MK VIII LCA spring perches - TCCoA Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
MK VIII LCA spring perches

Does anyone still make these other than those purchase through SCP? $190 seems a bit spendy for a couple chunks of Alum.. Looked like someone was making them in Delrin a couple years ago, but the posts had dried up since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep5.0 View Post
Does anyone still make these other than those purchase through SCP? $190 seems a bit spendy for a couple chunks of Alum.. Looked like someone was making them in Delrin a couple years ago, but the posts had dried up since then.
I just used aluminum bar/cylinder stock. About 1" tall by about 3" in diameter. Ebay. Cheap. I did have to drill holes through them and buy the bolts to hold them in place.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I used nothing at all

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I used a perch torched out of a set of 89 stamped steel control arms.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan View Post
Quote:
I just used aluminum bar/cylinder stock.
About 1" tall by about 3" in diameter. Ebay. Cheap. I did have to drill holes through them and buy the bolts to hold them in place.
Seems like that would be just as good as the perches and not that tough to do. Thanks for the tip 👍
MaddMartigan and CDsDontBurn like this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Dumb question here guys:

What's the difference between spring perches and spring isolators? Or is it the same thing with an interchangeable term?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:33 PM
Irv
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
Dumb question here guys:

What's the difference between spring perches and spring isolators? Or is it the same thing with an interchangeable term?
The white UHMW inverted mushroom cap is the perch. The black poly ring is the isolator. The underside of the perch has a nub that fits in the hole at the bottom of the Mark VIII LCA.

20170703_183929_HDR_1080.jpg
20180919_164721_1080.jpg
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:05 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
$8 each, thread for a bolt.

Use a steel bolt. Aluminum is too soft, lol.

https://www.mcmaster.com/1610t19

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:59 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I used nothing at all
They pretty much just center the spring, right? Not really needed as the spring is never loose enough to walk around inside the control arm?

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:28 PM

Garage
I wasn't comfortable with that, I used aluminum pucks.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
The white UHMW inverted mushroom cap is the perch. The black poly ring is the isolator. The underside of the perch has a nub that fits in the hole at the bottom of the Mark VIII LCA.

Attachment 34165
Attachment 34167
So based on this new info, I only have isolators and no perches. So I'll need to get isolators as well then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
$8 each, thread for a bolt.

Use a steel bolt. Aluminum is too soft, lol.

https://www.mcmaster.com/1610t19
So this will work just fine then? I'd imagine they'd have to be drilled / tapped to have a bolt fit?

Are there any perches available that are "ready to go" that don't cost an arm and a leg? UHMW mentioned by Irv?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:26 PM

Garage
They were expensive enough I did aluminum, lol. >$100.

I also tried an aluminum bolt, and that was hilarious.
The spring mashed ot off like toothpaste, as I jacked up the arm. I have one left, it weighs about 10grams, vs 30 for steel.
Luckily, I ordered steel at the same time.

I bought the bolts, tap, and pucks for ~$30 total.

Hey, did you ever hear back from Bilstein?

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hmmm.....looks like I need to add perches to my suspension build.

And no, I've not heard back from Bilstein. I'd settle for Tokicos at this point in time. At the same time though, I've been waiting for MadMartigan to finish his [awesome] build so we can start chatting on potential solutions alternative to Bilstein.

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:59 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
They pretty much just center the spring, right? Not really needed as the spring is never loose enough to walk around inside the control arm?
Yes, without perches the springs naturally sit in the outer edges of the cups rather than dead center in them. It’s not a functional issue however, and they cannot move even at full droop with the suspension assembled. Perches IMO are a waste of money and just make installing springs over them more difficult. Urethane Cobra isolators fully compensate the ride height, which is really the only purpose custom perches truly served.
Woodman and Air2Mud like this.

-Matt
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:43 AM

Garage
Matt is right; there's no way these can come out.

I was worried about them shifting under heavy cornering, so I went as cheap as possible.
Kinda a "belt and suspenders" thing, lol.

It still blows my mind that the lower shock bolt takes all the stress from a 'General Lee' moment.
I've had a few of those in Lazarus.
Woodman likes this.

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Hmmm.....looks like I need to add perches to my suspension build.

And no, I've not heard back from Bilstein. I'd settle for Tokicos at this point in time. At the same time though, I've been waiting for MadMartigan to finish his [awesome] build so we can start chatting on potential solutions alternative to Bilstein.
This was my next question for my build...I really don't want to put Monroe Sensacrap on a nice suspension setup. Are there really no other solutions? I see you can get KYB, but sounds like they are junk. I thought they used to be a reputable company with good products. Sounds like they are worse than stock replacements. And with lowering the car 1.5", I'd think something more in line with that usable travel, would be better anyway.

Are there any other applications that are similar enough, such as Cobra rears, for instance? I see Bill over at SCP has coil over set-ups, but them you have to buy springs to suit. Can't say i feel the need to spend over $1500 for a spring/shock set-up on a mostly Street car.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:34 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I saw some Tokico's for 99 Cobra Mustang listed on Ebay for $118 a pair. There are also Koni adjustable.
Read ya later, Nick
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
This was my next question for my build...I really don't want to put Monroe Sensacrap on a nice suspension setup. Are there really no other solutions? I see you can get KYB, but sounds like they are junk. I thought they used to be a reputable company with good products. Sounds like they are worse than stock replacements. And with lowering the car 1.5", I'd think something more in line with that usable travel, would be better anyway.

Are there any other applications that are similar enough, such as Cobra rears, for instance? I see Bill over at SCP has coil over set-ups, but them you have to buy springs to suit. Can't say i feel the need to spend over $1500 for a spring/shock set-up on a mostly Street car.
Read this thread:

https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensi...nsert-diy.html

And this one:

https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensi...ers-front.html

The last problem we have is finding another insert, as Bilstein has likely discoed the insert for the Mitsu3k.

I've been looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
I saw some Tokico's for 99 Cobra Mustang listed on Ebay for $118 a pair. There are also Koni adjustable.
Read ya later, Nick
Only specific shocks for certain mustangs will work for the Rear only.
Mustangs have struts in the front, and they're not inserts like our koni's were.

I think I bought the last set of konis WBW; DLF and I tried to buy another set, but they were gone.

At the time, they told us we'd need 50 people to buy sets to get them made again.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
KYB will work. I'd put them somewhere between Monroe / Gabriel and Tokico Blues. For what I want to do, the KYBs are not what I want. If KYB had their AGX series available for our cars, I'd jump on those.

Quote:
That's why I'm not getting his coil-over setup. Just the front two alone is more than half of what I've already spent for suspension already!

Quote:
At the time, they told us we'd need 50 people to buy sets to get them made again.
There's at least two guys on the FB TCCoA page that are interested in something better than stock replacements. Not sure if they're in this thread posting or not. You and I @Grog6 , make two more. We just need 46 more!
Grog6 and Zep5.0 like this.

post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Read through those threads. Basically scared of doing anything like that. Just about 💯 I'll screw something up, if inserts can even be found.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:20 PM

Garage
Dude; it's not that hard.

Remove the guts by cutting, hacksaw or dremel tool.

Bolt in insert, add springs, you're done.

It took like 2 hours to do.

What is special is that the ones that fit are disco, the Tbird ones, and the diameter of the shaft is different requiring alterations to the existing top insulator, as shown.

MM made me a set, and if I want to go to the ultra expensive Koni double adjustable shocks, they'll fit.

This is Not rocket science, I do that, and IT's hard.

I had a chance to take Lazarus and the Tbird up the mountain yesterday, and the konis are Way better than the tokicos; even after all they've been thru.

The konis track this one section, where the tokicos just bounce. I'm glad I did the konis first there; I'd have been to scared to hit it like that after the tbird run, lol.
Eating a rock wall is not my idea of fun.
CDsDontBurn and Zep5.0 like this.

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Definitely not hard to do. The only thing I know I'll need will be the "top hat" to be made by MM. If I had a spring compressor I'd install it all myself.

post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
So it seems the Bilsteins are still available. Any reason NOT to just buy these and do this? https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-34-0.../dp/B009FU5ZBU
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:52 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
“Usually ships within 1 to 3 months.”

Ask cdsdontburn how many months he’s waited.

-Matt
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Dang - didn't see Months, saw it as days, since that is usually what I see there...the search continues. Was hoping i had good news for everyone!
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:

Here, I'll just show everyone how long I've been waiting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Summit - Bilstein.jpg (122.0 KB, 5 views)

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Here, I'll just show everyone how long I've been waiting.
My lawyer wouldn't approve of this but...I hope I have some good news. I contacted a truck spring/shock shop of all places after finding they sold them online. Received an email back... Here it is.

Seth,

We currently do not have the 34-050224 in stock. I checked with Bilstein and
these are on backorder until mid-late June. Please let me know if you have
any questions or if I can be of any assistance.

Thank you,

Dave Anderson
Michigan Truck Spring
www.TruckSpring.com
1-800-358-4751
989-755-0561

Now, thinking I want to buy from them since they made the call for me, but wondering if I ordered from say Summit, would that ensure delivery, or make it more probable? Thoughts?
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 12:54 AM

Garage
No one will have these until Bilstein makes more; it may not happen at all, based on my experiences with Koni.

It's not like they give a fuck about us, lol.

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:50 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
No one will have these until Bilstein makes more; it may not happen at all, based on my experiences with Koni.

It's always a numbers thing. The cost to setup the tooling to make that type of insert has to have enough demand to make it worth the time/effort. If they can't make money off it, no sense doing it.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:

Lol, true true. But if you could all go order a set, that'd be great, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in