What springs for my shocks? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

What springs for my shocks?

I ordered the Cobra Bilstein Sport rear shocks and Tokico Blue fronts for my '92 LX 5.0. I have stock springs. What springs will work best with the shocks I'm getting?

Sport?
SC stock?
Vogtland?

I think the hard thing to match is the front because I have a heavy V8 and the Tokico shocks are not overly stiff based on reading here in the forums. Since I don't think I will find new factory SC or Sport springs I am thinking the Vogtland are the way to go and the 1" lowering looked to rate softer if I can get them.

Street and highway car here. I was thinking about a stiffer front sway bar but a lot of threads show fitment problems for the ADCO bars.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo
I have a brand new set of Vogtland springs if you're interested...still in the box.

2013 Mustang GT...2013 Escape
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Sport and sc springs are the same thing. Why not Tokico springs?

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I actually find the front Tokico springs are a little too stiff for the front Blue shocks, I think the Vogtlands would actually be a better match for them since they're progressive.

-Matt
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Lobo I'm interested.

XR7-4.6 you worry me that vogtlands will be too stiff for the Tokico Blues.

I did not consider Tokico springs since I have not read much about them here.

Considering price the Vogtlands are the closest to used stock springs.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Shocks were among the first things I did when I bought my car 15+ years ago. I was careless and cheap and did not replace any mounting parts and I got crunchy noise going over speed bumps. What do I need to get to eliminate noise?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I think the blues are about 10% too soft than ideal for the available lowering springs on the market, they're still worlds better than the Gabriel/Monroe/KYB alternatives though, and with progressive rates the the Vogtlands might be a better match. Linear springs such as the Tokicos bring out their worse qualities, which is odd since they can come as a kit

-Matt
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:53 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
The springs I bought in my Tokico kit are progressive; that's why I hate them.

You have to set them into a corner; sport springs don't do that.

CrystalPistol found the optimal ratio to cut the sport springs for best drop; I went that route. (On another car, sport springs and konis on Lazarus.)

I can't remember what it was, but the rear was less than a turn...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

So by the charts, it looks like the 0.9" Vogtlands are softer than the 1.75" and may match the Tokico blues better?
Also I have and air wrench and no suspension skills. Is spring and shock/strut replacement very difficult? I think rear shocks are easy.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
So by the charts, it looks like the 0.9" Vogtlands are softer than the 1.75" and may match the Tokico blues better?
Also I have and air wrench and no suspension skills. Is spring and shock/strut replacement very difficult? I think rear shocks are easy.
It's fairly straightforward if your car isn't rusty. When swapping springs, I would highly recommend you take the shock assembly to a shop with a wall mount spring compressor (easiest) if you have a friend who will do it for you (<5min of work). If not, I would recommend you get these from Autozone for free and take your time to remove the spring retaining plate (you don't want to have the top aimed at your body when you undo it unless the compressors are holding the spring so it won't uncompress to it's free length). To be extra paranoid, i also wrap the shock assembly in some scrap carpet just in case a compressor gives out suddenly).
http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...?checkfit=true

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in