Air suspension - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Air suspension

what all am i gonna need to complete a basic air-ride suspension that will just lower or raise my Bird. Not all that other funny, sideways stuff that they use in competitions. Just looking for for the right basic setup that will raise or lower it with a touch of the switch. although i understand that the mark 8 setup is good, i think i'm looking for something that will react a little quicker than the mark 8 can do. That is, when i flip the switch, the Bird will raise or lower very quickly. not much, maybe 2.5" or so, you know nothing that will require major fabrication, just something that will look cool but at the same time is basic and for the most part, bolt-on. Any help would be appreciated. thanks. oh, yeah, and how will ride quality be effected as far as handling and performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 02:37 PM
drag-aholic

BAGGEDBIRDS.com

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Dan
3rd Gear Poster

Somebody else was asking about the Mark VIII suspension that I replied to in this area with a list of parts necessary, basically, all the computers, sensors, wiring, airline, compressor, bags, mounting brackets, mark control arms, and you would need to cut the upper rear perches off the mark and weld them onto the Tbird. It would be much easier to run a completely new system which would be alot faster than the mark ( on very small airline, its tiny ) .. if you want something automatic, there are a few systems available, one by airride tech and the other by dakota digital, which will allow you to pre-set a certain height and it will change at the touch of a button, raise up when you start your car. Nothing special, those side to side things youre thinking about are called hydraulics, air doesnt work the same way especially with the sway bars still in place.
- Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Nothing special, those side to side things youre thinking about are called hydraulics, air doesnt work the same way especially with the sway bars still in place.
- Dan
Not exactly. I have air I can hit side, but my sway bars have been cut off to. crisqob...I think there is a small amount welding to be done when you do get your air ride. Depending on what you get for the front will determine if you need brackets on the front. I have air cylinders on the front and I had to have brackets welded on to hold them in place. Now they do make strut bags which are a little more expensive and I do believe they are bolt on but don't quote me on it. A good place for just a simple air ride system is air ride technologies. I havn't bought any products from them but they do carry full systems and they are pretty good. Good Luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Dan
3rd Gear Poster

He said the ones in competitions, so I assumed something a little more extreme, altho with the sway bars removed, side to side articulation is a little better.
Air ride has some good stuff, but its one of the more expensive places to get it .. a Truck magazine would have alot more sources ( just dont use AIM, you get what you pay for, cheap junk )
- Dan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Dan
3rd Gear Poster

He said the ones in competitions, so I assumed something a little more extreme, altho with the sway bars removed, side to side articulation is a little better.
Air ride has some good stuff, but its one of the more expensive places to get it .. a Truck magazine would have alot more sources ( just dont use AIM, you get what you pay for, cheap junk )
- Dan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear Poster

thunderchick94...did you remove the front sway bar? if so, that really isn't a good idea. the front sway bar is a necessary component of the front suspension. i'm not trying to tell you (or anyone else) how to build their car but it is not a good idea.

low, loud, and proud!

-www.baggedbirds.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WickedBird
thunderchick94...did you remove the front sway bar? if so, that really isn't a good idea. the front sway bar is a necessary component of the front suspension. i'm not trying to tell you (or anyone else) how to build their car but it is not a good idea.
It doesn't matter because it's already been removed. Doesn't hurt a thing. I don't race the car and I don't drive it fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in