Shock Mount Washer - TCCoA Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By CDsDontBurn
  • 2 Post By Grog6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Shock Mount Washer

Where can I buy these washers? Part #'s?

Its between the front shock mount (rubber bonded metal doohickey) and the nut.

Thanks

graduated; still too much work, not enough thunderbird

Last edited by thebluebomber; 08-06-2018 at 10:48 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:01 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Unobtainium as far as know.

Some of the junkyard junkies here might have a few stashed away.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:27 AM
PostWhore

You can re-use the old ones, but obviously it requires a disassembly of the old shock.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 12:46 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I had to get those from a junkyard; they still think I'm insane.

The proper way to remove those is to remove the shock, and use tools to compress the spring, and remove the center nut.

I would not do this, but You CAN stand on the fender, with your feet off the ground, and take the top nut off; it's pretty spectacular. Don't try this at home, kids!

The more stuff that is still attached to the spindle, the less it flies thru the air...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
If the car is on the ground you can take the shock nuts right off without anything scary happening. I’ve done what Grog describes though, but I climbed into the engine compartment, no extremities were in the path of the spring. It’s less scary than you’d think when it gives way though, the spring is doesn’t have much energy left in it at full droop, it’s way safer than those rinky dink parts store compressor tools as far as I’m concerned.

-Matt
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 06:49 PM
4th Gear Poster

Not to go off topic but is there a spring compressor sold that works well for our cars? I did the fronts on my tbird with the parts store rental ones and it was super sketchy. Not doing that again.

I need to do my Cougars soon and would like to do it myself if possible. I have seen some "claw" style spring compressors, also hydraulic ones for $150ish on amazon. They have mixed reviews though.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 06:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
Not to go off topic but is there a spring compressor sold that works well for our cars? I did the fronts on my tbird with the parts store rental ones and it was super sketchy. Not doing that again.

I need to do my Cougars soon and would like to do it myself if possible. I have seen some "claw" style spring compressors, also hydraulic ones for $150ish on amazon. They have mixed reviews though.

https://www.amazon.com/Branick-7600-.../dp/B00MMLG9ZU

If it doesn't bolt to a wall, it's pretty sketchy with these springs.

I have the heavy duty clamp type ones, and doing sport springs with those was the scariest thing I've done; they looked like a banana before they would compress enough.

They work fine on the contour, lol.

This is one job to take to someone, or use the "whole weight of the car" trick mentioned above.
A 250lb friend putting his weight on one corner will loosen that right up.

One of the ones I took loose didn't have the spindle attached, and I didn't notice; we didn't find that lower, lol.

You don't need compressors for the rear; take the knuckle loose and tie it up to something, drop the straight arm down, and the spring will pull out.

You don't really need to dink with the rear suspension at ALL, if all you're doing is replacing the rear shocks; as long as you leave the weight of the car on the wheels, you can just unbolt the shocks, and replace them.

The only pressure on them is the gas pressure, and 20 yo shocks don't have that, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Last edited by Grog6; 08-09-2018 at 07:04 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:28 AM
PostWhore

I bought this compressor, but have not used it. It is a stout unit and priced right. My mechanic did my springs with one just like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Al

Previous Fords:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Since we're on the topic of spring compressors, I have some questions.

Obviously, the best and safest one to use is a unit that is wall mounted.

Sketchy is something that is part of the rent-a-tool program at the parts store. But it seems there's varying degrees of sketchy on this.

What is the least sketchy spring compressor to use on our cars? Are all non-wall mount spring compressors equally sketchy to use on all cars, or just ours? For example, can I use a rent-a-tool spring compressor from the parts store on my mom's 2006 Sentra and not really worry about anything? Or should I take it in to a shop that has a wall mount spring compressor anyway?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Garage
I bought one of these sets:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMDPLM..._t2_B00IDHUQWY

Do NOT use these for sport springs unless you're suicidal.

I sat in a chair with it carefully positioned in my lap, so the shattering steel bolt fragments were all I had to worry about if it let go, and not the shock fragments; holes in the walls are relatively easy to fix.

They work fine for small cars, but not these.

I use the fender method; I weigh about 250, and it's not hard.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:22 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
Since we're on the topic of spring compressors, I have some questions.

Obviously, the best and safest one to use is a unit that is wall mounted.

Sketchy is something that is part of the rent-a-tool program at the parts store. But it seems there's varying degrees of sketchy on this.

What is the least sketchy spring compressor to use on our cars?
Check out my Amazon link in post #8. I would use that on any spring, I watched Rob use one just like it, and with an impact gun compressed the spring in 5 seconds (though they don't recommend using an impact gun!). That shaft is like 2" dia.

Advance Auto has the one like Grog's on the loaner tool program, and that was the reason I aborted the job and took it to a mechanic. I have had a similar clamp spin around the spring in a split second, luckily our fingers were out of the way.

Al

Previous Fords:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:30 PM

Garage
I have this: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-62300-M...ing+compressor

I've used it many times and I've never had a problem. It's a very heavy duty set and it bolts the compressors to the springs. It would have to fail catastrophically for it to cause a problem. It won't fail because the spring "slipped out".

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:04 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan View Post

I've used it many times and I've never had a problem. It's a very heavy duty set and it bolts the compressors to the springs. It would have to fail catastrophically for it to cause a problem. It won't fail because the spring "slipped out".
I like that much more, the U bolts are smart. The more common types shear off or bend

-Matt
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:13 PM
5th Gear Poster

I've used a unit like this: Link: http://a.co/ierzaUL
Borrowed it from a friends shop. Worked great.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I bought one of these sets:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMDPLM..._t2_B00IDHUQWY

Do NOT use these for sport springs unless you're suicidal.

I sat in a chair with it carefully positioned in my lap, so the shattering steel bolt fragments were all I had to worry about if it let go, and not the shock fragments; holes in the walls are relatively easy to fix.

They work fine for small cars, but not these.

I use the fender method; I weigh about 250, and it's not hard.
So if I were to get one of these and use on my mom's Sentra (I'm replacing her struts this weekend) that would be fine. Or even perhaps for my lowered Honda, would it be fine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Check out my Amazon link in post #8. I would use that on any spring, I watched Rob use one just like it, and with an impact gun compressed the spring in 5 seconds (though they don't recommend using an impact gun!). That shaft is like 2" dia.
I saw it, and I kind of liked it too.

Quote:

Would these work on Vogtlands for our cars as well? Or do those require more heavy duty stuff? IE, wall mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
I've used a unit like this: Link: http://a.co/ierzaUL
Borrowed it from a friends shop. Worked great.
I like that one! Would that work for Vogtlands on our cars?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
I like that one! Would that work for Vogtlands on our cars?
I've used them on my Sprint springs which are linear rate (heavier than Vogtlands) springs. I've never had a problem with them.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
I've used them on my Sprint springs which are linear rate (heavier than Vogtlands) springs. I've never had a problem with them.
** clicks ' add to cart' button **

Those will pay for themselves on the first use alone .
MaddMartigan likes this.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 01:18 AM

Garage
The shear force on those steel ubolts is fine with our springs; and those tighten on the coil itself, so they won't slide suddenly, and eject the spring, like the ones I have can do.

Mine have safety clips, but the sport springs are ~500+lbs/in compression, and you have to go about 4" on the front one to get it to release.

That's a Ton of pressure, Wanting to Dissassemble! I wonder if I could cut a shock shaft with thermite fast enough for it to fly? Hmmmm.

Yes, the steel the ones I have are probably good for 180klbs/sqin, but it's threaded (-20%), it's pulling at an offset angle (-5-20%), and it deforms into a stress curve, which concentrates stress towards the middle (-5-100%). (That last one, if it bends to the level of "Column Buckling", it fails instantly, and hardened metal sprays metal shards like a grenade when it shatters. I know way too much about breaking shit to be really happy, but I'm fatalistic enough not to worry about it a lot, lol. )

You Honda's sport springs are unlikely to be over 300lbs, and the Contour ones didn't bend anything at all.

Like I say, the rear ones don't really need a compressor, you remove the two lower knuckle bolts, support the knuckle, loosen the two inner lowers, loosen the lower shock bolt and support the arm with a jack, and remove the lower shock bolt; the LCA can be lowered to straight down, and you grab the spring and pull, as it's only stuck on the cast in perch.

MaddMartigan and CDsDontBurn like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in