Super Coupe Coils - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Super Coupe Coils

I need to know more about using coil springs on a Mark VIII there was ne article I found about using them and I hope their a lil stiffer and will lower my Mark a lil bit ..any help would be appericated

Eazezee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:25 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazezee View Post
I need to know more about using coil springs on a Mark VIII there was ne article I found about using them and I hope their a lil stiffer and will lower my Mark a lil bit ..any help would be appericated
They are not going to lower the front, that's for sure..

In fact, everyone I've talked to that installed these said they raised the front higher than stock height..

They are the stiffest factory MN12 coil spring though..It'd be wise to use a nice set of shocks to pair with the SC/Sport Coil Springs..
(Tokico Blues would pair nicely)

The rear I'm not sure about, that depends if you just leave them floating around or if use some rear Coil Spring Insulators with a set of Spring Cups

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Poster

While we're talking about sport springs and I'm sure the op is curious too. I cut my rear eibachs 3/4 coil and it sits perfect in the rear! Have bilstein shocks back there. Just bought the Blues for the front. I know the sport springs I have are stiffer but I don't know if I can cut enough off to acheive the "gap" I'm looking for. Was thinking of cutting one full coil off my front eibachs. What's your opinion Rayo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 03:53 PM
̇

Garage
Since we're on the subject of cutting SC/Sport coil springs..
Yes, I do think by cutting the front SC/Sport coil springs you could achieve the "gap" you're after..
The only problem is finding a shock that deals with that increased stiffness well..
The Tokico Blues should work ok with cut SC/Sport coil springs..
That's about the only shock available that could reasonably handle a spring with that high of rate, unless you got an old set of Konis laying around..

I'd recommend cutting the SC/Sport coils springs instead of cutting the Eibachs though..I mean if you're still not happy with the "gap" in the front..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:11 AM
Veteran Poster

It still has the sport springs on the front at the moment and taking a measurement, it needs to come down about 3 inches. Can you cut enough out of the sport springs for that much of a drop and not get beat to death on the ride? Also, what would the life span be on those Tockico's with the increased spring rate? Thanks man!

Eibach pro kit springs w/rear cobra bilstiens, rear disc conversion, 2000 Cobra R wheels, 89 SC track-lock swap w/mark 8 cv shafts, 89 front and rear sway bars
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
It still has the sport springs on the front at the moment and taking a measurement, it needs to come down about 3 inches. Can you cut enough out of the sport springs for that much of a drop and not get beat to death on the ride? Also, what would the life span be on those Tockico's with the increased spring rate? Thanks man!
Could you?..Yeah..

Should You?..Hell NOOO!!

Unless you're using undersized tires, I don't see any reason you'd need to lower it that much to swallow up the wheel gap..

I have no idea what the lifespan of the Tokico Blues would be, if you lowered it that much..Probably not very long..

If you need to lower your car that much, you should choose an aftermarket lowering spring with the most advertised drop..

Rayo..

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Poster

Well the Eibachs I have are a 1.5 and ive had them for 10 years so that's probly increased to almost 2 so I should be ok to cut ! full coil from those I would think. Im runnin 235/45/17's on the front. It's a pretty big gap! Im not good with computers and pictures. If you want to pm me your phone number I can send you a pic that way.

Eibach pro kit springs w/rear cobra bilstiens, rear disc conversion, 2000 Cobra R wheels, 89 SC track-lock swap w/mark 8 cv shafts, 89 front and rear sway bars
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:10 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
Well the Eibachs I have are a 1.5 and ive had them for 10 years so that's probly increased to almost 2 so I should be ok to cut ! full coil from those I would think. Im runnin 235/45/17's on the front. It's a pretty big gap! Im not good with computers and pictures. If you want to pm me your phone number I can send you a pic that way.
It's a pretty big gap because your tires are so undersized..
I know it's easy for me to tell you to get the right size tires for for your wheels, but that's where most of that gap is coming from..

If you lower your car enough to get rid of ALL of the gap between the top of the tires and the fenders, I don't see it turning out good..
Not with those size tires anyways..

Rayo..

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Poster

I noticed my front eibachs have a bit of a bow to them. Both of them. Is that a concern or is it normal for eibachs. Also when cutting them is it better to cut the bottom coils vs the top? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in