shocks and sway bars - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
shocks and sway bars

ok....tokiko blue shocks with the addco street sport package.....opinions on this...im looking for the best setup to be run with the stock springs on this car as i feel lowering it does look good but is not what im looking for...so basically im looking for stiff dampeners....i had tokiko shocks on my old bird and they were extreamly stiff and lasted over 80k withoutfalure or problems

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
no one has any other ideas on this?..like kyb's vs tokikos....or such?

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:28 PM

Well I have Bilsteins with ST lowering springs on my car and love them. timb has Bilsteins on his stock springs on his and loves them. For what I wanted and after consulting many who had different combo's. I decided on the Bilsteins. More money but I am very happy with the choice. timb described the handling of my car after the shocks and springs in my car as "european" Stiff and responsive like driving a sports car. My vote would be Bisteins, but there is a major $$ difference between them and the Tokikos. Good luck with you decison!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I think the major problem with asking for shock advice is that very few people have had multiple kinds of shocks in the same car, so they can say what they like, but can't compare them to other options.

I have Bilsteins and absolutely love them, but I've never had Konis or Tokiko's in the T-Bird to compare them to.

As for bars, what are you looking for. I have been running the stock front bar with the smallest AADCO bar. It's a pretty good matchup, although the front is a little looser than the read, but it's the cheapest way to get a good feel.

I'm in the process of adding a little power to my bird and opted to upgrade to the biggest sway bar. With what I'm gonna end up with power wise, I can't afford to have any body roll at all.

The other thing to consider is launch at the dragstrip, if that is important to you. The stiffer the bars, the slower the launch. The car will not 'set' on the rear suspension as well with the stiffer bars. In my case I opted to give up a bit of launch to keep the car a bit tamer for the street.

But I'm keeping the Bilsteins.... sorry guys they ain't for sale. But the small rear bar will be...

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
well im not as worried about the drag strip as you but im probably going with the front and rear swaybar pakcage...i will also brace my chassis like crazy......i want subframe connectors

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 11:50 AM
4th Gear Poster

From what I understand, KYB shocks are a very slight step above OEM with ALL cars. I have only owned a dodge neon, and honda CRX. Such comments have held true for both. Thus is why they are fairly cheap. I had them on my 87 crx, and they were just fine for the driving I was doing. Decently stiff. They never gave me any problems. In fact, I am considering installing them on my 3.8L n/a, until my job situation stabalizes. My car is in need of some suspension help.

Everyday of my life is a constant fight, between wrong and right.

When there is no grass on the field, go around back and play in the mud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in