4Likes
  • 1 Post By 97 30th
  • 1 Post By Grog6
  • 1 Post By CDsDontBurn
  • 1 Post By tbird52102

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Performance front suspension parts?

Hello all, my name is chris. I’m fairly new to posting on tccoa but been lurking around here for years lol. Wondering if there have been any discoveries/solutions over the past few years as far as performance front suspension parts goes. I’ve been doing some research n think I got the bushings covered. Supercoupe performance has bushing kits I believe but would love to find a set of DLF bushings. Just looking to see if there are any better options than oem control arms/tie rods/end links etc. I’m looking to do a complete suspension overhaul ( front and rear ). I've read that I can go with Mark VIII rear lowers but not sure if I can do the uppers as well in the back. I’m sure this has all been covered before and I apologize in advance if this a repetitive question. Maybe I’m not typing the “ right” search criteria. I did come across s4gunn’s suspension thread n there is a ton of valuable info in there. Gunna go back n reread to see if I missed anything and continue searching other related threads .

Ps- It’ll be for a daily driver with the occasional 1/4 mile appearance.

97 tbird - 3.73 gears, sct tune, SCP C.A.I., Flowmaster series 10 exhaust.
"Work in progress"- 2002 explorer motor swap with kooks headers and 04 mercury marauder TC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:26 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Bushings and arms no. All there is are shocks(albeit very limited) springs and Addco front sway bars. Luckily, unlike older Mustangs with huge selection of upgrade components, our front ends have pretty good geometry and adjustability stock.

-Matt
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Figured it would be a shot in the dark that a company might’ve start producing some of the other suspension parts but I guess not on a 20+yr old car. Thanks for the quick reply btw. In that case, I’ll just get the car to run/handle like it should for now plus the addition of bushings( hopefully I can find a set of DLF’s) , beefier sway-bars, and shocks as you mentioned. That QA1 shock looks like a nice piece but a lil too pricey for me rt now. I’ll prob end up with tokico blues up front and bilstein or koni’s in the rear if I can find either of the two. That should be a descent setup right? TIA, Chris.

"Work in progress"- 2002 explorer motor swap with kooks headers and 04 mercury marauder TC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:50 AM
PostWhore

If you find a set of Tokico Blues from a vendor that isn't SCP, let me know. I'm in the market for a set of those after the whole Bilstein debacle (see the last few pages of my suspension thread ). Otherwise, the best "performance" shocks up front right now are the KYB Excel-G units. Really, they're not anything performance, they're just a notch better than Monroe or Gabriel units but not as good as the Tokico Blues from my understanding. I have more to say, but that's for another thread / discussion .

As for the rears, you can get Bilstein units, Bilstein PN: 24-185974. They're for 99-04 Cobra convertibles, IIRC, but work for our cars no problem.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I have tried all three. Still prefer Gabriel ultra if you can find them. I have a set of never been used from kyb struts and two rear shocks I tested out. If you want them let me know.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up cdsdontburn. Im all for the info lol. As for the tokicos, I’m gunna be doin some more research and calling vendors over the weekend to see if they have anything left over. Hopefully I’ll post back with good news lol.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:12 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcortinas View Post
I have tried all three. Still prefer Gabriel ultra if you can find them. I have a set of never been used from kyb struts and two rear shocks I tested out. If you want them let me know.
I can vouch for the Ultras. Much better than the kyb's. I still need to get my fronts on
RalphP likes this.

You can't fix stupid
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:59 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I've used those (Gabriel Ultra); they're great for about three years, but only with the Std. v8 springs; sport springs will kill them in about a year or less.

The Monroe Sensa-Traks lasted for less than a year.

The gabriels are still on the Red Cougar, but it hasn't been driven in 10 years. (Engine swap hell)
RalphP likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:36 PM
PostWhore

Yea, mine will be lowered so I'll need something better than Monroe, Gabriel, or KYB units. There were some Bilsteins available for a Mitsubishi 3000GT that were working with our MN12, but those have been discontinued as well (see suspension thread in my sig). So we are now, for those of us looking for performance options like myself, left trying to figure something out that will work in a custom setup / application. There are the QA1s that have been mentioned here (and elsewhere), but hardly anyone is willing to spend $1,500 on those things.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
Yea, mine will be lowered so I'll need something better than Monroe, Gabriel, or KYB units. There were some Bilsteins available for a Mitsubishi 3000GT that were working with our MN12, but those have been discontinued as well (see suspension thread in my sig). So we are now, for those of us looking for performance options like myself, left trying to figure something out that will work in a custom setup / application. There are the QA1s that have been mentioned here (and elsewhere), but hardly anyone is willing to spend $1,500 on those things.
I once suggested this jokingly, but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7D05B365-38D6-4E13-888E-C08B5E6E2085.jpeg (54.4 KB, 9 views)

-Matt
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:24 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I once suggested this jokingly, but...
That's a truck. But, I missed that post where it was jokingly suggested.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:44 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

Yes I know, a Ram to be exact I would have posted it one of the many threads on the subject of alternate solutions to what’s available. A generic auxiliary shock outside the underdamped coilover to add stiffness. Add long bolt or standoff here, mount a top pivot there and BAM! Cheap and dirty stiff front end!

-Matt
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 PM
PostWhore

Gotcha. Would our suspension have the room for it to happen though?

And, that may work for some people, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist / OCD, so something like that would probably bug the shit out of me.
Grog6 likes this.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I’m still up in the air on which setup to go with but thanks for the offer. How’d you like the Kyb struts up front with rear shocks( kyb im assuming)?

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Quote:

Yes I know, a Ram to be exact I would have posted it one of the many threads on the subject of alternate solutions to what’s available. A generic auxiliary shock outside the underdamped coilover to add stiffness. Add long bolt or standoff here, mount a top pivot there and BAM! Cheap and dirty stiff front end!
See I wish I had the knowledge and gahunas to do custom stuff like this. That’s what I call thinkin outside the box. Good stuff man.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:00 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird52102 View Post
See I wish I had the knowledge and gahunas to do custom stuff like this. That’s what I call thinkin outside the box. Good stuff man.
I don't have the experience or tooling to build custom stuff, but plenty of our members here have both. I've reached out to one and he's going to help me out with something.

For the time being, I'm making a spreadsheet of various cars and hoping I could find one of their performance aftermarket shocks / struts that can be modified to fit our vehicle. It's a short list at the moment, but there are two cars (not the Mitsubish 3000GT) that are more-or-less spot on in terms of front end weight in comparison to our cars. I'm still looking up other vehicles from other platforms. From there, I'll see what aftermarket suspension manufacturers have available that we could potentially use in our cars in a very similar fashion as the 3000GT insert was used in our cars.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

[quote=CDsDontBurn;2049663]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2049657[QUOTE
I don't have the experience or tooling to build custom stuff, but plenty of our members here have both. I've reached out to one and he's going to help me out with something.

For the time being, I'm making a spreadsheet of various cars and hoping I could find one of their performance aftermarket shocks / struts that can be modified to fit our vehicle. It's a short list at the moment, but there are two cars (not the Mitsubish 3000GT) that are more-or-less spot on in terms of front end weight in comparison to our cars. I'm still looking up other vehicles from other platforms. From there, I'll see what aftermarket suspension manufacturers have available that we could potentially use in our cars in a very similar fashion as the 3000GT insert was used in our cars.
That’s a great idea. Looks like you got a nice well thought out plan. That’d def be a custom/unique setup if it were compatible or close enough to make work.

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 06-01-2019 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote for you! :)
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:56 PM
PostWhore

Sneak peek!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MN12 Weight.jpg (10.7 KB, 11 views)

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sneak peek!
lookin good man. It’ll be like finding gold if you find a match lol. Maybe the tech guys at the shock manufacturer can give some help/insight on some alternatives. Maybe they can point you in the right direction with a possible match?

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 PM
PostWhore

Click the link in my sig, "Suspension Rebuild". Go to last page for recent update. Read through it for cool info.

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Wow, great info in there. Got a few of my questions on suspension parts answered already. Gunna finish reading it tm. Thanks for the pointer btw.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird52102 View Post
Quote:
I’m still up in the air on which setup to go with but thanks for the offer. How’d you like the Kyb struts up front with rear shocks( kyb im assuming)?

Monroe to bouncy, kyb better, ultra firmer ride. I have the vogtland 3/4 drop all around. I added bags inside the spring to stop rubbing on fender in the rear.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:12 AM
PostWhore

Monroe Ultra is currently available with Rock Auto and Amazon, it appears.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in