• 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By Woodman
  • 1 Post By bowez
  • 2 Post By bowez

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Pros and Cons of Lowering Spring Conversion

I had a hard time finding articles specifically addressing our cars. I know about the, it makes these cars look cool, aspect, the lower center of gravity effect on handling.

But what, if any, are the negatives? I know to watch out for curbs and such.

What is the best size spring for lowering?

Thanks for responding. Back in the 1950s I remember people were heating spring to lower cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Go Vogtland or Eibach. By size I guess you mean drop amount. Vogtlands come in 1.6 and 1.0" drop sizes. I don't know much about the Eibachs, IMHO Vogtland is the best.

Cons are a harsher ride - you trade comfort for performance. You'll need an alignment after they're installed and that's about it. You'll want to replace the shocks with something firmer. There really is no point in putting performance springs on a car without performance shocks IMHO.
Woodman, CDsDontBurn and Tbird Bob like this.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I don't really think there's a "best", as long as the specs fit your desires. Me I way prefer my cut Tokicos to Eibachs(I utterly hate the way those ride). Vogtland has the prettiest color

Negatives other than firmness(which I don't consider negative) and scraping, which is inevitable with any drop over an inch, is really that you're close to the ground and these cars in relation to most 2016 era CUV/SUVs infesting the roads out there, so if you have a hard time seeing around other cars in traffic now, it'll only get worse, but you'll look cool so who cares .
CDsDontBurn and Tbird Bob like this.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 05:47 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Just read this thread for all you want to know about springs.

http://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensio...ront-rear.html
Woodman and CDsDontBurn like this.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 08:01 PM
PostWhore

Garage
On the cons list...

Depending on how low you go, scraping over speed bumps/surface irregularities can happen more often. You lose wheel clearance to the top of the fenderwell, but in most cases that's not a big deal. Hasn't been an issue on my 18x9 wheels yet.

I am running Eibachs and I like them. It is more firm than stock, but still a very comfortable ride even with my 255/40/18 tires and KYB GR-2 shocks. I plan to upgrade to Tokiko Blues eventually.

From what I hear, the Vogtland springs are the superior choice for cornering ability, but have a harsher ride than the Eibachs. From my understanding, the eibachs are out of production for our cars.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

One thing to take in to account is condition of the roads. When I lived in GA I had no problems with my 1.5" Eibachs, now in AR the roads are so poorly maintained I scrape going down State Highways (ruts from lack of resurfacing or not properly done job to begin with).
Woodman likes this.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:22 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
One thing to take in to account is condition of the roads. When I lived in GA I had no problems with my 1.5" Eibachs, now in AR the roads are so poorly maintained I scrape going down State Highways (ruts from lack of resurfacing or not properly done job to begin with).
Northern MN isn't much different. I have to drive all over the road to avoid frost heaves, pot holes, etc.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
If I remember my research correctly (its been a while) the Eibachs (if you can find them) are progressive springs meaning the more they are compressed the firmer they get. The Vogtlands are a... forgot the word... anyway they have a constant spring rate. What that means is that the Eibachs are softer on the interstate and firmer when pressed into corners. The Vogtlands are the same in both conditions. For this reason I liked the Eibachs. But, as they are out of production now unless you can find some NOS or used ones your only choice is the vogtlands. In my opinion the pros far outweigh the cons as far as lowering. (so long as its reasonable anyway)
Woodman, CDsDontBurn and Tbird Bob like this.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:55 PM
4th Gear Poster

Would a simplified statement that accurately describes the information said above, be if you prefer a smooth ride with less NVH with a floating type feel then one would go with a progressive spring rate such as eibach, the flip side being if you want to feel your car firmly planted and be in tune with your cars entire handling then one would go with the linear spring rate such that of the Vogtlands. Orr am I way off here?

Last edited by MerkCougar; 03-18-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: I sound dumb
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:12 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
They're Coke and Pepsi. There isn't any difference except for personal taste.

The most important difference - as Traveler said - is availability - the Eibachs are out of production.

For the sake of argument, if you don't want to feel a speed bump at 20 MPH then stick with stock.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
If I remember my research correctly (its been a while) the Eibachs (if you can find them) are progressive springs meaning the more they are compressed the firmer they get. The Vogtlands are a... forgot the word... anyway they have a constant spring rate. What that means is that the Eibachs are softer on the interstate and firmer when pressed into corners. The Vogtlands are the same in both conditions. For this reason I liked the Eibachs. But, as they are out of production now unless you can find some NOS or used ones your only choice is the vogtlands. In my opinion the pros far outweigh the cons as far as lowering. (so long as its reasonable anyway)
Linear is the word you're looking for but a few clarificationss: ALL springs get firmer the more you compress them. Meaning if you compress a linear spring rated at 326 pounds per inch, it will take 652 pounds to compress it 2" and so on. Progressives work like two linear springs on top of each other, one with a low rate and one with a high rate, one will compress quick for minor bumps and whatnot and when it compresses enough to reach the second rate that firm section of spring is now doing the work.

Vogtlands are in fact progressive, and I believe most lowering springs made for these cars were, minus Tokico and I think ST(H&R maybe? Some acronym lol), but Vogtlands just use a much higher initial rate than Eibachs do. Think of it this way:

Vogtland = Shorter Sport(JJJJ) springs

Eibach = shorter LX springs

Eibachs initial rate is about as soft as non-sport springs LX springs(which are linear) at 270lb/in IIRC, whereas Vogtlands initial rate is in the 340 lb/in range like sports. Both get into the 400s when you push them, but that super low initial rate is why I dislike Eibachs personally, I don't like the way non-SCs/sports ride in any situation, Eibachs try to preserve that mush and the transition to firm when you push them is like an on/off switch.
Traveler likes this.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 03-18-2016 at 01:27 PM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Thunderbird Lowering Springs

http://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensio...ml#post1280536

Those hash out some of the same points as this thread and may be worth a read.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 03:28 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I noticed that plopping my hefty ass on the rear quarterpanel only moves the rear suspension, about 1".

A well damped motion, but damn. I'm not a small guy.

Further analysis made me realize that as light as the rear of the car is, I can't really use sport springs.

I'm going to go back in with the OG springs, and see.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 04:07 PM

Garage
Oregon's full of cool twisty roads, some of which are bumpy.
Looking at it from that perpective---
-- lowering a car generally puts it at risk of hitting the suspension bump stops in a corner when traversing a bump or a dip in the road. If the car car does hit the stops, and you are driving fast, the end of the car that is bottomed will momentarily loose traction. Sometime you can trim the stops back a bit if they are rubber or urethane to help maintain bump (jounce) travel in the suspension.
Dont know the specifics of a T-bird, but it is something to look out for.
Since most of the twisty roads here in Washington are bumpy, I find that when I lower a car to make it look good, I generally end up regretting it, and revert
back to the stock ride height.
Tbird Bob likes this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 03:46 AM
PostWhore

This conversation makes me think I would be better off lowering the front but not the rear. By the time I reinstall my sound system and add a battery into the trunk my rear tires will perhaps have an inch of 2 of clearance again. I suppose the right lowering springs could leave me just as much clearance but it still looks like I only need lower springs in the front. Then again if I had my way I'd have smaller wheels in the front as well.

-Randy-
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 10:33 AM
5th Gear Poster

You might want to consider your tire height too. I have tires that are shorter than stock and I got a deal on the 0.9" Voigtlands. My car rides pretty close to what 2" lowering springs would give on stock tire size. I have been hitting the tips of my exhaust when I try to enter steep residential driveways but that's about it. Not too bad.

I didn't drive my car very much or very hard during the replacement of the front end, all new springs, new Tokiko shocks, new brakes, and new steering rack, so, I can't say what the springs would do by themselves. There is definitely less body roll than my stock springs with 170k on them.

What Grog said above kinda hits home with my setup. There's still some softness in the ride that is just enough for highway cruising but if the bump is any size at all I'll feel it more than I used to.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-19-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Vogtland or bust.

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Linear is the word you're looking for but a few clarificationss: ALL springs get firmer the more you compress them. Meaning if you compress a linear spring rated at 326 pounds per inch, it will take 652 pounds to compress it 2" and so on. Progressives work like two linear springs on top of each other, one with a low rate and one with a high rate, one will compress quick for minor bumps and whatnot and when it compresses enough to reach the second rate that firm section of spring is now doing the work.

Vogtlands are in fact progressive, and I believe most lowering springs made for these cars were, minus Tokico and I think ST(H&R maybe? Some acronym lol), but Vogtlands just use a much higher initial rate than Eibachs do. Think of it this way:

Vogtland = Shorter Sport(JJJJ) springs

Eibach = shorter LX springs

Eibachs initial rate is about as soft as non-sport springs LX springs(which are linear) at 270lb/in IIRC, whereas Vogtlands initial rate is in the 340 lb/in range like sports. Both get into the 400s when you push them, but that super low initial rate is why I dislike Eibachs personally, I don't like the way non-SCs/sports ride in any situation, Eibachs try to preserve that mush and the transition to firm when you push them is like an on/off switch.
Thank you for the clarification. Based on what you have said, I think a set of Vogtlands may be in the future of my wife's Sport Tbird.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:10 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
.9 or 1.6?

1995 T-Bird.
PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Stage 2 MHS cams. Kooks Headers. 4,200 ATF Speed converter. BCA Transmission. 4:10s. Tune by Supercoupes Unlimited. 245 RWHP.
3,700 lbs at half tank. Goal- 3,400 lbs
Best of 13.85 at 96 mph. Goal- 11's NA

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine- R.I.P.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

In case of a flat tire will I wish I hadn't lowered the car because the factory scissor jack won't fit? I suppose I can keep a short piece of lumber in the trunk to use as a ramp to raise the car. Has anyone faced this issue?

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
The factory scissor jack will definitely fit, they're very low.

That is a good point to bring up though, shop jacks are in fact more difficult to use on a lowered MN12 depending on design, I need to use a smaller one to raise the car back up to stock height to get my big floor jack underneath the K member.
Tbird Bob likes this.

-Matt
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 04:11 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird Bob View Post
In case of a flat tire will I wish I hadn't lowered the car because the factory scissor jack won't fit? I suppose I can keep a short piece of lumber in the trunk to use as a ramp to raise the car. Has anyone faced this issue?
I went to Harbor Freight and bought the steel 3 ton, low profile high lift jack (goes up to 14" high) and I LOVE it. It gets the car up in the air so much better than my old walmart hydraulic jack. They have a lighter aluminum one that goes up to 12" high on sale right now too for less than $100.

For the side of the road, the scissor jack will be more than enough. Just make sure that you're on solid ground, you do not want the dirt getting pushed out from under it.

Regarding the springs themselves. I've not had the opportunity to ride on a sport spring equipped car, nor a vortgland equipped car. I have ridden in my old Thunderbird on stock springs, and my current bird on Eibachs. I have to say that I like the Eibachs very much. For a regular, street driven car they are very compliant even with my 255/40/18 tires, and the only time I feel a lot of bumps is if I happen to be on an old, poorly maintained dirt road. I like the on/off feel when I'm cornering, because the springs are soft pretty much until I NEED them not to be, so it works for me, but I may be inclined to change my mind once I try some Vortgland springs.

Either way, they take an already good cornering car and improve upon it. Doing other things like what Traveler did to mine like shock/strut bracing, thicker sway bars, better shocks, etc will all improve on the cornering abilities of the car, but at some cost of comfort. As is, my car is so much more comfortable than my 1999 Mustang GT was on lowering springs.
Tbird Bob likes this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
The factory scissor jack will definitely fit, they're very low.

That is a good point to bring up though, shop jacks are in fact more difficult to use on a lowered MN12 depending on design, I need to use a smaller one to raise the car back up to stock height to get my big floor jack underneath the K member.
They will not, ask me how I know.... Floor jacks do fit though.

The factory jack may fit a LX but not a SC with a flat on the front.
Woodman likes this.

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
93 5.0 Tbird
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:00 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
The tokico's I bought were this kit:

Tokico HPK221 HP Suspension Kit for Thunderbird/Mercury Cougar

The springs are light purple, lol.

It says it's a 1.5" drop, but the pix DO NOT match what I have, obviously.

They're progressive for the first ~inch, and you have to Set them into a corner, if you need to do that, lol.

The sport springs and konis on Lazarus corner really well, but it's too stiff for daily use; that's due to the weight reduction, if I added 200lbs of weight in the rear, they'd be fine.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Last edited by Grog6; 03-21-2016 at 06:08 PM.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:

Even if you jack it from the K-member?
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

Perhaps you have a different scissor jack for your car than what mine came with, I've seen some scissor jacks that have shorter threaded rods so as to fit inside the space saver rim, mine is full length though, it'll go all the way flat and that's lower than any low profile floor jack I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Even if you jack it from the K-member?
Good lord, do not use a scissor jack on the K member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The tokico's I bought were this kit:

Tokico HPK221 HP Suspension Kit for Thunderbird/Mercury Cougar

The springs are light purple, lol.

It says it's a 1.5" drop, but the pix DO NOT match what I have, obviously.

They're progressive for the first ~inch, and you have to Set them into a corner, if you need to do that, lol.

The sport springs and konis on Lazarus corner really well, but it's too stiff for daily use; that's due to the weight reduction, if I added 200lbs of weight in the rear, they'd be fine.
Those springs sound awfully like vogtlands to me - purple, progressive, 1.5" drop - I have the same kit on my car, albeit purchased in 07 or 08 thereabouts, the springs are linear front and back, bright red and advertise a 1.25" drop(which is why I cut them). Could be that they're outsourcing the springs from other manufacturers for their kits now a days.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 03-21-2016 at 06:47 PM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Here's my situation

V8ThunderCat and Tbird Bob like this.

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in