Thump/Rattle from front over bumps. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thump/Rattle from front over bumps.

I am looking for someone that possibly has experienced this concern and could provide me a fix for this issue. My car is a 1994 3.8L LX T-bird, with 156000 miles. Recently , (within the last 3 months), when hitting several bumps in succession I get a repetitive "heavy" sounding thumping/rattling from what seems to be the steering gear area of my car. In other words, it appears to come from the center of the car, just under the engine.
I have replaced the struts and their upper mounts, the bushings on both ends of the strut rod that attaches the lower control arm to the subframe, the sway bar links, both upper control arms, both motor mounts. Stepping on the brake when the noise is present makes no difference. The lower control arm inner bushings, (the ones used to adjust the alignment), and the rack bushings look very good. There is no shimmy in the steering wheel at any time, so that proves out the rack and lower arm bushings. I have also removed the air intake silencer and verified the carbon cannister is not loose.

TCCoA members, any thoughts??? Please advise, Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 04:51 AM
PostWhore

I think I have the same noise ... I would love to see this mystery solved. I hadn't thought of the carbon canister ... maybe I should check that on my car. You know, from the list you gave, I think all that's left is the tie rods and the lower control arms. Maybe those have a problem that's not obvious. Oh, and maybe the front subframe bolts need checked for tightness. If you learn of the true cause, please post again so I will know too!

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Poster

I replaced my upper / lower arms, shocks and mounts, end links. All the noises went away, 'cept for latley I hear a rattle / knock at ilde in Drive comming from the front,
I am thinking it is a engine mount. it is worse when it is cold. I will check the sub frame bolts as per above post. and the rack. It sounds like something is very close to something else (LOL) and sometimes making intermittent contact at idle or driving slowly on my dirt driveway.

Rich

T-Birds: 1996 lx sport, 1995 lx 4.6
2002 Crown Vic LX Sport, 2006 Mustang GT
1991 F-250 LXT Lariet Diesel
Projects:
1966 Ltd 2dor, 352 4V, 1965 glaxie 500, 390 4V
1970 XR7, 351C 4V
1976 Corvette, 1960 Ranchero
An Original Curbster and Pround Member of The Curb. The Curb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:06 AM
PostWhore

I have a rattle from the front of my SC. I think it is coming from the strut rod to lower controll arm area. It looks like that bushing is toast.

Chris
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Poster

96bullittgt,

I had the same noise, It sounds like a muffled knock with some bass to it. I would get it over most bumps but the small ones like expasion joints in parking lots would do it. I Changed the "end links" first but still had the noise, then replaced the upper, lower arms, shocks & upper mounts and the noise went away, no suspension noise still over any bumps. I still have not replaced the strut rod bushing and tie-rod ends, I really should get my *** in gear and replace those too but my 70 XR7 takes most of my time and $$ and the galaxies as well. The noise I hear now is different, I listend to it last night and it sound like its coming from the tranmission area and I can hear it best from inside the car and it only does it at idle in drive, in reverse there is nosie. this sounds like lug nuts in a two liter bottle wrapped in duck tape but random, like a bad drum solo. ? but it goes away after it has warmed up and driven for 'bout 1/2 hour. I'm stumped. maybe a bad mount??? eng. or trans or all of them?? none have beeb replaced.

96bullittgt, I would think new lower arms will solve the noises for your T-Bird.

I love my Thunderbird, just wish it had a sun roof.

Oh yeah. Sub frame bolts?? where are they??

Ritchie

T-Birds: 1996 lx sport, 1995 lx 4.6
2002 Crown Vic LX Sport, 2006 Mustang GT
1991 F-250 LXT Lariet Diesel
Projects:
1966 Ltd 2dor, 352 4V, 1965 glaxie 500, 390 4V
1970 XR7, 351C 4V
1976 Corvette, 1960 Ranchero
An Original Curbster and Pround Member of The Curb. The Curb
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:36 AM

try the frame to body mounts , i had the same sound replaced both lower and upper control arms and the sound was there , until i gave them a good tigthening , there are two in each side in the from

note the car has to be leveled or you will end up with sounds coming from your interior trust me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 09:31 PM
PostWhore

I NEVER would have thought of that. Dont ask why but I just never would have. It sounds like a good thing to check though.

Chris
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 07:56 PM

Hey guys! I had the same problem from the day I drove my brand new 96 home from the dealer. This heavy metal clunk from the front when you go over a bump. Even a small one caused a disgusting sound from the front end. The guys at the dealership did everything. Sometime I dropped it off and I wouldn't make the sound for two or three days ( at least until the second I pulled out). They tore the suspension apart. Put it back to gether. New Bump stops. All kinds of crap. Till one day I pulled into the garage at the dealer when I sounded bad. One of the mechanics was rocking the drivers side door to try to make the noise when another mechanic walked by the front end. He heard it. He crawls underneath the front and pop back up. They tell me to open the hood. The guys a blob of grease on the hood latch and that was it! That was all it took. But i'll tell ya, it cost them alot of money to find it!
Every once in a while if i'm working alot I dropped my car off a one of those quick lube places right up the street from my job. Every time i do the guys wipes of my grease blob......and the clank comes back.
Just a thought.....

Have a good one guys.
Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in