Updated Thunderbird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Updated Thunderbird

We are making plans to update our Tbird at the end of the summer this year. I have the specs for the Mustang Dual piston calipers for the front and Updating the rear drum brakes to disc. But the one thing I want the car to have is a SPORT switch. The idea is I want to flip one switch that turns off the overdrive and stiffens the shocks.
My question is does anyone make struts and shocks that are electronic adjustable? Any issues or is it just add 12 volts and they get stiffer? Thanks

Mr.Thunderbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:12 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Thunderbird View Post
We are making plans to update our Tbird at the end of the summer this year. I have the specs for the Mustang Dual piston calipers for the front and Updating the rear drum brakes to disc. But the one thing I want the car to have is a SPORT switch. The idea is I want to flip one switch that turns off the overdrive and stiffens the shocks.
My question is does anyone make struts and shocks that are electronic adjustable? Any issues or is it just add 12 volts and they get stiffer? Thanks
The 89-95 SuperCoupe (and some versions of the Cougar XR-7 had Tokiko electronically adjustable shocks. They are very hard to come by these days if I remember correctly, and the controllers for them would need to be sourced from an 89-95 SC.

For the Overdrive, we already have a button for that. I use mine whenever I pass to disable overdrive so I can do a full throttle pass.

It could be possible if someone makes an aftermarket two way electronically adjustable shock to wire in a multi-function device to trigger the shocks to go into "firm" and disable the Overdrive at the same time. Mustang guys use them often to disable the traction control on startup if they don't tune it out, or to automate other functions.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Yeah I use my O/D switch too, but just want to add a second switch that will do both the O/D and Stiffen the suspension. I know how to wire things for the switch I want but need source for those electronic shocks and struts. Oh, I noticed that there is a light in my instrument cluster that says "Firm Ride". I'll even wire that in.

Mr.Thunderbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:41 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Currently nobody make adjustable shocks for our cars. Nobody makes performance shocks period now that Tokico discontinued the Illuminas and the Blues. You can still find them if you keep a close eye on ebay but they arent cheap.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:50 PM
PostWhore

Garage
You can get QA1 shocks from SuperCoupePerformance.com, with the parts needed to work on our cars. They're not electrically adjustable, but they are very adjustable.

SuperCoupePerformance also has a stock of the Tokiko Blues that work on our cars (2 complete sets left). Those, combined with good Vogtland lowering springs will give you good ride comfort and improved cornering ability.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
The QA1's are EXTREMELY Expensive from SCP at $736 a set (Springs NOT included)

https://www.supercoupeperformance.co...qa1-shocks-954

Another option is to ask Paul to build you a set of these: https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensi...om-design.html

... or build your own.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:42 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
If you only want to adjust body roll, don't mind stiffer springs in sport mode and don't mind a bit of DIY and tinkering, you could make a pneumatically 2-way adjustable suspension setup by replacing your sway bar end links with double acting pneumatic cilinders.

With the "sport" switch you could then actuate a valve that extends or retracts the cilinders, giving you 2 setups that vary from each other in stiffness according to the difference in bore size and bore size minus shaft size of the cilinders. Or you could make it fully adjustable with 2 pressure controle valves.

Pneumatic components are usually very cheap and pneumatic lines are easy to route but it requires a (small) 12V compressor and a small air tank however.
It also requires to install (or build) stiffer sway bars because the cilinders are in effect an air spring in series with the sway bar.

May the downforce be with you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in