THE poll on lowering springs - TCCoA Forums
View Poll Results: What do your springs feel like?
stiff going straight and over bumps, stiff in the corners 12 54.55%
soft going straight and kinda bouncy, stiff in the corners 7 31.82%
soft going straight and in the corners 1 4.55%
Bagged 2 9.09%
Hydros 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

THE poll on lowering springs

Vote for what your springs feel like, then list what brand, linear or progressive, and what shocks you've got.

I have progressive Eibach springs with Tokico blue shocks. Mine are pretty nice going straight, but it bounces a little too much when I go over bumps. When I take corners it's amazing. The car has no wheel hop when it hits a bump around a corner, it just goes over it like it was nothing. That's what I like best about the progressive spring.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner

Last edited by Thomas; 01-29-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Mine feels great. My setup feels better (better ride) than the sport springs that were on there before. I don't think that it is b/c of the springs though. I got bilstein shocks and that is what made the difference. The ride is great with no bounce. I have given some of my friends a ride that have lowered ponycars, and they can't believe that it is even lowered. They even have the minimum drop for their respective cars (about 1 in.). None of them have Bilsteins yet though (notice i said yet). Sorry for pouring the Bilstein pitch that a lot of people give but its very true. You need an option that says it rides better than stock, no bounce, and nice and stiff through the corners. I like the intial turn-in that the linear springs have and they soak up bumps as good as my progressive springs did.

Russell

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Yeah I think I'll be upgrading to the bilsteins when I get the money for it. The price is what drew me towards the Tokico's but the praise the Bilsteins get makes me want to spend the money on them.
-Thomas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
as my sig states, i have eibach v6 springs and kyb gr2's. stiff every which direction, but pretty much worth it for the better handling...especially when i have my 245-60-15's on during the non-winter months.

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
stock sport suspsension is like night and day vs lx...i plan on doing addco swaybars and kenny brown chassis bracing....and maybe custom subframe connectors....all on tokiko blues....the stiff ride sucks but i like the corner of them...they made me lx feel nimble

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeyICU
stock sport suspsension is like night and day vs lx...i plan on doing addco swaybars and kenny brown chassis bracing....and maybe custom subframe connectors....all on tokiko blues....the stiff ride sucks but i like the corner of them...they made me lx feel nimble
I wouldn't mind losing just a little streetability if it meant I got great handling. That's why I think I'll get the swaybars and stb's. I'm not for sure about the chassis bracing. I'd probably do that more for better launching than handling. But the handling improvement is a plus too.
-Thomas

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
id lower my car on eibachs but my friend has that and envies my sport springs b/c his cae wil bottom out and will also have a little more trouble on backroads....so im stick sport springs probably....if there was a spring that droped the car .75 and was about the same stiffness id buy those....buttttt i dont think there is

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 10:01 AM

Air ride here. Cylinders in the front and bags in the back. 1 5 gal tank and a 3 gal tank. 8-3/8" SMC valves and 2 Viair 450 compressors all ran with stainless steel hardlines and 10 switches. Sway bars removed and drag blocks on the bottom. Surprisenly, the air ride when inflated about half way makes for a very smooth ride
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeyICU
id lower my car on eibachs but my friend has that and envies my sport springs b/c his cae wil bottom out and will also have a little more trouble on backroads....so im stick sport springs probably....if there was a spring that droped the car .75 and was about the same stiffness id buy those....buttttt i dont think there is
There was that group purchase for 1" drop springs that are linear and stiffer than sport springs.

Thunderchicken94, How does that car handle the turns? I can't imagine it being very good.

-Thomas

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

Thunderchicken94, How does that car handle the turns? I can't imagine it being very good.

-Thomas
Really, It hasn't changed much from the lowering springs. Of course I don't race it but for regular driving it's pretty good
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Poster

Ditto

Quote:
I have progressive Eibach springs with Tokico blue shocks. Mine are pretty nice going straight, but it bounces a little too much when I go over bumps. When I take corners it's amazing. The car has no wheel hop when it hits a bump around a corner, it just goes over it like it was nothing. That's what I like best about the progressive spring.

Mike Tuck
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 09:32 PM
4th Gear Poster

I installed a set of Eibach's in mine yesterday. I need to get it aligned (the rear camber is quite visibly off now), so I haven't really tested it too much yet, but the 10 or so miles I've put on it don't feel any different than it did with the stock LX springs. I didn't change the shocks, which are a set of Tokico Blues that I put on almost 4 years and 70,000 miles ago. I had to replace the upper front control arms, because the upper left ball joint boot was shredded, and the joint itself was trashed. I also put in new rear spring rubbers.

The only clearance issue I can see is the exhaust. That, and the little bracket that spans the driveshaft tunnel. I have a dynomax catback on mine, and the main pipe just forward of the diferential is the lowest hanging part. The underbody just behind the front fender is just above the top of a Pepsi can now. Everything else looks like it will go up with the wheels when crossing speed bumps, so high centering something is my only real concern now. The had pipe and third cat hang below the tranny pan deep sump, and the fuel lines/filter are protected by the "frame" rail.

My impression is that this is how Ford should have done it in the first place. Not too much, but just right. The ride is still great, the look isn't attention getting, the tires fit the wheel arches. It doesn't "bounce" or bottom out, like my Fiero (with Suspension Techniques springs Monroe shocks/struts, and poly control arm bushings) does.

If you want to see a lowered t-bird without a lot of "bling", I took some pics today, and I should be able to e-mail jpegs to anyone interested in a few days, after I get the roll developed.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 08:39 PM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
just put the ST springs on my lx sport with the stock sport shocks still...its just like the stock sport ride but better cornering and a lil stiffer on the bumps...overall they were worth the upgrade...

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

cool I was waiting to hear how those did on the road. Sounds like a nice upgrade.
-Thomas

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 01:12 PM
PostWhore

I had the Eibachs and Bilsteins done at the same time, so I can't comment just on the springs. But I can say that with these horrible raods in PA, the ride was nothing short of perfect. Car hooked up hard at the track and in the twisties, but still road nice over the bad roads. When I get another daily driver V8 MN12, it'll receive Eibachs.

'97 T-bird LX - 4.6L
The weekend car I never drive

'06 Mustang GT
The Daily
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Yeah there's no doubt in my mind that my Eibachs would be spectacular if I could get some nice shocks. Seeing as bilstiens are either out of production, or in very high demand anymore. 50 bucks more can get you adjustable Koni's. So I think I'll be getting Koni's sometime in the future to see how they ride with Eibach's. Should be nothing short of excellent.
-Thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in