating on just getting Blues up front with those Vogland springs.

94 3.8 T-Bird Cardomain Sold to the junkman
1997 4.6L T-bird Laser Red HALO Headlight Conversion, Silencer Removed, Lowered Eibach 1 1/2inches, Bilstein Shocks, ART Catless Downtubes, Mandrel bent 2.5 Exhaust, Borla Mufflers, Mrk8 8.8 TL 3.73, 18x9 Black Saleens, BFGoodrich GForce Sport Comp-2 245/45/R18
2004 F-150 Single Cab 4.6

Last edited by winkeytoofly; 03-26-2015 at 04:20 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 02:51 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
i have a cobra bilsteins and vogland springs, and it's a firm ride.

Last edited by ogbird95; 04-04-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
̇

Garage
Has anyone else run both Koni and Bilstein shocks?

I'd like to hear your opinion after using both of them..

Thanks..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 05:50 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
I've had the Bilsteins on my '93 Mark VIII and currently run the Koni adjustables.

The Bilsteins are stiffer than the Koni rear shock when they are on the softest setting and I believe the Koni shocks to be stiffer than the Bilsteins when at the stiffest setting but not by a large amount.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
̇

Garage
Thank You Very Much!

That's exactly what I wanted to know..

Rayo..

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Well, never say never ... there's always someone who's done it.... I stand corrected.

So which ones are you going with and what's the price difference?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I have not tried the Bilsteins; the Konis are awesome, and allow tuning to the Nth degree if you want.

I want Koni's; the last time DLF talked to a rep, they said they needed 50 sets to make it worthwhile.

Y'all recon the new owners can Jack some sense in their asses??

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 06:58 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I couldn't care less about the rear shocks, all the "best" options just end up grossly mismatched with the universally too soft front options.

-Matt
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Well, never say never ... there's always someone who's done it.... I stand corrected.

So which ones are you going with and what's the price difference?
Just comparing prices between the two..It's about a $60 difference..

I have a brand new set of rear Sport shocks sitting in boxes that I was going to use..

Then the other day while I was at work on break..I was surfing Ebay on my tablet, and noticed how much the Koni rears were going for..

So..I may have a NOS set of rear Sport shocks available for sale soon..

I have a lot of weight in my trunk, and when I'm on the back roads opening her up..The rear shocks don't do well in the dips of the road..

I'll probably use the Konis set on their stiffest setting, and air bags if necessary..

Is there any rear coil spring Konis don't do well with??..They could probably dampen a wet noodle??

Rayo..

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Bilsteins

Mine are plenty stiff. Mount not all there yet.
waiting for the weather to break.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Just comparing prices between the two..It's about a $60 difference..

I have a brand new set of rear Sport shocks sitting in boxes that I was going to use..

Then the other day while I was at work on break..I was surfing Ebay on my tablet, and noticed how much the Koni rears were going for..

So..I may have a NOS set of rear Sport shocks available for sale soon..

I have a lot of weight in my trunk, and when I'm on the back roads opening her up..The rear shocks don't do well in the dips of the road..

I'll probably use the Konis set on their stiffest setting, and air bags if necessary..

Is there any rear coil spring Konis don't do well with??..They could probably dampen a wet noodle??

Rayo..
$60 more each (Total of $120 more) or $30 each (Total of $60 more)?

What do you keep in your trunk that's so heavy? Stereo box and amps or a full size spare?

Black Cat has a set of the adjustable Koni's I'd be interested to hear his input.

You might want to shed some of that weight in the trunk first. I think I heard somewhere that running the Koni's at their firmest setting can be a recipe for cracking the unibody.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I can only speak on the Koni's I had on my SVO. I set them in the full "Competition" mode, and they were fracken' awesome.... Like a giant gocart. Only wish I could afford them now. I know, the balance is totally different between the MN12and the SVO, but loved the Koni's.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
$60 more each (Total of $120 more) or $30 each (Total of $60 more)?

What do you keep in your trunk that's so heavy? Stereo box and amps or a full size spare?

Black Cat has a set of the adjustable Koni's I'd be interested to hear his input.

You might want to shed some of that weight in the trunk first. I think I heard somewhere that running the Koni's at their firmest setting can be a recipe for cracking the unibody.
Total of $60 more..

Yeah speaker box, amps, and batteries..

I have room for a mini-spare, but it's easier to call for a tow..

I'm not ready to downsize my stereo system yet..I enjoy the free back massage way too much..lol

Black Cat has Konis, and a manual transmission..So if he has had any issues with crackage..I don't know if I would necessarily place all the blame on the Konis..

Thanks for the tip anyways..We'll see if anyone else chimes in about that..

Rayo..

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 03-31-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate link
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
I've had the Bilsteins on my '93 Mark VIII and currently run the Koni adjustables.

The Bilsteins are stiffer than the Koni rear shock when they are on the softest setting and I believe the Koni shocks to be stiffer than the Bilsteins when at the stiffest setting but not by a large amount.
My Koni front shocks were stiffer than the Bilstein fronts at the mid setting, for the rears the Konis had to be at the stiffest setting to be stiffer than the Bilstein HD Cobras. Currently I'm running Tokico Blues on the front and am considering a new set of Tokico adjustables for a cobra mustang for the back as I am focusing on how it tracks, handles, and squats during launches at the track. The bird gets fed this year so my whole rear setup is getting changed.

Excuse the lateness of my reply, Honeymoon is over now.

Also blues are stiffer than sports by a little in the front, and about the same as Bilsteins without the pothole fear

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
A agree about the Blues; I don't like the variable rate springs I bought with them as well as sport springs, the variable part makes it feel floaty on the highway.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
My Tokico Springs are linear, though I always found them somewhat floaty on the highway too

-Matt
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:02 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
A agree about the Blues; I don't like the variable rate springs I bought with them as well as sport springs, the variable part makes it feel floaty on the highway.
Monroe Sensitracs on stock springs also give the car a floaty feeling going over dips in the hwy.

They did that since new, and now that they have some miles on them.......well let's just say it's not improving!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 AM
4th Gear Poster

I've got the Koni 'Yellows' on the front of my Mustang and I love them. It's a real shame they aren't available for the front of these cars anymore as I'd love to have a pair. I've got some slightly used Sport shocks for the front of mine but I'm not sure Konis on the rear would work well with them. Guess I will go with the Bilsteins on the rear...

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6- 20% tint, removed air silencer and not much else! (Mustang hubs, Cobra brakes, Vogtland springs, Mark VIII LCAs, Sport shocks and more waiting to be installed)

2013 DIB GT 301A 6-speed- 15% tint, Kooks 1 7/8 mid lengths, off-road x and cat back, Barton 2-post bracket, JPC clutch line, Koni Yellows, Maximum Motorsports C/C plates, BMR K-member, A-arms, UCA & Mount, LCAs and relo brackets, Steeda Ultralites and PHB, Shaftmasters DS, Brembo wheels- Tuned by AED
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:44 PM
4th Gear Poster

Suggestions?

I installed some OEM Motorcraft shocks to replace my original shot sport rears, the rear is a bit tighter now since they are new, but still too soft for my liking.

How are the Gabrial Ultras? I heard they are a bit stiffer than stock. The back of this car seems to need more tightening up then the front. I'm considering getting the Bilstein but worried they will be too stiff.

I'd love to find a pair of new sport shocks for the rear. I have a pair of NOS Monroe Reflex im going to install up front, but want to figure out the rear first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in