Can someone help me with this steering rack issue? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Can someone help me with this steering rack issue?

So I was replacing the high pressure hose and when I finished I went to start my car to run some power steering fluid through the system and I developed a huge leak, I did some investigation and I found that the elbow fitting on the rack isn't fit into the bolt properly.

Picture:
http://imgur.com/vHdOQWW

Is there anyway to fix that without having to remove the steering rack from the car? Or will I have to?

MORE PICTURES:
http://i.imgur.com/LT4lutc.png (From the top)

http://i.imgur.com/NLl8dSq.png (From the bottom, you can see the leak)

Last edited by Ethan_Agan; 08-27-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Kind of slapped together

Well, it's a lot easier if you are nimble fingered and use stubby wrenches.

I can't even put the hose on that fitting with the rack out and get it in ...

At your age, I can't quite recommend new profanities to use *grins* (That'd get me in trouble!), but that fitting is NOT designed for mortal humans to manipulate.

If it's leaking, especially at THAT angle, you might need to replace the elbow. I did on my Cougar, because that aluminum gets friable with age and cracks and breaks easily. Boo, hiss!

Suggestion? If you DO pull the rack, grab a set of motor mounts for your 5.0HO and swap them in. That's a LOT easier with the rack out for a fat fingered Big Boy like me

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Well, it's a lot easier if you are nimble fingered and use stubby wrenches.

I can't even put the hose on that fitting with the rack out and get it in ...

At your age, I can't quite recommend new profanities to use *grins* (That'd get me in trouble!), but that fitting is NOT designed for mortal humans to manipulate.

If it's leaking, especially at THAT angle, you might need to replace the elbow. I did on my Cougar, because that aluminum gets friable with age and cracks and breaks easily. Boo, hiss!

Suggestion? If you DO pull the rack, grab a set of motor mounts for your 5.0HO and swap them in. That's a LOT easier with the rack out for a fat fingered Big Boy like me

RwP
How difficult is removing the rack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:51 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan_Agan View Post
It's a 20 min job with the engine out. That's how I just did mine.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 AM
PostWhore

Did you look at it while the car was running to make sure it was coming from the rack side or hose side?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Except for the hoses, it's not a big deal. I've done easier - I've seen HARDER *grins*

The biggest pain is the hoses, since for some weird reason Ford's engineers couldn't be arsed to design a front cross member that didn't go right through where the R&P unit had to go ...

I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a new elbow. RockAuto lists three suppliers http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7320 but I'd bet they're all the same (Don't know, for something that critical I'd spend the bucks for a ACDelco myself.)

If yours has the EVO valve, I'd also check the forum postings and pick up all new seals from Ford.

RwP

Fuelly
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Except for the hoses, it's not a big deal. I've done easier - I've seen HARDER *grins*

The biggest pain is the hoses, since for some weird reason Ford's engineers couldn't be arsed to design a front cross member that didn't go right through where the R&P unit had to go ...

I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a new elbow. RockAuto lists three suppliers http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7320 but I'd bet they're all the same (Don't know, for something that critical I'd spend the bucks for a ACDelco myself.)

If yours has the EVO valve, I'd also check the forum postings and pick up all new seals from Ford.

RwP
I have been trying to fiddle with it for a while, but I finally got tired of seeing my poor baby on jack-stands so I put the tires back on lol maybe ill give it another go this weekend. I swear I have the worst luck when it comes to my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
Did you look at it while the car was running to make sure it was coming from the rack side or hose side?
Definitely coming from the rack side.

To be honest I thought about trying to use PVC cement hahahahaha I have a bad habit of trying to jury rig stuff...

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 08-27-2015 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Merged posts
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
To be honest I thought about trying to use PVC cement hahahahaha I have a bad habit of trying to jury rig stuff...
Don't! Just .... Don't.

NOTHING that is safety critical should EVER be jury rigged. NEVER.

RwP

Fuelly
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Don't! Just .... Don't.

NOTHING that is safety critical should EVER be jury rigged. NEVER.

RwP
Yeah I totally understand
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
I have been trying to fiddle with it for a while, but I finally got tired of seeing my poor baby on jack-stands so I put the tires back on lol maybe ill give it another go this weekend. I swear I have the worst luck when it comes to my car.

Definitely coming from the rack side.

Pipe dope would work better, I prefer the yellow number 5 soft set over the teflon infused stuff. No seriously, replace the elbow and teflon O ring with new parts .. yours is bent, if it wasnt leaking before, you caused it when you replaced the high pressure hose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in