Replace what when you are replacing rear springs - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Replace what when you are replacing rear springs

I'm getting new shocks and springs for my '92 LX. I've found the front mount rubbers top and bottom but I can't find anything for the rear springs or rear shockss. Is there some parts needed for the rear spring install and shock install in addition to the springs?

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 04:35 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
You should replace the spring isolators, 2 for each spring. While you're at it, look at the rear sway bar links and bushings also.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 05:13 PM
̇

Garage
Cobra IRS Rear Spring Insulators

Save some $$$, and pick up two sets of Rear Spring Insulators from LaurelMountainMustang.com

Here's a link-->>1999 - 2004 Mustang Cobra IRS (poly rear spring insulators) [part#6-1709-BL]

These were intended for the 99-04 Mustang Cobra w/IRS, but will fit MN12 stock & aftermarket rear coil springs just fine..

You would see an increase in the ride height of the rear end of the car if you were installing these to replace old squished worn-out rubber insulators..

Using the poly rear spring insulators paired with stock rear coil springs..They shouldn't make the rear end of the car sit any higher than it came originally though..

Oh yeah..Make sure you grease the hell out of these insulators with white lithium grease..Poly is annoyingly squeaky when it hasn't been greased..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 04-10-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Thanks Rayo but they want $16 to ship. I may shop around a little more.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 04:30 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Free shipping at SCP.

Joe

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
The shipping is built into SCP's price.

https://www.supercoupeperformance.co...-and-lower-237

Two sets (4 cups) for $80 at SCP vs (19.95 x 2) + 16 = $55.90 at Laurel Mountain a difference of $24.10 ....

It's a no-brainer if you ask me.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:39 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Is it $19.95 each or for a pair at Laurel Mountain? I was thinking $19.95 X 4!

Joe

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I'll probably buy but I've read mustang guys put a coil of heater hose on the spring and do fine. Maybe this and the old isolators?

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 01:55 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
I'll probably buy but I've read mustang guys put a coil of heater hose on the spring and do fine. Maybe this and the old isolators?
Never heard of the heater hose trick. It sounds half-assed to me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Is it $19.95 each or for a pair at Laurel Mountain? I was thinking $19.95 X 4!

Joe
$19.95 for a pair, $39.90 for a set ... shipping not included ...

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 02:40 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
$19.95 for a pair, $39.90 for a set ... shipping not included ...
Thank you Sir!

Quote:
It's a no-brainer if you ask me.
X2!

Joe

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I'd rather be called Cheesy like a Cheetoh. I have seen a General Contractor's truck labeled "Half Fast Construction" though and it made me chuckle.

I read about the heater hose while looking for a lower price on Google. It would probably last as long as I will be driving the car. It's not like it's going to make a wheel fall off. The Mustang guys were all about wanting control over ride height and saving money. Some were bottoming out with lowering springs and no isolators and wanted stock isolators for more ride height. Others weren't as low and could use something shorter than stock for an isolator. One guy wrote in to suggest cutting a piece of rubber the size of the spring contact flat. I think I can find thicker heater hose than plain rubber though.

Last edited by gordonm1; 04-17-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: grammar
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 03:04 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
If $60 to make your vehicle stable and uniform in both performance and ride height is too much, I don't even know what to say. I'm usually a cheap azz but this takes the cake. Remind me not to buy your vehicle.

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 03:54 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You'd be better off running no isolators at all, at least moisture wouldn't get trapped in the hose and rot the springs away.

I'm all for cheap solutions but this solution sucks. The isolators are there because the rear springs in these cars don't have flattened end coils, thus they meed isolators to spread the load of the coil full coil evenly in the LCA/fframe perches. Without them or with a hose wrapped around them the spring is only going to be partially contacting their perches and will indeed be unstable and noisy.

Cheapscate Mustang advice is very very seedy. Keep in mind a savvy owner of one can bargain hunt for used quality parts and piece together up a very competent all around setup for less than a grand. The ones that can't seem get past lame exterior crap and ignore everything under the skin are dolts.

-Matt
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:10 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I'll do you one better. I found these to install with my H&R springs. Free shipping too!
http://www.lethalperformance.com/sho...ring-isolators
No reason not to buy these, unless out of stock, because they are cheaper than the price of the other ones alone with (Free Shipping)! So you win all the way around. One thing over the years of working with this car is that these guys don't steer you wrong. The guys that responded has had their cars apart quite a bit. Their experiences have saved me time and money. I'd say spend the money wisely this time and do it and be done with it for good.

If you Fail to plan, then you plan to Fail!
I'll forever bleed Ford Blue

Drae
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draetech09 View Post
I'll do you one better. I found these to install with my H&R springs. Free shipping too!
Spring Isolators Springs Suspension 2003-2004 Ford SVT Cobra
No reason not to buy these, unless out of stock, because they are cheaper than the price of the other ones alone with (Free Shipping)! So you win all the way around.
You would still have to buy 2 kits..There is 2 different pairs of insulators in that kit..Only one of which we can use on our cars..

The 99-04 (IRS) Mustang Cobra uses the same lower rear insulator as the MN12..

The 99-04 (IRS) Mustang Cobra uses a different upper rear insulator than the ones used on the MN12..

The MN12 uses the same insulators on the top, and the bottom of the rear coil spring..

You can see the difference in these pictures between the upper rear spring perch used on the Cobra vs the MN12..
Cobra (IRS) Rear Spring Perch.JPG
MN12 Rear Spring Perch.JPG

IMO..If Ford would have thought the upper rear spring insulator used on the MN12 would have been suitable for the Cobra they would have used it..

Instead they used a Mustang specific upper rear spring insulator based on the shape of the upper rear spring perch used on the Cobra..

IMO..Our cars would be better suited to use only the lower rear insulator offered for the 99-04 (IRS) Mustang Cobra..

Since our cars do not share the same upper rear spring perches..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 08-07-2017 at 02:42 AM. Reason: update pics..
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Matt, all the isolators do is reduce noise and vibration. I don't think Ford relied on them to keep the car on the road. I think many would agree with me and I'm sorry to disappoint you. I know up front the springs seat at a special rotation and the isolators/mounts have that special rotation formed into them. I have new front strut mounts and front isolators in hand to look at.

Dratech09, thanks for the link. Those look a lot thinner than the original spring cups linked at SCP Performance for $80. I'm also seeing that the upper part looks to have different hole diameter from varying parts examples. I'm buying for new Vogtland 0.9" progressive springs and I guess I will wait until I have them to see how narrow they spiral down to at the top. If the hole in the isolator is too big for my progressive springs they won't provide $5 worth of isolation.

Thanks for the photos Rayo. How will the progressive Vogtlands work with the upper perch? I don't see what holds the spring in place. I need to look again at the SCP part and Vogtland springs.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 04-15-2015 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Merge posts
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 02:43 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
They work great. I've had them on my car for years.

and installed:

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Oh ok I guess I will only use the lowers as I'm not buying another kit. Thanks for the heads up Rayo. And you're welcome Gordonm1.

If you Fail to plan, then you plan to Fail!
I'll forever bleed Ford Blue

Drae
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Matt, all the isolators do is reduce noise and vibration. I don't think Ford relied on them to keep the car on the road. I think many would agree with me and I'm sorry to disappoint you. I know up front the springs seat at a special rotation and the isolators/mounts have that special rotation formed into them. I have new front strut mounts and front isolators in hand to look at.
Gordon, no, they're there to seat the spring uniformly in the flat perches. The reason the fronts need to be clocked a certain way is the same reason the rears need those molded rubber/poly isolators. The fronts have stamped perches on the shock (not strut) to match the bottom coil position and distribute the full spring load evenly across a full coil, the rears are totally flat.

Also I'm not disappointed as I really don't care if a bunch of armchair engineer Mustang owners endorse this idea. The isolators are made out of rubber for NVH reasons but their design is pure function.

-Matt
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Rayo would your link require two spring kits be purchased per spring wasting some parts?

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:45 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Rayo would your link require two spring kits be purchased per spring wasting some parts?
Each kit comes with a pair of the correct insulators..There would be no wasted parts..

Buy 2 kits, and be done with it..

You're not going to find a better deal anywhere..

Rayo..

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Order placed at Rayo's spot. Thanks Rayo and I don't doubt you can save money with cheaper methods doing it yourself.

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:29 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Order placed at Rayo's spot. Thanks Rayo and I don't doubt you can save money with cheaper methods doing it yourself.
You're welcome.

He got the Laurel Mountain recommendation from me from as far back as 2008 (and I got it from the Carolina Crew Chief RobertP)

Not a bad increase from $16 to 19.95 in seven years time ...

Here's the original post, from a month before Rayo joined, with the 2008 prices. The links have obviously changed but the reference is the same and SCP is still higher!

Quote:
Huh? That's funny the link worked this morning when I added it.

Anyway, here's the cashed page without pictures.

Save your money and get your rear spring isolators from Laurel Mountain mustang. They are about $16 a pair at Laural Mountain. Get two pairs for $32 from Laural.

Bill at SCP is charging $70 a set. That's insane!

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 04-14-2015 at 10:56 PM.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:57 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Np..

Yeah..I didn't mean to come across like I was the first person to discover these things..

I tend to read through a lot of old posts to get information vs starting a bazillion new threads to ask a question..

Anyways..I'm glad the links I provided helped you out Gordon..

Rayo..

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I got the rears on today. Now to the Tokiko fronts and springs. Alignment scheduled for Wednesday.

FYI, my stock 25 yo isolators looked like they would have worked fine for the new springs. I'd consider this a potential cost saving part to reuse for those on a budget. Can't wait to find out if the springs and shocks work together.

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I got the fronts installed today but there was Big Hammer damage everywhere. The Chilton manual directed me to remove the ball joints at the top and bottom of the spindle. I bought a joint fork at autozone and using with a hammer it tore up the rubber seals on the ball joints and a few missed swings deformed the sheet metal just behind the brake rotor left front. There was some rubbing noise left front on my test drive to some schishcabob barbecue so I will be back looking at the left front after work tomorrow.
The new parts seem to sit even in the driveway but I have not done enough driving to comment on final fit/performance.
Now I'm really overdue for control arms and the sway bar end link up front.

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:51 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Chilton's is a garbage manual, I've never used a fork to pull any of the joints on these cars, nor would I even if I were desperate. The joints are tapered, so if you smack the side of the spindle with a hammer it will effectively squeeze the joint downward, therefore loosening it.

-Matt
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

You're a bit late to offer friendly advice.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Should have asked or searched earlier then

-Matt
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Is poly the only choice for new spring isolators on our MN12 Thunderbirds/Cougars? I know the OE rubber ones aren't available from Ford anymore, but is there another source for new rubber ones?

I'm going to be completely rebuilding my entire rear suspension (except for the Vogtland springs I installed in 2009) in another month or so (just waiting until I fix a couple more urgent issues, like replacing my starter for the THIRD time in the last six weeks, and until I get the last few parts I need for the rear), and I don't have a problem using poly isolators - I'm just concerned about any increase in ride height they may cause. I don't want the rear to look like it's sitting higher than the front!

How much of an increase in ride height will two (top/bottom) cause? FYI - the current stock Ford rubber isolators were installed new in 2009, along with the Vogtland springs, but I still want to replace them when I do my rear suspension, regardless of their condition.

Does anyone make poly spring seats for our front springs?

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in