My Second Mod: Suspension Rebuild - Page 6 - TCCoA Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan View Post
The procedure for the Bilsteins is exactly the same. If you could do the Konis then you could also do the Bilsteins.
I understand that.

My problem is with the strut mounts. I had to get those spherical bearings for them.

Though, the Konis (8610 1437RACE) are appearing to be more difficult because they don't have a stud or thread at the bottom of the insert to secure them to the bottom of the sacrificial OEM strut body. Unless we've decided to go with those Konis for the Porsche now, 8611-1257 instead? The other new thing with the Koni units vs the Bilsteins is that the piston diameter is likely different and thus, the spherical bearings are now going to be different. These are the things that I cannot work out myself.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
I understand that.

My problem is with the strut mounts. I had to get those spherical bearings for them.

Though, the Konis (8610 1437RACE) are appearing to be more difficult because they don't have a stud or thread at the bottom of the insert to secure them to the bottom of the sacrificial OEM strut body. Unless we've decided to go with those Konis for the Porsche now, 8611-1257 instead? The other new thing with the Koni units vs the Bilsteins is that the piston diameter is likely different and thus, the spherical bearings are now going to be different. These are the things that I cannot work out myself.
Hang in there. We'll figure it out. Again, let's wait for the Bilsteins since they are a known quantity.
Grog6 and CDsDontBurn like this.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #153 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:21 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I was really pointing up options just in case the Bilsteins are actually disco.

If they make some more this spring, that's great.

If not, we at least saw pix of what's going to be required to use something else.

I can't believe Koni sells 50 sets of Porsche 944 shocks a year, tho.

Maybe there's that many track cars, idk.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I was really pointing up options just in case the Bilsteins are actually disco.

If they make some more this spring, that's great.

If not, we at least saw pix of what's going to be required to use something else.

I can't believe Koni sells 50 sets of Porsche 944 shocks a year, tho.

Maybe there's that many track cars, idk.
FWIW, I think the lemons community has done their part to empty out the inventory of the bottom feeder 944s on the west coast.

Those things are pretty glorious to see when the run but seem to die.. a lot.
The most practical example was a team who decided that they had enough of the engine/transaxle drama and said fuck it, we'll just drop in a Chevy 350 in. Glorious.

As far as this project is concerned, I'd suggest that CDsdontburn read the thread in which I compiled all the front suspension options again.

1) You don't need the monoball bearings in the top. That was a bit of silliness I went along with because if it's good enough for a Porsche GT3, there's no reason our tbird can't have them too. a tube and a washer (MaddMartigan's first design) will work just fine. The key is that you just need a hole at the top to fit the larger bilstein/koni shaft.

2) As far as the QA1 setup is concerned, the springs are cheap if you want to experiment. Like $30-60/pair cheap. As far as bumpstops are concerned, they are just rubber. IIRC. the Bilsteins have internal bumpstops. If you don't trust them and don't want to spend $14, you could make them out of any hard rubber. My engine mounts used to be hockey pucks. If you know someone who's kid is into hockey, you can always get these for free. a bumpstop is a hockey puck trimmed down to a smaller diameter + a bigger hole in the center.

2.5) As far as replicating the QA1 setup is concerned, I'm all for the experimentation. For the flanges on the bottom though you really do need three pieces of metal welded together vs just a flat sheet bent into a U. One thought is to cut down the donor shock so much that you just have the bottom flange + a small tube on top. A setup like this would drop into the small tube and you'd bolt it to the sides. I personally would find this a little sketchy but it's very similar to what tbirdtess did with a Bilstein circle track shock years ago.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/q...8500/overview/

3) Getting the bilsteins lathed down is really no big deal even if you don't have a lathe. I dont. The key is to find a classic machine shop (not one full of CNC machines but the kind that's kinda dirty with some old dude), show up with the donor shock cut down with the bottom hole already drilled out in one hand + the bilsteins in your backpack and a six pack of beer in the other. Measurements? We don't need measurements. "Excuse me, sir. I want THIS to fit in THAT. Are you thirsty?"

Boom. The person puts the new shocks in the lathe and just start shaving it down. Cry a little as the pretty yellow outside goes away. 5 min later, you drink a beer and maybe give him/her a few more bucks. It helps if its like the late afternoon on a Fri.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Last edited by S4gunn; 11-21-2018 at 01:41 PM.
post #155 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Here's one more solution for those with more money than patience.
https://www.truechoicekoniracingserv...-touring-strut

NOTE: We will adapt an 8611 to your strut housing — Quoted price based on application. Please call for Details.

I can guarantee that the QA1 option will be cheaper.
Trunk Monkey likes this.

post #156 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Sent Bilstein another email about any possibility of the 3000GT inserts being pushed back further. They said it's possible.

Quote:
[email protected]
9:20 AM (10 minutes ago)
to me

Hello Jonathan,

This is just an estimated time of arrival. There can be a possibility that the dates will change.

Thank you,

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Bryant Vuong
I also sent Koni another email asking them if they make inserts for the Mitsubishi 3000GT, they don't.

Quote:
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 5:49 AM info.koni.us, wrote:

Jonathan,

The 8611 1257race is a double adjustable strut cartridge just like the 8610 1437race, but much shorter. It is not a cut-a-strut and does not have the threads at the bottom. Also, we do not offer an application for the 3000GT. We have researched this in years past, and unfortunately we do not have a good off the shelf cut-a-strut option for the Thunderbird. The best options are to either find a used set of the Thunderbird specific dampers and have the serviced/rebuilt or use the 8610 1437race in a custom housing.
I asked about the 3000GT because, well, it's what we're trying to use from Bilstein so I thought it'd be good to ask if Koni had anything for that platform. I also asked about the 944 platform because it was brought up here. Instead, he already gave me information we already know that is related to the MN12 platform with Koni products when I was asking about information for other potential inserts to use for the MN12 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan View Post
Hang in there. We'll figure it out. Again, let's wait for the Bilsteins since they are a known quantity.
I'll hang. I've got some time to go anyway before the car is back up. I still need the transmission. That said, with the above emails, I'll hold on to my order with Summit for the Bilsteins until end of March....or until you are done with your build, whichever is first, lol. If Koni is the end resulting insert, then it looks like I'll end up going with the 8610-1437RACE units. Though, if there is another unit that grabs my attention from another manufacturer, I'll reach out to them and see if it will work.

So...KYB, Tien (they may have something for the 3000GT since they do more stuff for imports), and...? Any others that have an aftermarket support presence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
As far as this project is concerned, I'd suggest that CDsdontburn read the thread in which I compiled all the front suspension options again.

1) You don't need the monoball bearings in the top. That was a bit of silliness I went along with because if it's good enough for a Porsche GT3, there's no reason our tbird can't have them too. a tube and a washer (MaddMartigan's first design) will work just fine. The key is that you just need a hole at the top to fit the larger bilstein/koni shaft.
I did go through your thread again, and based on what low key "generic" struts for your racing you used, I want to use the same ones based on your feedback on them. I saw other Koni PNs you put in there as well and I'll also consider them if Bilsteins are in fact no-more.

Quote:
2) As far as the QA1 setup is concerned, the springs are cheap if you want to experiment. Like $30-60/pair cheap. As far as bumpstops are concerned, they are just rubber. IIRC. the Bilsteins have internal bumpstops. If you don't trust them and don't want to spend $14, you could make them out of any hard rubber. My engine mounts used to be hockey pucks. If you know someone who's kid is into hockey, you can always get these for free. a bumpstop is a hockey puck trimmed down to a smaller diameter + a bigger hole in the center.
If the Bilsteins state they don't need bumpstops, I won't get them. If they need them and don't come with them, I'll get them separately. I'm not going to cry over $14.

Only people I know who are into hockey, is my wife's dad and his family. They're in Buffalo, NY area though. Not very convenient for me...

Quote:
2.5) As far as replicating the QA1 setup is concerned, I'm all for the experimentation. For the flanges on the bottom though you really do need three pieces of metal welded together vs just a flat sheet bent into a U. One thought is to cut down the donor shock so much that you just have the bottom flange + a small tube on top. A setup like this would drop into the small tube and you'd bolt it to the sides. I personally would find this a little sketchy but it's very similar to what tbirdtess did with a Bilstein circle track shock years ago.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/q...8500/overview/
That is seriously a "fork" type design. I was actually thinking of drawing something up exactly like you said. The tube up top would then be secured to the strut via a nut and screw type. This is the fork that my 6th Gen Honda Accord uses. Of course, it wouldn't be looking exactly like that, but a similar type setup.

Quote:
3) Getting the bilsteins lathed down is really no big deal even if you don't have a lathe. I dont. The key is to find a classic machine shop (not one full of CNC machines but the kind that's kinda dirty with some old dude), show up with the donor shock cut down with the bottom hole already drilled out in one hand + the bilsteins in your backpack and a six pack of beer in the other. Measurements? We don't need measurements. "Excuse me, sir. I want THIS to fit in THAT. Are you thirsty?"

Boom. The person puts the new shocks in the lathe and just start shaving it down. Cry a little as the pretty yellow outside goes away. 5 min later, you drink a beer and maybe give him/her a few more bucks. It helps if its like the late afternoon on a Fri.
With me being Latino, I know shops. LOL. A 12 pack of Corona, Modelo, or Tecate and $20 later, it can be done.

Quote:
Here's one more solution for those with more money than patience.
https://www.truechoicekoniracingserv...-touring-strut

NOTE: We will adapt an 8611 to your strut housing — Quoted price based on application. Please call for Details.

I can guarantee that the QA1 option will be cheaper.
I have more patience than money, lol.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #157 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Garage
I can't see the vehicle specific BS they're pushing.

A 3800lb car is a 3800lb car, what exactly is different?

I am not a Mech E, but damn, weight, inertia, and travel is it.

Am I missing something?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #158 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

What's exactly different? Girth of the insert tube, length of the piston shaft (rod?), and travel of the piston are my guesses.

post #159 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Here's something I found this weekend.
http://info.bilsteinus.com/public_ac...ay%202018.xlsx

Filter "Suspension strut cartridge", B6 series (two checkboxes), 22.45" length (same as 3000GT which we know works),

Here's what I found.
34-050231 Suspension Strut Cartridge B6 Performance Nissan / Infiniti Nissan 240SX 1994-1989 Weight 4.96LB
34-003527 Suspension Strut Cartridge B6 Performance Toyota Toyota Celica 1993-1990 Weight 3.79LB
34-001370 Suspension Strut Cartridge B6 Performance Audi / Volkswagen Volkswagen Cabriolet 1993-1985, Jetta 1984-1980, Rabbit 1984-1975, Rabbit Convertible 1984-1980, Scirocco 1988-1975 Weight 4.63LB
34-050224 Suspension Strut Cartridge B6 Performance Eagle / Mitsubishi Mitsubishi 3000GT 1999-1991 Front Without Electronic Suspension MITSUBISHI 3000GT;F;B6 $243.10 C 651860649306 2.95 2.95 22.45 Weight 4.85

It seems like the 240SX strut is the most likely candidate for an alternative Bilstein strut 34-050231. Its similar weight so it should be similarly beefy
It's also a 36mm monotube insert (same as the Mistu 3000GT)
Ship date from Bilstein is in December (seems to be backordered with none in the US)

Only downside is that an S13 is 2700LB with 1485LB on the nose (55/45 weight distribution)
3000GT is 3800LB w/ ~2204LB on the nose (58/42 weight distribution)
V8 Tbird is 3700LB w/ 2183LB on the nose (59/41 weight distribution).

That is a pretty significant delta and explains why the 3000GT is probably the best fit from a dampener/valving standpoint.

Last edited by S4gunn; 11-26-2018 at 03:58 PM.
post #160 of 195 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Here's something I found this weekend.
http://info.bilsteinus.com/public_ac...ay%202018.xlsx

Filter "Suspension strut cartridge", B6 series (two checkboxes), 22.45" length (same as 3000GT which we know works),

Here's what I found.
34-050231 Suspension Strut Cartridge B6 Performance Nissan / Infiniti Nissan 240SX 1994-1989 Weight 4.96LB
34-003527 Suspension Strut Cartridge B6 Performance Toyota Toyota Celica 1993-1990 Weight 3.79LB
34-001370 Suspension Strut Cartridge B6 Performance Audi / Volkswagen Volkswagen Cabriolet 1993-1985, Jetta 1984-1980, Rabbit 1984-1975, Rabbit Convertible 1984-1980, Scirocco 1988-1975 Weight 4.63LB
34-050224 Suspension Strut Cartridge B6 Performance Eagle / Mitsubishi Mitsubishi 3000GT 1999-1991 Front Without Electronic Suspension MITSUBISHI 3000GT;F;B6 $243.10 C 651860649306 2.95 2.95 22.45 Weight 4.85

It seems like the 240SX strut is the most likely candidate for an alternative Bilstein strut 34-050231. Its similar weight so it should be similarly beefy
It's also a 36mm monotube insert (same as the Mistu 3000GT)
Ship date from Bilstein is in December (seems to be backordered with none in the US)

Only downside is that an S13 is 2700LB with 1485LB on the nose (55/45 weight distribution)
3000GT is 3800LB w/ ~2204LB on the nose (58/42 weight distribution)
V8 Tbird is 3700LB w/ 2183LB on the nose (59/41 weight distribution).

That is a pretty significant delta and explains why the 3000GT is probably the best fit from a dampener/valving standpoint.
The Koni part number for the 1989-1994 Nissan 240SX is "8641 1364Sport". It's a "Cut a Strut" and, based on what actual pictures I can find, a bolt through the bottom model. I can only assume that it has the same physical dimensions as the Bilsteins. However, like you said, it's for a much lighter car.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
M5R2
OMGHI2U

post #161 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Update:

I haven't contacted any other vendors or manufacturers since we left off on this. However, tonight I logged into my account with Summit to see if I can get some parts for my daily. Out of curiosity, I went to my order status to check on the order and now they've changed it to February 8, 2019! After that back and forth with Bilstein, I somewhat expected this to happen. But the fact that Summit is now in line with Bilstein makes me happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Order Delivery.JPG (18.3 KB, 2 views)
MaddMartigan and Trunk Monkey like this.

post #162 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:20 PM

Garage
Well, I'm happy to see this day getting closer; My Tokicos are making noise now.

I'm going to go out and crawl around tomorrow, and see if any are leaking.

I have a virgin set of sports ready to go on.

I bet Bilstein will be happy they mode "One More Set"; I'd say we have close to 10 orders here.

post #163 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

And that's just for us MN12 guys doing this Bilstein insert mod. I wonder how many GT3000 people are set on buying a set of these for their car?

I'm thinking of getting a second set of these Bilsteins specifically because of unobtanium.....

post #164 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
And that's just for us MN12 guys doing this Bilstein insert mod. I wonder how many GT3000 people are set on buying a set of these for their car?

I'm thinking of getting a second set of these Bilsteins specifically because of unobtanium.....
I really think I could make something else when needed. The whole QA1 thing from SuperCoupePerformance has inspired me.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
M5R2
OMGHI2U

post #165 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Poster

heavy fork idea

why not pop the lower bushing out and make a new lower mount. them lower cast forks from other cars are just adding weight to the car. With the different lower mount it can possibly open up better and newer shock avenues.
post #166 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGULATOR View Post
why not pop the lower bushing out and make a new lower mount. them lower cast forks from other cars are just adding weight to the car. With the different lower mount it can possibly open up better and newer shock avenues.
The problem with a fork idea (while great) is that it doesn't solve the part of where the spring would be installed to.

The insert idea is basically using the OEM strut to house the insert whilst the oem strut is still used for spring perch so the spring can still be supported.

post #167 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Poster

I see the OEM housing/new insert as a problem in itself if the inserts cant be found. I'm thinking that the idea of adapting a new assembly from a different and popular vehicle is more feasible.
post #168 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with you on that. If supply is unobtainium, then something else must be created for us enthusiasts. @MaddMartigan has already stated that he's got something in mind to attempt to bring about a resolution using a different adaptation inspired by the QA1 coilover setup.

post #169 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Poster

I'm thinking the 93-02 camaro/firebird with different mounts is a good possibility.
post #170 of 195 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:25 AM

Garage
Honestly, I can see building a configuration where a bottom mount is made to work like it currently does but it becomes the spring perch. The shock you could use is the kind that has the T shape on the end and allows it to bolt directly to that mount/perch. This configuration could also allow a stock style top mount.

The biggest problems with all of these ideas is the overall shock travel, the length of the assembly, etc. When you start from scratch on the design you have to start taking all kinds of measurements and start doing a lot of custom fabrication. That might be OK for me since I would be willing to do it one time for myself but I can't see doing it more than once. I'm not a professional by any stretch and I don't have professional tools. The benefits of taking the kind of route we've taken is that it reuses a lot of the stock parts and design so that you only have to worry about the damper and not everything else.

1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
M5R2
OMGHI2U

post #171 of 195 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

So February 8th came and went, and they pushed my ETA to March 6. It's not even March yet, and my order has been pushed back to April 1st .

post #172 of 195 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:56 PM

Garage
In addition to the like button, we need a "That Sucks!" button.

Ain't no way I'm likin' that!

post #173 of 195 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:45 PM

Garage
It's actually my fault. I need to finish my project before I start on his so I ask Bilstein to hold off on shipping this stuff.
Grog6 and CDsDontBurn like this.

1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
M5R2
OMGHI2U

post #174 of 195 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

lol

post #175 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

As been mentioned in the other thread that some of you are viewing / posting in, I've been waiting on my order now since late September. I haven't canceled the order "just in case".

I've also learned in that same thread that I have to get spring perches as I only have the rear isolators. Since I'll be replacing the stock rear LCAs with MK-VIII LCAs, I guess I need to find out what spring perches I need to get. @Grog6 said that aluminum pucks can be used in that same thread, but that a hole would need to be drilled so that a bolt can come through? I guess I would need to know how that setup works and I'll get it done. Or if someone can tell me what dimensions I need exactly I could take that info down to a CNC shop local to me and have them made for me. The third option would be that someone point me in the direction of a ready to go solution for me. The thing that confuses me about the perches is that @Irv 's post above Grog's does not seem to be secured to the LCA. Is it possible for the perch to just "sit there" in the LCA cup?

In other news related to my suspension build, I managed to score a set of outer tie rods for cheap; ACDelco Pro series tie rods. RA had a clearance sale on them for $10.(and change)/ea whereas these are typically in the $22/ea range. For sub $30 shipped, I decided to get them.

Separately, I have another project going on for Pearl at the same time. The only limiting factor on having that project moving is money. Otherwise, I'd have everything for that project, be taking pictures and posting about it. Then, I'd just be waiting on these damned front struts to have the car back on the road, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Summit - Bilstein.jpg (122.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190415_214446.jpg (2.75 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190415_213800.jpg (2.31 MB, 1 views)

post #176 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
I will repost pix tomorrow, I'm going to have to work on my server; it apparently got upgraded and rebooted without my permission, which has everything all fucked up.

I've got a 15yo 20TB server holding 30 years worth of shit in RAID 5; it's finicky with modern win7. Worked way better with XP64, so I may downgrade. Silicon Image still rocks after all this time.

The pix WERE in my gallery, which apparently got deleted; TM and I have asked WTF? and got no answer from the peeps that bought the place.

On that note, Thanks, Sir Will! Nothing but Love, Motherfucker!! Imagine the universal "You're #1 in my book!" hand signal that goes with that.
(We tried to buy it, but got fucked.)

Anyway; I bought 3" thick 3" diameter aluminum pucks, and drilled 3/8" holes in them to lighten them more, drilled and threaded the center for a 5/8" bolt, and bolted them in.

(I'll loan the tap to well known members. I also have the tap for the additional temp sensor for PI intakes.)

I've had No issues whatsoever from those pucks.

Notes: They don't need to be 3" thick, they need to be slightly thicker than the poly insulators, tho, or they walk.

The Walking I can feel; especially when it settles back into position in a curve, doing illegal shit.

I would use at least 2" thick.

Note2: you will need to add washers to the Mark LCAs, with the poly, because you don't want them moving forward/backwards ~.25"

post #177 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:39 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Note2: you will need to add washers to the Mark LCAs, with the poly, because you don't want them moving forward/backwards ~.25"
Other possibility: Beat the crap out of a old toe compensator to get the spherical bushing out, use that for the spacer.

Even cheaper since you'll be pulling an old toe comp out.

Or just put a new toe comp in.

RwP

Fuelly
post #178 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Other possibility: Beat the crap out of a old toe compensator to get the spherical bushing out, use that for the spacer.

Even cheaper since you'll be pulling an old toe comp out.

Or just put a new toe comp in.

RwP
I used the Toe compensators; the rear end feels too loose without them, even with poly.

GM said he didn't use them, IIRC; but I definitely needed them, IMHO.

There's still a slight gap.

Also, I needed 16" wheels to clear; one side rubbed a bolt.

post #179 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I didn’t use them either, no play

-Matt
post #180 of 195 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
Are you using 15" wheels?

I thought the og wheels would work, but it rubs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in