How bad is a power steering pump replacement - TCCoA Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sik97bird
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By Rayo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
How bad is a power steering pump replacement

I either have a line leaking or a bad seal on my 1995 bird 4.6. I've got a junkyard unit with lines being pulled today. Anything tricky to it? Doesn't look too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
Pack a lunch

It not too bad the lines on the rack are a bit of a pain.. if your not removing the pulley from the pump it's pretty straight forward. But the pressure line tends to be a bit more time consuming with the pulley on top of it.
CDsDontBurn likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
will a normal power steering pump pulley removal kit do the job on the pulley? I've got one of those but if I can get it without removing the pulley I would probably try that first. I'm not sure where my leak is coming from since I have not had an extra set of eyes available for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
A normal power steering puller kit should do fine.. also don't forget you need to reinstall the pulley as well. But you should be fine. A line wrench crows foot works great in tight areas.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:34 AM
5th Gear Poster

I'm more a maintenance mechanic than a pro so with my 1992 5.0 I noted the base of the pump was wet so I replaced the pump and low pressure line. My pump did not come with a reservoir so I transferred over the old one. Avoiding breaking my reservoir was my main worry. I used a loaner tool from Autozone to pull the pulley.

I also paid to have the high pressure line replaced. I noticed my replacement lines said to replace them every two years (sheesh). My rack was also leaking so it ended up getting replaced too. The two year life of the lines says "do me first" to me. That could be all that is leaking on your system but I ended up replacing it all.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, I've got a pump and lines coming from the junkyard, hopefully I can figure it out without replacing it all. Can you replace the high pressure without pulling the pump?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Dealing with the pressure line is the most difficult part of removing the pump, the hardest part of it is accessing the 4th bolt that the line fitting obstructs.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Matt
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

OK so that answers my next question of can you remove the pump with the high pressure line attached.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:21 PM
PostWhore

I must highly suggest lifting the car as high as possible and probably lifting the engine a tad as well. When I tried replacing the rack I had the unfortunate issues of being able to mount the rack but not being able to attach the 4 lines or attaching the 4 lines and not being able to mount the rack. I didn't think to try lifting the engine a few inches which would probably have saved me from taking the car to a shop to finish the job. This time around I'm having the local community college do it for me for me, and all I have to do is supply the parts.

The rack I bought was from O'Reilly's and has a lifetime warranty but months after installing it I had an issue just like yours. After 3 years of suffering I'm about to finally get her done again. It's nice getting a workout because of having to use my entire upper body to park but my future girlfriend wouldn't be able to drive my car if I don't get it fixed. Then again having an excuse to not let her drive my car isn't bad either, lol!

-Randy-
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

feeling really dumb but i noticed very little oil under the car last night, checked the power steering level and it was right at the top of the line.....If I overfilled it before would it puke out the excess?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:15 PM
PostWhore

I don't think there is any way it could have unless it came from under the cap of the reservoir. If the leak is like mine the Teflon or nylon seal for the high pressure line could have begun to split.

-Randy-
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

gotcha thanks, i'm beginning to remember why I took a break from putting this thing back together a few years ago.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:19 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien
feeling really dumb but i noticed very little oil under the car last night, checked the power steering level and it was right at the top of the line.....If I overfilled it before would it puke out the excess?
With your power steering reservoir topped off, Either drive the car or let it idle for about a half hour (turning the wheels lock to lock)..

Then park it, and place a big piece of cardboard under the front of the car..
Make sure you use a piece of cardboard wide enough..So that it will reach the inner part of both tires under the car..

Also make sure it is deep enough that it reaches under the radiator as well as under the transmission pan..

This will help you pinpoint any leaks..The problem with it leaking on the ground is you can't really tell where the leak is coming from..

With low and high spots on the driveway the fluid will just puddle where the low spots are..

If fluid is actually puking(not boiling) out of the reservoir..It's more likely you have air in the power steering system..

Air could be getting sucked in through a bad hose/line that runs to the power steering pump..

I've seen where the motor mounts fail on the 4.6L cars, and it starts rubbing a hole in the power steering line under the engine..

You could also pull one of the bellows back on the inner tie rod, and see if there is fluid inside of it..Those are supposed to be dry on the inside

If you find fluid inside the bellows, more than likely air is getting in through the bad seals of the rack & pinion..

This will cause the PS fluid in the reservoir to bubble, and possibly puke out of the reservoir..

Rayo..
V8ThunderCat likes this.

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 03-15-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in