Best suspension for 100mph+ - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to chrisnack
Best suspension for 100mph+

Curious as to thoughts from others on how to beef up the suspension to handle my autocross and other track events.

I'm gonna try and get all the KB braces on before the season starts, I'm more concerned with my suspension this year than the engine.

I have a race in June where I'll be hitting 100mph+ many times, so curious as to what you guys think should be beefed up?

If all goes well, I'll have my 17x9 Cobra R's. STB, RTLB, hopefully the 1-1/4 or 1-3/8 front and rear bars. And then I was thinking about the other front braces as well.

My harness and racing should be in there possibly by then as well, we'll see. Harness for sure, I slid around too much last year. But not sure on the seat yet. That will kill my "stock" look.

NSN Motorsports
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com
"Fordless" - But I do have alot of Mercon V laying around...
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Parts ---> Dan Newman - Town & Country Ford - 800-847-2047
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
I'd be more concerned with the drive train at 100+ mph. At the very least, upgrading to poly bushings and a solid tranny mount to keep drive train movement at a minimum. Getting a Mark VIII ds would probably also be a good temporary safety measure, unless you've got a MMX DS in the works already.

I'm nothing even close to resembling an expert, but at the times I have hit 100+ in my car, I was more worried about the extreme vibration that I experienced than the suspension. The stock LX suspension seems okay at those speeds in a straight line, but I'm not too sure about maneuverability. The standard stuff should be okay, something low to the ground with a good, stiff chassis, shocks and springs and you'll be fine. BUt like I said.. I'd be more worried about the drive train.

1994 SC 5-Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2253560
1996 4.6L R.I.P December 02, 2004
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560841
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoLXBird

I'm nothing even close to resembling an expert, but at the times I have hit 100+ in my car, I was more worried about the extreme vibration that I experienced than the suspension.
I don't have any problems at 100 or so. No vibration. Smooth as if i was doing 80.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Chassis braces are a good place to start. A good foundation is essential to a car's predictability at high speeds. I would look into upgrading the driveshaft as a safety measure. It sounds like you should be alright with the other mods that you posted.

Russell

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:36 PM
PostWhore

I'd suggest getting a set of Koni or Bilstein shocks under there as well, if you plan on doing those type of events on a regular basis. And also the best tires you can afford to put on those new wheels.

I have Konis in my car now (had the SC electronic replacement Tokico Illumina 2s before, they went soft pretty quickly) ... car works pretty well at the open-track events I've been at the last few years, well over 100 mph at Mosport and Watkins Glen. Mine also has the stock front SC stab. bar, early style SC rear bar, Eibach springs.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by fast Ed N
And also the best tires you can afford to put on those new wheels.

Oh, you don't ever have to worry about me on that one. I run strickly summer tires in the summer. Snows in the winter.

I'm looking at well over $500 for my new set of summer tires. I'm looking at getting a set of Eagle F1's, or maybe Potenzas, haven't decided yet. But either way, close to $180/tire.

From my experience, there is a MASSIVE difference in the quality of tires, and the especially the performance of the tires. Besides, it's your ONLY contact with the road, all the power in the world does you no good if you can't hook up.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 AM
PostWhore

The latest version of the GY Eagle F1 tires are awesome performers ... you can't go wrong with those. I have the previous generation Goodyears on my street wheels, 255-45-18 Eagle F1 GS D2 ... they are made in Germany, I think the new D3 version is as well. The Bridgestone S-03 tires are nice too, I don't think they have quite as much dry grip as the Goodyears. On the track, I run some used Hoosier Grand-Am Cup 275-40-17 DOT race radials, on 03 Cobra wheels.

As you get into it more, you may want to consider looking at the Cobra brake upgrade as well. I had the Mark VIII / 4.6 Sport pkg. 11.6" brakes on mine for a few years, they weren't bad on the track. But with the 13" rotors, the braking is fantastic now. I did 7 track days this summer, and the rotors are still perfect. Two sets of front pads killed though !! The drawback of course is that you need to switch back for the winter, or get a set of 17" winter wheels and tires. I didn't do the 13s on mine until it became a summer-only car.

Good luck, have fun this summer !!

cheers
Ed N.

Last edited by fast Ed; 01-21-2004 at 11:43 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 10:01 PM

What kind of harness setup are you going with? I'd want a 5 or 6 point harness, and you'll need a roll bar behind your seats to mount those properly.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 06:50 PM
Veteran Poster

Get the alignment changed too. Most high speed cars have more caster for stability. Firm suspension is a must.
Read up on it is my best suggestion.

The way my car is now it is like butter at 100+ but it hugs the road so you don't get that feeling of float at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in