Question about new Motorcraft rear shocks - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Question about new Motorcraft rear shocks

So hearing an occasional knock noise from the right rear while driving led me to find severe leaking from the right rear shock. Ordered new Motorcraft shocks from rockauto. 95 LX. ASHV1014 / 5U2Z18V125VG. Top shaft on the new shock is thinner than the top shaft on the old, 12 mm w/ 18 mm wrench nut on the old as compared to 10 mm w/ 16 mm wrench nut on the new. I didn't expect this. Anybody else experience this with new rear shocks? Wrong shock or does Motorcraft just make them cheaper now?

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:47 PM
̇

Garage
Honestly, I'd be surprised if the threaded part of the shaft on the newer shocks is any different than the old ones..

It probably just uses a smaller nut is all..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 06:42 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
If it's any help my new monroes came with a diffent size nut and washer them the OEM Sport rear shocks. They fit just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Yes, that is helpful, thanks. I suspect I'll use the new shocks and they will be fine.

I am as surprised as anyone that the threaded part of the replacement shock is smaller than the original equipment. What makes it even more fun, is the pitch on the thread of the bolt included with the new hardware is 3/8-16 whereas the thread on the new shock is M10-1.50.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:35 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3inVirginia View Post
Yes, that is helpful, thanks. I suspect I'll use the new shocks and they will be fine.

I am as surprised as anyone that the threaded part of the replacement shock is smaller than the original equipment. What makes it even more fun, is the pitch on the thread of the bolt included with the new hardware is 3/8-16 whereas the thread on the new shock is M10-1.50.
Well that doesn't sound right at all! My nuts matched the thread on the shocks. As I recall the OEM upper shock bolt was a a relatively large threaded nut with either a formed washer or a captive washer and possibly a rubber bushing bonded to the bottom. The new nut was smaller in diameter but at least matched the threads on the shock itself. And used upper and lower mounting bushings with large heavy washers. In other words a a slightly different mounting design but it it worked just fine. My guess would be that the Sensatrac shock fits more than just the MN12 hence the hardware is different. Whereas the OEM Sport Shock was obviously designed for the MN12.

I think I'd double check the application listing and make sure you got the right shocks for the car. And make a trip to someplace like Home Depot or the auto parts store for nuts that match the threads in the shocks.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

The shocks are stamped 20965, which through an internet search gives me the impression that it is the right application for 95 T-bird. Looks like a Monroe shock with a Motorcraft label. Top doesn't have a hex head but instead designed to take an open end 6 mm wrench. Rockauto only sent me one set of hardware, at my complaint they said Monroe will send the second set directly. If when I see it it doesn't cause me any more questions then I'll install a shock and try it out.

Thanks for all the feedback.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:38 AM
̇

Garage
What color are the shocks?

Would you mind snapping a couple pics of them?

The reason I ask is because I've ordered Motorcraft brand shocks through RockAuto before, and I had to send them back twice..

Apparently, One of RockAuto's suppliers is repackaging shocks..

When I received the shocks from RockAuto's Texas supplier..The box was an old Motorcraft box..

The actual shocks inside the box were Monroe shocks though..

I knew that by the distinctive navy blue color, and the way they were labeled..

The sad part is..

I'm sure people that ordered those shocks from RockAuto that didn't know any better thought they actual got Motorcraft shocks..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I think you're right. I'll grab a couple pictures.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Looks to me like black rather than blue. But they're stamped as if they are Monroe. One box was glued, the other (the one w/o the hardware) taped. Rubber cushions look different from the original ones but I have not taken the original shocks off yet to see how they look uncompressed. Top mouning head is not hex like the original.

Is there a different OEM shock that I should be using?
Thanks.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:11 PM
̇

Garage
Well as a matter of fact it is a Monroe shock.. Well sorta, Let me explain..

Here's a little history for you..

In the late 70's Tenneco purchased the Monroe Auto Equipment Company..Obviously Monroe had a well established name by then..

So Tenneco would continue to use the Monroe name $$$$..

Anyways, Tenneco has been a supplier to the Ford Motor Company for shocks for many years..

This of course is the same facility that makes the Monroe shocks..

So in order to cut costs the actual shock bodies are the same between the Motorcraft, and the Monroe shocks..

There are "supposed to be" higher quality standards for the Motorcraft shocks than the Monroe's..

I have my doubts though..

You can already see the "20965" stamped on the shock body..

I'd be willing to bet if you tried a pair of the Monroe part#20965 or (updated) part#33134

Then you tried a pair of the Motorcraft part #ASHV1014 / 5U2Z18V125VG..

You wouldn't notice a difference in the ride quality between the two..

The differences I can physically see is a higher price tag, a different color, and a sticker..

I should point out that not all of Ford's shocks were supplied by Tenneco..

In fact all of the Thunderbird Sport shocks, SC shocks, and Lincoln Mark VIII shocks were supplied by Tokico..Much better quality IMO..

You know what, the closer I look at that picture..
The more I realize the threads on those shocks have been gummed up with powdercoat/paint..

I would try running a 3/8-16 die on the threads..Maybe even wire wheel the threads before you do that..

Rayo..

Last edited by Rayo; 10-27-2015 at 01:17 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

The 3/8-16 and the M10-1.50 are close, the metric nut turns cleanly and easily the whole length of the shock threads, the 3/8-16 goes around once then binds. Roughly the difference is 16 threads per inch vs. 17 tpi on the metric. I'm going to have to go with the metric nut.

Thanks for all the info. I prefer Motorcraft, but in this case I guess I can only get Monroecraft.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 12:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Looks almost like my Monroe Sensa-Trac
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 06:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg1988 View Post
Looks almost like my Monroe Sensa-Trac
I was thinking the same thing. The Monroe part numbers different. I have to swap wheels tomorrow. If I remember I'm going to see how the body of the shocks stamped.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:32 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
I went with sensa tracs in the rear, quick struts up front. Also, at least it is a quality part, just not what you paid for. I'd send it back and just get the sensa-trac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in