1Likes
  • 1 Post By MaddMartigan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Rear Toe Compensator Link removal & replacement Qs

All:
I finished installing my rear bilsteins today and am now working on the rear brakes + toe compensator links.
1) In a perfect world, I would remove both entire rear LCAs and replace the bushings. While Energy Suspension bushings aren't that bad cost wise ($44-45/set), I really don't feel like dealing with this PITA job just yet. I don't seem to have slop in the LCA just yet (used a prybar for testing), so I'll probably skip this step until after my next race.

2) What I'm OK with replacing right now are the toe comp endlinks -- esp since I was able to source a pair for $40-45 out the door from PepBoys on special.

So now that i have the bilsteins installed, I undid the bolt that holds the endlinks to the rear LCAs and sure enough the inboard endlink is dryrot/shot to hell.

Q: Are there any tips to removing the rear bolt holding the toe comp+LCA to the rear subframe or should I just hold the big nut and hit it with my impact gun? Once loose, the plan is to tap the bolt back so I can remove the old toe comp and then push the bolt back in to reinstall.

I have it soaking in pbblaster now and while this car is NOT rusty at all (CA Car), I strongly suspect that these LCA to subframe bolts have never been removed since they were installed on the car back in 95.

I don't see any marks so I believe the toe is set with the eccentric washer at the rearmost LCA attachment point and not the one farther forward.

Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated (or just confirmation that I'm on the right track).

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 02:01 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I think that sounds like a good plan. The rear upper and lower control arm bushings look pretty solid, you should be able to wait a while. Are you planning on welding the bracing on after you finish replacing all the bushings? Let us know how good the new shock shock absorbers are.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:54 AM

Garage
When I removed my stock LCAs to put in the new bushings, I broke both rear bolts (the ones with the cam plate for alignment). Of course they were rusty but still, removing the bolts were the biggest part of the job.

So, what I'm saying is, if you're considering swapping over to MK8 LCAs, now is the time. This is the hard part of the job.

On that note, the weight difference is significant. I didn't specifically weigh mine but the MK8 LCAs weight at least half as much if not less. And that's with me putting in a huge chunk of aluminum for a spring perch.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN8989 View Post
I think that sounds like a good plan. The rear upper and lower control arm bushings look pretty solid, you should be able to wait a while. Are you planning on welding the bracing on after you finish replacing all the bushings? Let us know how good the new shock shock absorbers are.
Kevin:
Toe compensators are only found in the rear of the bird and I'm only building the bracing as discussed with Mike for the front of the tbird. I will build the front braces as bolt on items and they can be installed without interfering with replacing the front LCAs.

Just pressing down on the rear shocks (fronts come in today) I can tell you that there's a good deal more dampening between the used motorcrafts and the new bilsteins. I don't recall the motorcrafts ever being this stiff in the beginning but I can't quantify the difference as I don't have a shock dyno.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in