Rear toe links '96 - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kidd-7
  • 1 Post By ikutoisahobo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Rear toe links '96

I see Moog discontinued them. Rockauto has Centric, whom I've never heard of and Dorman, yuck. Also, list MEVOTECH under rear control arm (toe adjuster). I found an ACDelco listed somewhere, can't remember right now. Any input on which ones are good?
CDsDontBurn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 04:18 PM
5th Gear Poster

Centric makes decent brake components, I have Centric rotors on my Honda, 10k miles later and they're doing great, never seen their suspension components, however. Most of these come from a single producer. Mevotech is great, it's like Moog, probably the same company lol. But if you can get Mevotech's get them, and ACDelco is great too.
CDsDontBurn likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Kind of slapped together

Swap to Jay's Delrin LCA bushings, no toe comp needed.

Or swap to poly, knock the old bushing out of the old toe comps, and nothing else needed.

RwP

Fuelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 PM
3rd Gear Poster

From what I read, AC Delco now distributes Raybestos Professional as AC Delco Professional. And other new names may be selling old Raybestos products. I guess you really need to check the brand. There's been a lot of changes in the past few years. Seems like Moog gets complaints lately. I learned years ago to avoid most AC Delco parts on non-GM cars. But AC Delco is a very different company now and has the good quality suspension parts for Ford. At least I hope so because I just ordered AC Delco suspension parts.

I don't mind Chinese parts. They are low priced and mostly good quality. I remember really bad quality parts coming out of Canada in the 70s and 80s. There still is bad stuff coming from Canada. Spectra Premium is low-quality junk.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:05 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 V8 Swap View Post
From what I read, AC Delco now distributes Raybestos Professional as AC Delco Professional. And other new names may be selling old Raybestos products. I guess you really need to check the brand. There's been a lot of changes in the past few years. Seems like Moog gets complaints lately. I learned years ago to avoid most AC Delco parts on non-GM cars. But AC Delco is a very different company now and has the good quality suspension parts for Ford. At least I hope so because I just ordered AC Delco suspension parts.

I don't mind Chinese parts. They are low priced and mostly good quality. I remember really bad quality parts coming out of Canada in the 70s and 80s. There still is bad stuff coming from Canada. Spectra Premium is low-quality junk.
I have ACDelco UCAs on my TBird as well as ACDelco sway bar end links on the front, they're quality parts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
IMO brand and country of origin is fairly irrelevant with the toe compensators, they begin to fail when the boots tear and the quality manufacturers don't necessarily use higher quality boots than the cheap ones. Furthermore, they aren't a safety risk. Going cheap on the front end carries a very real risk, but the job the toe compensators do is not very critical, they don't have the kind of load ball joints face, and what load they do see is partially spread into the bushings, almost entirely so in non aggressive driving, and when they do fully wear out (which is because of aeformentioned boot failure) they simply clunk and annoy you, not put you into a ditch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Swap to Jay's Delrin LCA bushings, no toe comp needed.

Or swap to poly, knock the old bushing out of the old toe comps, and nothing else needed.

RwP
Polys are no more expensive than new quality toe comps alone either, that's how I rationalized it anyway.

-Matt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Thanks for all the info..
-Matt, what is the function of the toe compensators? From what I can tell it only seems to keep the LCAs from twisting under hard acceleration.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear Poster

This is the ACDelco "Alignment Tool", about $38 on RockAuto. It seems equal to the original in almost every way. The main difference is the "BAW" in the casting. The label says made in Taiwan. BAW is Beijing Auto Works. It is a big Chinese company with a factory in Taiwan where the parts are made.

I swore I would avoid ACDelco, but this "Alignment Tool" seems to be the only toe compensator link available at this time. RockAuto said there would be one day delay, but it actually came in 2 days. They seemed to fit and work perfectly. So thumbs up to ACDelco/Beijing Auto Works.

Last edited by 97 V8 Swap; 08-22-2018 at 07:14 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Same ones I got. They looked good to me also. How was the job of replacing them. I'll be doing this tomorrow.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
Same ones I got. They looked good to me also. How was the job of replacing them. I'll be doing this tomorrow.
If your bolts aren't rusty, it's not that hard. I did it with the car on jackstands and used some prybars to persuade it into place.
Surprisingly very little cursing but then again I don't have rusty bolts here in CA.

If your bolts are seized up, good luck. PB Blaster or a torch may be necessary.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear Poster

The toe link is very straightforward. Take out 2 nuts and their bolts. I struggled a bit with the first one prying the control arm to align the big bolt. The second one I just pulled the big bolt out just far enough to remove and replace the toe link. The first one took 2 hours and the second one took 20 minutes. I didn't touch the rear alignment eccentric bolts. I used 2 special tools. One was a 1 5/8" combination wrench for the big nut. The big nut needs to be tightened to 166-202 Lb-Ft. I was intimidated by this big nut, but the wrench took it right off. The factory manual doesn't mention tightening the LCA with the car's weight on the suspension. But I did it that way since I was replacing UCA bushings too. I made a custom tool out of a scrap 2x4. I cut out a notch and the board fits perfectly under the spindle. There's a bump cast into the bottom of the spindle and the notch clears the bump and it fits right against the backing plate. I lifted the car by the 2x4 and tightened the fasteners. It was a bit tight under the car with the big wrench.

Last edited by 97 V8 Swap; 08-22-2018 at 07:14 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Things went well. Those big nuts were a pain to break loose, but was really a smooth job. You southerners have it easy... Not only would I have been freezing working on this thing up north, but every darn bolts would have been rusted requiring hammers & cussing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in