Cobra KYB's - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Cobra KYB's

Here at Advance auto if you look up an 03 cobra rear shocks it show the Bilstiens of course for $140 a piece but now we have an optional KYB heavy duty shock for that same car. Do you think since it pulls those shocks up along with the Bilstiens that they are as stiff as the Bilstiens. Could be a nice option since they are 83 a piece vs the 140 a piece ones.

Eibach pro kit springs w/rear cobra bilstiens, rear disc conversion, 2000 Cobra R wheels, 89 SC track-lock swap w/mark 8 cv shafts, 89 front and rear sway bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I'd cross check to make sure the KYBs you're looking aren't the same part numbers as non-Cobra Mustangs or at least the 99 and 01 Cobras. Aftermarket replacement parts tend to be tuned universal and I seriously doubt they're as good as Bilsteins in general.

-Matt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
No, most likely not. KYBs are a service grade part, which means they are meant to function and keep the car on the road, not necessarily maintain optimum handling as the factory designed. That being said, having personally run the 03 Cobra Bilstein rear shocks, I think they are way too stiff for a daily driver anyway. I ran them on my MarkVIII for a few weeks and pulled them off to replace them with Tokico Blues, and put the Bilsteins on the lemons racer.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
Yeah, I had the Cobra 'vert Bilstiens on my '92 for a while, and they while better than the old shocks I had, they were definitely not made for our cars.

When I swapped in Konis, I recall losing around a half inch of ride height without changing springs.

math > pasta
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Yeah youre most likely right. I have rear vert bilstiens on my new bird with half a coil cut off the bottom and its a nice firm ride which keeps the wheel well off my 275's. One of the studs on the one bilstien is a little stripped and wont let the nut tighten down all the way is why I was thinkin of replacing them. They are 40k mile take-offs.

Eibach pro kit springs w/rear cobra bilstiens, rear disc conversion, 2000 Cobra R wheels, 89 SC track-lock swap w/mark 8 cv shafts, 89 front and rear sway bars
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 06:56 PM
4th Gear Poster

I think the part number you are finding is for the solid rear axle stangs. A lot of places have them listed incorrectly. I ran into the same thing when I was looking for rear shocks. From my searching it seems KYB never made a shock for the IRS Cobra.

To make it more confusing if you compare the SRA and IRS rear mustang shocks they have the same dimensions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in