Air ride suspension topics even current and relevant here anymore ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Air ride suspension topics even current and relevant here anymore ?

Just wondering if air ride topics are even relevant here as apose to when people were still air bagging tbirds...in early 2000's seems to be not the case.
Any rate im looking for current or old info on how to do these right on a 89-97 and especially where to buy front bagged struts "not air cylinders " and also what was used for the rear I know bags fit in place of the coil and it's supposed to be pretty simplified rear install but there was a circular bag plate/pocket supposed to be used on either the rear lower or upper setup .. I recall that's what I can't find info on or how to find it sold prefabbed dimensions or design for it?
Must be a decent how to article as far as the install for these cars front install is a breeze complete bolt in place of struts ...the air management plumbing is simple but the rear is where im clueless?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
It was never much of a thing here, back when these cars were more popular the people who put airbags on them were on the now defunct baggedbirds forum, TCCoA was always more V8 performance centric. Though I'm certain there is plenty of info archived here

-Matt
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
It was never much of a thing here, back when these cars were more popular the people who put airbags on them were on the now defunct baggedbirds forum, TCCoA was always more V8 performance centric. Though I'm certain there is plenty of info archived here
I believe that...to be true on tccoa as I see it now. I just initially figured it was covered in suspension topics at some point here and not just shunned upon due to bias opinions because it' is a thing thats more oriented towards a younger crowd with a different agenda then whats seen here as some old school guys would see it ...

Although in my eyes that suspension style with v8 speed can and do go hand in hand.
I'm not against bagged cars or mini-truck'n and all thats entailed with it because I've owned a few . .which is why I was curious and looking for info here .
At any rate airbagit.com has given me some info I needed
Thanks for the feedback .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I think DDubb once told me he was into "laying frame". He now lays pipe now (for a living, not just recreationally) so he might not be able to chime in for a while.

I always thought they looked like cappucino machines in back.
If you really wanted to go ambitious, why not try to retrofit a Magneride F55 kit for a C5 corvette onto the tbird?
https://www.generalmotorspartsonline...507?origin=pla

if my bilstein setup didn't already make my tbird more car than i can handle on the track (and I was stupid enough to want to spend $2K on suspension), this would be an interesting project to take on.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Try reaching out to bagged89, he owned the baggedbirds site that Matt mentioned. He hasn't logged on since last year sometime.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Try reaching out to bagged89, he owned the baggedbirds site that Matt mentioned. He hasn't logged on since last year sometime.

Joe
I did infact do that ..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:45 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 5.0 View Post
I believe that...to be true on tccoa as I see it now. I just initially figured it was covered in suspension topics at some point here and not just shunned upon due to bias opinions because it' is a thing thats more oriented towards a younger crowd with a different agenda then whats seen here as some old school guys would see it ...

Although in my eyes that suspension style with v8 speed can and do go hand in hand.
I'm not against bagged cars or mini-truck'n and all thats entailed with it because I've owned a few . .which is why I was curious and looking for info here .
I don't think anyone here was particularly against it, it just isn't very practical to fill up trunk space with compressors, along with the prerequisite 2x12 sub box, for what were mostly daily driven cars for most people. Engine and traditional suspension mods were more practical and less intrusive and less costly.

-Matt
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Banned

This might sound stupid . but could he some how swap on mark viii air ride suspension and run it off a controller ???
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 5.0 View Post

I don't think anyone here was particularly against it, it just isn't very practical to fill up trunk space with compressors, along with the prerequisite 2x12 sub box, for what were mostly daily driven cars for most people. Engine and traditional suspension mods were more practical and less intrusive and less costly.
I've seen these cars with tank mounted behind bumper cover with some fashion of a welded bracket setup or upside down under the rear deck using a skinny tank
Yes sounds"subwoofers " are a must usually with the right ingenuity space can be found .. I do alot of car audio. The plug and play air management setups can be fit into spare tire area and they are rather compact These days ..

I just was only asking about rear bag set up initially that's all
Bagged89 has replied as well about this .
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:02 PM
drag-aholic

Hello Everybody.

People who bag these cars as a project don't seem stay interested for long. We only have a Facebook group now with pics from the site when it was up, but its a ghost town pretty much also. The BAGGEDBIRDS.com Site ran from 2002- 2012 I still own the Domain name.

1991 5.0 Ill email you info and see what pic I can send you.

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:09 PM
drag-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
This might sound stupid . but could he some how swap on mark viii air ride suspension and run it off a controller ???

There use to be a tutorial on LOD Lincolns of Distinction way back, probably about 10 years. I believe Kale made it, he passed some time ago. I have no idea if the tutorial is still around, or LOD for that matter.

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in