Tie-rod Ends - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 96beaterbird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Tie-rod Ends

1996 Thunderbird, 214000 miles

During today's alignment check, the technician was unable to adjust the toe on account of the R side tie-rod. The nut wouldn't budge, not even with persuasion from a torch. I'm going to just go ahead and replace all of these old tie-rods, both inners and outers. They're the only suspension parts I haven't touched on the front end.

I've grown fond of Raybestos' suspension parts, particularly their "pro grade/advanced technology/whatever they're calling them now". But supposedly my local parts store has stopped carrying them, and now offers Moog Problem Solver instead. I'm not familiar with Moog's current offerings. How is their "Problem Solver" line of products?

I know we like to recommend Motorcraft parts around here, and I'm all for that, too. I tried looking up tie-rods on RockAuto, but I'm seeing two different Motorcraft inners. There's the MEOE36/F6SZ3280BA, and the MES3105/F6SZ3V280BA. Anyone know the difference between them?

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:17 PM
4th Gear Poster

I used MES3105/F6SZ3V280BA when I recently did my inner tie rods.

I believe the MEOE36/F6SZ3280BA are the pinless design so you'll use thread locker.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 PM
4th Gear Poster

Not sure if they're still available, but about 6 months ago I bought TRW (OE supplier) outer tie rod ends from rockauto for about $10 a piece.

They were on closeout, so they might be gone, but it's worth looking into.

Moog's reputation has come into question a lot recently. Especially with their 'r-series' lineup.

FWIW, a friend of mine runs an alignment shop and is still happy with Moog Problem Solver (i.e. low comebacks and good warranty).

I've actually had good luck with Mevotech, and since the warehouse is pretty close to me, parts availability and pricing are great. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by 96beaterbird; 11-29-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:24 PM
4th Gear Poster

TRW outer are on clearance for $5.14 each from rockauto. Get those well they last, I have heard they are OEM quality. I just last week replaced the inner and outer on both sides of my tbird. The TRWs outer and Moog for inner.

The inners seemd fine on mine at 100k miles, but thought I might as well do them all since I was in there. It wasn't a bad job, much easier than other cars I've done.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

The price is attractive, but it makes me a little nervous too. I make a point of avoiding "economy"-rated parts. But if they really are OEM-quality, you can't go wrong with that. I see Moog's Problem Solver outers (in the "daily driver"-rated section) are also on closeout for nearly the same price.

I was fully prepared to spend on Motorcraft parts, but I wouldn't mind saving some cash. The quality of the part is much more important to me.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 PM
4th Gear Poster

I can understand what your saying... I don't mind spending more for a quality product, but I can't pass up a good deal either. Just FYI, the TRW outer tie rod ends I got were quite NOS. They came in an older looking yet good condition box and have "made in the USA" on them. I ordered another set a few days ago just to have, in case my Cougar needs them someday. I'll check if they are the same USA ones when I get them.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:45 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
I can understand what your saying... I don't mind spending more for a quality product, but I can't pass up a good deal either. Just FYI, the TRW outer tie rod ends I got were quite NOS. They came in an older looking yet good condition box and have "made in the USA" on them. I ordered another set a few days ago just to have, in case my Cougar needs them someday. I'll check if they are the same USA ones when I get them.
+1 My TRW tie rod ends and sway bar endlinks were both Made in USA and appeared to be high quality and identical to the originals.

I think Rockauto just put them in the wrong category. TRW parts are anything but economy grade.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:59 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96beaterbird View Post
I think Rockauto just put them in the wrong category. TRW parts are anything but economy grade.
Probably because of the price. I treated myself to couple!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I've ordered the Motorcraft MES3105/F6SZ3V280BA inners, and the TRW ES3004 outers. Unfortunately, they're shipping from different locations, but that's really nothing to grouse about, considering the great deal on the TRWs!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:15 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
The beefiest suspension stuff for our cars these days are the AC Delco parts, strangely enough.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:35 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
I've ordered the Motorcraft MES3105/F6SZ3V280BA inners, and the TRW ES3004 outers. Unfortunately, they're shipping from different locations, but that's really nothing to grouse about, considering the great deal on the TRWs!
Rock Auto always does that, it's how they pad their shipping numbers.
Still usually cheaper than buying locally, but it irritates me.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Rock Auto always does that, it's how they pad their shipping numbers.
Still usually cheaper than buying locally, but it irritates me.
Well to be fair to Rockauto, if you spend like 4 hours configuring your cart multiple times with different parts combos, you'll eventually find everything from the same location
Woodman likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yea, but who wants to spend multiple hours configuring their cart when you only need like 3 parts?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 AM
4th Gear Poster

I was being sarcastic...hence the wink...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in