power steering leak - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

power steering leak

I drove my car for 70K with a warped brake rotor. I now have a leak at the boot that is over the inner tie rod end. Would replacing the inner tie rod fix the leak? I've replaced outer tie rod ends and control arms already.

I did see Rockauto has a power steering rack kit for about 30 dollars. Would I need a seal from this kit? and is it a difficult job?

I'm not ready to attempt replacing the rack until I learn how hard this leak is to fix.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 06:45 PM
̇

Garage
If you find any fluid in the Rack & Pinion boots..The seals need to be replaced inside the rack..

Which requires removal of the rack,disassembly of the rack, and a bunch of specialty tools you don't own..

$30 in parts..$500 in speciality tools..

Just buy another Rack & Pinion..I haven't heard anything bad about the racks from Rack Doctor..Might be worth trying..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I read you need to support the engine from above to replace the rack and pinion and the stock engine brackets didn't work with the shorty exhaust.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:04 PM
̇

Garage
They do make an "Engine Support Fixture" you could use for this type of job..

A lot of guys just support the engine with an engine hoist though..

Your engine has lift brackets on both sides unless someone removed them..So I don't see what the problem would be there..

Worst case scenario if someone did remove your lift brackets is to remove the upper intake, and use the lower intake bolt holes to support the engine..

More than one way to skin a cat..

Harbor Freight even sells an Engine Support Bar-->>Engine Support Bar

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I actually use that exact harbor freight support bar at work when I drop transmissions out of Ford transit connects, which is at least once a week due to my companies poor choice of slot route fleet vehicles.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:52 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I think that looks useful lol. I've seen these before but didn't know HF had them.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

So nobody's going to come in here and say otherwise or that there's a "stop leak" in a bottle that works?

Rats.

I read a guy say "never again on jack stands" about changing out the rack and pinion.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 11:34 PM
Kind of slapped together

Aw, it wasn't that hard. Biggest problem was getting the rack/hose junctions in place. And THAT was more because of the front cross member than anything!

Suggestion: While the rack is out, do your motor mounts. It was a LOT easier with the rack out IME.

RwP

Fuelly
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
So nobody's going to come in here and say otherwise or that there's a "stop leak" in a bottle that works?

Rats.

I read a guy say "never again on jack stands" about changing out the rack and pinion.
I'm in that club but had I lifted the engine higher I'm sure I would've been able to get it done more than halfway. It was funny you could either try the mounting bolts first and not have the lines screw in or you can have the lines screwed in but then the mounting bolts wouldn't line up. It's just awkward doing that kind of work with very little room to work in and had the car been on a lift then it wouldn't have been so back breaking.

I wish I would've thought about the motor mounts when I was under there.

You know my rack had never leaked but one day it was obviously bad when the toes were both sticking out so bad it looked as if the car was tired and wanted to lie down, lol. The car was still drive able and it still steered well enough but it was clunky.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

A few 4"x4" will also do the job of that support bar for a fraction of the cost. The last SC oil pan I changed that is what I did, but I used 1/4" aircraft cable (two cables with at least 2000 lbs rating each).

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I'm trying to apply some logic here that a engine hoist might work with jack stands and the engine support brackets are a must for lifts that are just two wheel tracks.
So if its four hours labor plus alignment it may be $500 for the labor to install this plus tie rod ends and fluid?
My mechanic said you can find used lifts for $1500. Pour a slab and bolt it to the slab?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
I'm trying to apply some logic here that a engine hoist might work with jack stands and the engine support brackets are a must for lifts that are just two wheel tracks.
So if its four hours labor plus alignment it may be $500 for the labor to install this plus tie rod ends and fluid?
My mechanic said you can find used lifts for $1500. Pour a slab and bolt it to the slab?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-000-LB-L-2...G/371376466859

$1580 delivered to your local freight terminal

http://www.asedeals.com/store/dannma...r-lift-maxjax/
Portable kit. Once you have the towers, you can set it up and wheel it away when not needed.
Only 8' lift needed

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I'd love to be able to stand and work under the car. I like the higher lifting cheaper model. I would need to pour a flat slab and choose carport or outside detached garage. Either way I'd get a lot of lift but exposure to the elements. I have been thinking about closing in the carport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in