1996 4.6L T-Bird Sport Front Shocks - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

1996 4.6L T-Bird Sport Front Shocks

I have a 1996 4.6L T-Bird LX with the Sport Option suspension package (upgraded suspension components and wheels). I am under the impression that the front struts are different from the standard T-Bird struts. I had them replaced about a year ago at the dealer, along with the rear shocks, but it seems that both front and rear were different from the OEM Sport Option parts.

I replaced the rears with the Bilsteins (94 Mustang Cobra shocks were an exact fit), but now I am experiencing some softness in the front struts - kind of a porpoising motion on undulating roads.

Can somebody clarify for me what front struts (Ford part# would be great) should be installed with the Sport Option package, and if they are still available? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1996 White Opalescent Clearcoat 4.6L LX Sport – Daily Driver
Stock – only mods are trunk struts and aftermarket stereo head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:18 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Long gone discontinued.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
If youre lucky you can find an NOS set on ebay, but Ive only seen one set like that in 2 years. I know you can have your shocks rebuilt, a hydraulic shop does it near me. Maybe you could do that.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Where is the hydraulic shop that rebuilds shocks? I have a set of konis that are leaking that have been sitting for years because I don’t know who can rebuild them.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:26 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Where is the hydraulic shop that rebuilds shocks? I have a set of konis that are leaking that have been sitting for years because I don’t know who can rebuild them.
A bunch of people rebuild Koni; there's a local shop here in Rockwood, last time I looked.

It's as expensive as a new one, if you could buy a new one.

Also, if one particular "sintered powdered metal" piece is bad, the shock is done; lack of that part was why they stopped production, and they weren't going to make more unless we bought 50 sets, as of the last time DLF and I looked into it, several years ago.

I'm guessing that's the actual valve in the shock, so...

To the OP: the only front shocks (yes, they're shocks, one bolt on each end; struts have two at one end) that will match the rears are also Bilsteins.

Read the whole thread, there are specific, custom parts that are not generally available.

This is where we are:

https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensi...nsert-diy.html

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
If youre lucky you can find an NOS set on ebay, but Ive only seen one set like that in 2 years. I know you can have your shocks rebuilt, a hydraulic shop does it near me. Maybe you could do that.

By any chance, do you have the NOS part number for the Sport Option front shocks? I can only find the part number for the replacement (softer) shocks which the dealer used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:43 PM
4th Gear Poster

If you search you can find the NOS front shock part number. Doubt you will ever find a set though. I lucked out and a member here sold a NOS set of rears to me.

If it helps 931845 is the part number for the Monroe Reflex front shocks. They are similar performance to OEM sport shocks. I was able to find a pair a few years ago, the Cougar is getting them installed this winter. It wont be easy to find those anymore either though.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:15 PM

Garage
I have the last set that existed, unless someone else is sitting on them. (No, not for sale)

They went eol years ago.

The current options are Tokico blues, from Supercoupe performance, Monroe quickstruts or equivalent, or this thread, and someone to build upper mounts.

https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensi...nsert-diy.html

Good luck. These are getting old.

Rear shocks are easier, look at the sticky in this thread.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Mikey, I'm sorry for the nonanswer to your question.

I got distracted, and forgot to give you a link.

Here's a shop in ohio; if you search Koni's site, I'm betting there's probably someone closer to you.

Truechoice Koni Racing Services

Sorry about that.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the part number for the Monroe Reflex shocks, Kenz. Do you know if it requires modification, or if it will fit as-is?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:44 PM
4th Gear Poster

The Monroe Reflex are a direct replacement. From what I know they were more of a performance shock then their other offerings. They were discontinued before I was into MN12's.

Just be careful if you try to track them down. I tried to buy a couple sets from sellers, and either get an email saying they didn't have them, or they would try and substitute Sensatracks instead.

I ended up finding my NOS set on Ebay, the auction had pictures and showed they were actually the correct ones.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:53 PM

Garage
Those shocks feel great in the winter, but you'll want something better by summer.

I kept them about two years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in