Extra Rear Subframe Support - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Extra Rear Subframe Support

I am in the process of doing the IRS build up as posted on MN12Performance.com and am just dreaming here but I wanted to get you guy's opinion as to if you think this will work.
Currently is only have 4 bolts holding our rear subframe to the car. It has been told to me by countless people, anything over about 600 ft*lbs of torque is going to rip the rear subframe and the four bolts out of the car.
Here is my thinking. I am thinking of fabbing up a four more anchor points to the frame of the car by using the bushings off another subframe from an MN12. This will give me an 8 bolt anchor system instead of 4. The places I am thinking of mounting them is right above the rear upper control arm on the top of the subframe thru the trunk(with extra supporting back there) and extend the other two forward to the front of the car, about 1.5-2 ft in front of the front mounts of the subframe.
I am working on a motor application that will need this support. Do you guys think this will help do what I want it to do?

'97 Limited Edition Thunder Bird
JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Koni infinite adjustables
Xenon Ground Effects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:27 PM

Bump

Sorry, no useful advice, but I was considering doing the same buildup and am interested in your idea.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I am still in the process of the build up on the IRS. I am working on some additional bracing to the control arm brackets.
When I finish this project, then I am planning on then working on the additional anchors for the subframe to the chassis.
I was wanting to get some ideas from anyone hom had ever thought about doing or has done this before.

Fusion, PM me your email address and I will send you some pics of what i end up doing.

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:03 PM

I pm'd you 2x, the first one i did through the window linked out of hotmail and i dont think it went through.

BUMP, come on guys, someone has to have an opinion on this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:06 PM

mn12performance has a new IRS Pinion brace. They claim it will eliminate HWH. It's $225 + $10 shipping.

68COUGAR
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I have seen the pinion brace from mn12performance. Rich has done a very nice job on it.
I plan on fabricating a brace similar to that of a pinoin brace but with twice or three time the support for the control arm brackets.

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:32 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Slippy103 Send a message via Yahoo to Slippy103
with the kind of power that your talking about i want to know what your going to to about the halfshafts. With over 600 ft/lb of torque i can see those breaking easily before the subframe gets ripped out. Especially if you run slicks and hook up real nice a few times. Also did you plan on an auto or manual

1996 Thunderbird LX: Current Project

1975 Corvette Stingray: 350 V8, TH350

2004 Dodge Dakota
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Horse power isn't what breaks the half shafts. Torque is what will break them if your rear end starts to flex and induces the suspension into wheel hop.
The purpose of the extra rear sub frame support is to anchor the sub frame to the unibody preventing it from flexing. The flexing that occurs from the torque is from the action of the sub frame trying to lift the car off the ground by rotating it on the back wheels under a sudden acceleration. Our stock set up is very weak. Under heavy acceleration, our sub frame tries to pick the front end of the car up, but the mounting brackets to the control arms flex causing the lower control arms to start "dancing" thus inducing wheel hop.
By completely reinforcing the sub frame at the mounting brackets so they will be unable to flex will keep the control arms stable. Thus as the sub frame is reinforced, more torque can be applied to the rear end. To keep the sub frame, itself, from flexing, additional connection points need to be added between the sub frame and the unibody.
I am also changing to the GKN axels. I am in the process of trying to set up a group purchase on these axels.
I am shooting for the range of 800+ Ft*lbs of torque.

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:04 AM
5th Gear Poster

Have you started fab yet? Any pics?

95-5spd SC and a few others, TCCoA, SCCoA, Fordbastards, Motorsport Ranch (MSR)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I have started fabrication on the subframe itself. I am currently giving the subframe more internal strucure and I was planning on finishing this part up last week, but work has prevented me from that.
I haven't taken any pics yet due to the design being updated every time i work on it. When finish up with this part, I'll get some pictures posted up.

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 11:56 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Slippy103 Send a message via Yahoo to Slippy103
I am very interested in this halfshaft purchase. I've got a high power engine project in the works and axles are one of my concerns. Keep us informed on that purchase. Do you have any more info or a link or something on these halfshafts

1996 Thunderbird LX: Current Project

1975 Corvette Stingray: 350 V8, TH350

2004 Dodge Dakota
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Unfortunately I have gotten no response in approval or unapproval of the purchase from the moderator for Group Purchases.
Untill I can get a yes or no, I do not want to spend a lot of time getting it together for no reason. The only info I have gathered so far I have listed on a this link
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...threadid=33566
There is one change, The price of the shafts may be a little higher than I had originally been posted.
As soon as I get a response, I will move forward from there and let every one know what the deal is.

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 02:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Slowpoke
I had contacted GKN when they started producing half shafts for the Cobra and lincoln LS...After awhile communication was just lost..Thier Cobra shafts are nice quality and worth the price. Now those shafts with 31 spline end for the differential would be great..Keep us informed:O)

Going for broke!!!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 09:04 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

I'll give approval for the GP on the halfshafts.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 01:16 AM

Any updates or pics yet?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I am getting closer and closer to finishing it up. I have the control arm mount braces welded on and have almost completed a upgraded pinion brace. Mine will have six points of connection unlike the four point connection on retail pinion braces offered for cobras and tbirds.
I have a race engineer buddy of mine looking at it Monday(3/8) to see if there are any more improvents I can make.
Next is the fabrication of the upgraded rear tortional brace. This will have four points of connection unlike the two points of connection being sold.
I have welded and cut off things several times, so I don't want to post anything yet until the finished product. Anything I have done so far is subject to change. As soon as I get something I know for sure I am not changing, I will post pics.

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

update?

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I am kind of at a stand still at the moment. I am going with a new set of GKN axels and I am trying to get the larger 18 point cv joint axels to fit, but with out having them, I don't know what the demensions are. I also just spent the last few weeks trying to get the nightmare of a KVR brake system on my car and working for the Autofair in Charlotte NC this past week end; the back brakes are still not working right so I still have work to do on them to even get the car drivable.
I have got the front subframe bracing complete and will have the rear bracing finished up hopefully by the weekend, but untill I get the axels, I will not have the project fully completed untill they come in.

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Here are some pics of what I have done so far. The bracing I have added is going to have to be modified due to the new GKN axles may car is going to get.
The pinion style brace is complete but I do not have picture of it on the subframe yet. The rear tortional brace is still in the process of being made. The delay of not having the axels has put me a little behind on completeing this project. It is just a work in progress.

http://members.tccoa.com/fordthunder...20000_0068.jpg
http://members.tccoa.com/fordthunder...20000_0070.jpg

JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Xenon Ground Effects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in