?s about mark viii air ride - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

?s about mark viii air ride

Soooooo. I'm still very new to my mark 8 and I swear the front seems to sit higher than it should and its not too obvious looking at it from outside but when you drive you can tell..
Is there a reset procedure I can do to say, reset the air system and have it relevel?
I was looking at the air ride controller and that is my next mod FOR SURE..I like how you can give the car the raked look with it and be able to slam it while its parked. In sure I will be replacing stuff with in the system soon anyways as it recently hit the 100k mile mark and from what I've read it around the time components start to fail.
Feel free to educate me on this...no, I do not want to convert it to conventional suspension . the air bags.compressor what ever are like 100 a piece so wouldnt be too bad to rebuild the entire system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 02:52 PM
5th Gear Poster

My air ride was deleted before I purchased however I know you can adjust the sensors at each wheel. I don't know if this will give you enough though.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer471 View Post
My air ride was deleted before I purchased however I know you can adjust the sensors at each wheel. I don't know if this will give you enough though.
Any tips help...because actually when in park when it does the drop park my rear drivers side sits a bit lower by about an inch but when its raised its equal.I think..rides true and strait
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 05:16 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage

Hope this helps Amigo

God created Arakis to train the faithful... One cannot go against the word of God.........
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The rear air bags are fed off the same solenoid and ride height sensor. So if one of the bags leaks, both rear wheels will leak down at the same rate due to their being connected. The fronts are individually controlled.

I'd start by getting a measuring tape and measure the height of each fender at city height and parked/freeway height. Then make some decisions on what to do next after there's some quantitative data.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I watched that video but don't have the tester ..so the rear is fed off the same system egh? So I must have a leak in the air bag...gonna have to bust out the soapy water tomorrow because one side def sits lower..but if it leaked wouldn't the compressor come on randomly to try and reinflate it? And as soon as I shut it off or put it in park it sets at that level so i doubt an airbag leak...
Ggggggrrrrrr.....stuff like this actually really bothers me..I actually really love this car already and to see her lean .ugh
Here's pics of the rear wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0826170000a_1503723748701.jpg (4.86 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 0826170000_1503723776725.jpg (4.08 MB, 6 views)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well there are two ride heights, city height and freeway/parked height - which is about 3/4" lower than city height. I found this on another board:

Quote:
Measuring from the ground to the high point on the arch isn't how Lincoln calls out the spec on the ride height for the Mark VIII. Rather, it's the measurement from the lip of the bottom of the wheel RIM to the to the high point on the arch. The factory spec is 25-1/2" front, 25" rear ( 1/4"), which for a person with normal-sized hands (Shrek would have to use a ruler) is 3 fingers front, 2 fingers rear.
It's been 5 years since I had my 93 which still had air ride (the 96 was converted to coils before I got it) so I'm going off memory here - but at about 60 MPH it lowers itself to freeway height, and if you slow down to 45 MPH it pumps up to city height again.

The rear ride height sensor is attached to the driver's side control arm. There are lots of good things to read over on markviii.org. As it turns out my memory failed me earlier - there is only one ride height sensor on the rear but there are four solenoids and lines. So if one of the bags (or solenoids) leaks, that side will go down and the compressor won't pump up again until it's so low that the average height for the rear is low enough that the one sensor picks it up. And when it does pump up, the bag that doesn't leak will have more pressure than the side that does, and over time will exacerbate the lean.

Air Suspension Index Page
Sensor Lowering
AIR SUSPENSION EXPLAINED

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:36 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
one on eBay...$350
Ford Rotunda Super Star II Tester/Diagnostic Code Reader | eBay

If you plan on keeping the car awhile, a good investment...

God created Arakis to train the faithful... One cannot go against the word of God.........
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Here's the strange thing ..I .cant tell if it lowers at freeway speeds but when i slow down to a stop from 55 plus it lowers. So does it have a city height , in park height and freeway but mine lowers when I come to a stop in drive from highway speeds...is something wrong or is this normal? The car at any speed is very responsive as I did wheel jerks just to test her out..
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
City height is what it pumps up to after the engine starts. It's supposed to drop 20mm after reaching 63 MPH for freeway height (same as parked height). Then it should pump up again after dropping below 45 MPH to city height. If it's not doing this, there are issues.

-Brandon

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
City height is what it pumps up to after the engine starts. It's supposed to drop 20mm after reaching 63 MPH for freeway height (same as parked height). Then it should pump up again after dropping below 45 MPH to city height. If it's not doing this, there are issues.
Could something be wrong causing it to raise when its sapose to lower? Because when I get to city speeds I feel the front end lower ..I can't tell if it adjust on the free way but it wouldn't make sense that it raises for higher speed then lowers at city..I thought it opposite of that.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Is there a reset procedure or should I turnoff air ride and dissconect the battery for the night ?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
First... grab a measuring tape and measure/record the height from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the fender at all four corners with the car at city height (engine running, car in park), then do the same after turning the engine off after parking it and closing the driver's door. Measure it again the next morning and note any changes. That will indicate/rule out leaks, and confirm proper operation of the height sensors, solenoids, compressor, and vents.

-Brandon

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
First... grab a measuring tape and measure/record the height from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the fender at all four corners with the car at city height (engine running, car in park), then do the same after turning the engine off after parking it and closing the driver's door. Measure it again the next morning and note any changes. That will indicate/rule out leaks, and confirm proper operation of the height sensors, solenoids, compressor, and vents.
Will do tomorrow...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The low rear drivers side which looks low is 23 3/4 inch...passenger side rear is 26inch and both fronts are 23 1/2...
How can I relevel it...I'm pretty sure it only does it in park.. So that one side isn't low the other side is too high.
I also checked all the bags and what lines I could get at for leaks and none...I also vented all 4 corners and even while vented the r.p side still site a bit higher than the other 3 corners..could they have replaced a body mount and its size is diff ???? I'm at a loss here ..these simple things really bother me.I take pride in my vehicles looking nice..pls help gurus..c'mon 4.6xr7 !

Last edited by 94badbird; 09-19-2017 at 04:00 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The ride height sensor is attached to the driver's rear LCA, so I'm guessing your driver's rear bag or solenoid has a slow leak since that sensor is at the right height and that's what the air ride module is seeing. When that side gets low it pumps up both sides since it has no way of adjusting both rears independently.

When you say you vented... how did you accomplish that? If you leave the air ride switch in the trunk on then jack up one of the corners, it should vent that corner. If you do that on the DS rear, it should vent both rear air bags. If you vent for the max. allowed duration (I think 90 seconds) and then lower the car (gently) until it rests on the completely lowered jack and then let the compressor pump up the rear again, what are the heights?

Unfortunately not many of the active members here have/have had a Mark 8 with air ride. In my case I'm going off what I remember when I had my old 93 a few years back (my 96 was converted to coils before I got it). If you need a larger community to pick from you may want to hit up Lincolns of Distinction or Lincoln vs. Cadillac.

-Brandon

Last edited by theterminator93; 09-19-2017 at 05:42 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I vented it by turning off the trunk switch then disconnecting the white twist thingy with the sensor attached ...even vented the sides were unequal and once filled back up they are still the same...trust me there's no leak..I checked 2x with soapy water and not one bubble any where .
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
You vented by yanking the solenoids from the pressurized air bags? Well, that's one way to do it lol.

You're saying the rear end wasn't at the same height when lowered even with the bags totally deflated? That sounds like a weird rear suspension subframe assembly/alignment problem. If you take a look at the IRS subframe from the back end looking forward, are there any perceivable differences between sides?

-Brandon

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well this is strange...
Coming home last night I put my car in neutral and coasted like 2.5 miles from the high way into my driveway..lol..I live at the bottom of a ski resort ...
Anyways I went out this morning and my car is sitting equal finally ! The one side lowered and other raised and its even..I did bang the corner really hard in order to make it up the last little hill in neutral.
There has to be something loose that makes it level wrong back there once it was parked but wtf could it be ?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Theterminator,
No....I even counted threads on suspension components and measure body mounts and everything and couldn't find a thing...lol I've spent countless hours now rolling under my car looking and putzing with everything .
I could tell now for sure it did raise back up after slowing down from highway speeds then lower in park ect....
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:06 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
You could try replacing the ride height indicators in the rear... I may have one or two old ones. No promises if they are any better then yours, but it may be worth a try.

1995 T-Bird.
PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Stage 2 MHS cams. Kooks Headers. 4,200 ATF Speed converter. BCA Transmission. 4:10s. Tune by Supercoupes Unlimited. 245 RWHP.
3,700 lbs at half tank. Goal- 3,400 lbs
Best of 13.85 at 96 mph. Goal- 11's NA

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine- R.I.P.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
ride height indicators in the rear
There's only one ride height sensor for the rear (driver's side)... unless they changed that for gen 2s?

-Brandon

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
ride height indicators in the rear
There's only one ride height sensor for the rear (driver's side)... unless they changed that for gen 2s?
You are correct..only one for the rear..its on the passengers side rear control arm..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in